post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ROAD TRIP!!!

In a couple of weeks I will be off on my annual cross country SL road trip. Last year I drove to Gettysburg PA and back with my third-oldest, taking the Southern route thru the Deep South and then on up into PA thru VA. We had a fantastic time. This year I will be shooting for New England, and I am currently trying to decide whether to take the Curvy Mountain Road route thru Tennesee and then up on thru the Applachias. I'll be going by myself, as all my boys are either too young to go or now think women are cool and I am a drag. I've spent about 5 grand on the old 83 280SL, and I think the old girl is up to it. You all will get a two week vacation from my rantings. Anyone else planning any road trips in the Old Merc?

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 02:34 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
RE: ROAD TRIP!!!

Sounds like fun.How many miles do you think you will cover? I drove from LA to NY once and even tho i had my baby twin daughters in the back,it was a memorable trip.For me the highlights were the Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon,New Orleans and the run up through the Blueridge Parkway.It was quite a convoluted route but i cant remember how many miles i totalled.
Back here in the UK i'm thinking about hitting the road in a few weeks.I used to travel a lot here on business but never really had the time to take in a lot of the places of interest.I have an old friend in Newcastle whom it would be nice to see,Durham Cathedral and i haven't been to bonny Scotland since i was a kid.Then maybe loop back down the west coast through Wordsworth country in the Lake District and via Wales home to London.
Now all i need to do is arrange a bank loan to finance the fuel bill.Or i could fly to southern Spain for £50.....hmmmm
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

A friend of mine just did England on his Harley. Sounds like an excellent way to do it - a month in advance you put your bike on a boat, and then fly out later. He was ablt to beat the high fuel prices and have a hell of ride while he was doing it. He told me he got to meet a lot of the local folks because Harleys are pretty rare there and they would all come over to gawk. I am now considering doing the same thing in year or so in Ireland.

This trip will be about 3800 miles round trip. If I go the Tennesse route, I can include the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 03:52 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 96' W210 & 10' W212
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Sounds like fun.
Hope to do the same on the West Coast from LA to Vancouver, BC sometime in the next few years.

Will you be taking photos and posting here?
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:26 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)

Santa Fe, Austin, or Houston is all I ever get. I-35 is the worst road I have ever been on. Period. This includes numerous other countries, btw. Road rage central basically. It is a bad combo of brainless hicks, or enraged, young speeders.
I-45 is not bad. Moves fast, thank goodness because like I-35 it aint too pretty. Highway 287 to I-25 is the best of this trio. Not much traffic, scenic once into New Mexico, and smooth roads. Of course the highway patrol is nutsy around Childress (gotta make that revenue!). Once you get out of the police state of Texas the driving always gets better. There are so many good high desert/mountain roads around Santa Fe that it is quite literally intoxicating.
At some point in my life I would love to take several months off and drive across the country. Maybe someday... Sigh...
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

I did New Mexico in my 77 280E about four years ago. I usually take Texas 36 from Houston to Amarillo, and cut over from there. New Mexico is the most mind blowing road trip ride in the Southwest. Had a blast and would do it again.

That stretch of I-35 from Austin, especially from Waco on, is the most bizarre, freaked out, Twilight Zone driving experience in the country. I NEVER take the trip unless I am armed. We call it The Crazy Fucker Highway. It is like not congested enough to slow traffic, so you get a mass amount of automobiles bumper to bumper driving 85, who all at once slam on their brakes when they see a cop or have an accident, or are contending with the guys who are weaving in and out at a 100 (Shane?). Everyone is in a bad mood. Bubba in his big-block pickup truck is at war with the rest of the world on that stretch. Mix that in with homeboys moving between the big cities, a million Mexicans headed north to steal your job, and young guys driving german hot rods and you got one hell of a mix.

post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
OceanView - 6/14/2005 5:52 PM

Sounds like fun.
Hope to do the same on the West Coast from LA to Vancouver, BC sometime in the next few years.

Will you be taking photos and posting here?
You betcha, got the old digital ready too. You'll also get to check out my new FM wheels and cop car tires.

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 07:45 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Best road trip was a freebie. My dad did an ad campaign for this company that repo's cars and then allows people to drive them back to their original destination. I sat in an office waiting with a bunch of German hitchikers, despot's and assorted cretins. It was a crap shoot. They would call out your name, "Helmut Schmiessinger!!" And you would come up to the desk. A morbidly, obese guy with a face like a Krakus ham then told you where to go. "Toledo!!" There was alot of snickering. Since he knew who I was, he told me "Sitdown an' don't say nuttin'". When everyone else was done, he gave me the Chicago to Los Angeles trip. We were just married and poor as Okies so we did the whole Route 66 thing. There is a passage in Fear and Loathing where Thompson describes coming into Barstow at night is like slowly, gracefully landing a jet and it was just so. My favorite place to this day is Tucumcari N.M. I'm going on and on but if anyone ever has the time to do it, you wont regret it. Godspeed on your trip KV.

post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 09:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm excited for you, Kirk. We chose to go to Nova Scotia for our vacation.....then we decided to postpone until next year since we have so many other things going on. We're still going on vacation, just not such an extensive and distant one. for now, we need to simplfy.

I hope you have a fun and safe trip Kirk.......take the assault rifle.

aborted Shop Forum member

post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 10:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

cool kv. take the blue ridge parkway.. it's nice.. a bit congested in places though.. nice camping at Mt. Mitchel... and nice amenities at Shenandoah NP... speed limit is a bit slow so plan accordingly... from Front Royale just hit I81 to get through the crappy upper mid-atlantic. of course there is gettisburg, DC and all that... have fun

well i did a trip to Isle Royale recently... definitely recommend it if you like nature..

may go out to PA, VA next month or canoe for 3weeks... and then in august either Canada or upper peninsula of MI...

in political asylum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in