post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: ROAD TRIP!!!

Dude, I bet I could make Cape Cod from Danvers in well, maybe 30 minutes, but in 45 minutes for sure, I mean we are talking Massachusetts here - not Texas. But I really never have kicked around the Danvers area much, being more from the Portsmouth, NH area, so I appreciate your tour tips - Higgins and Old Orchard Beaches, you are referring to Old Orchard in Maine, are you not? I will be in that area a lot, as my uncle lives in Casco Bay, Maine and I will be visiting him for a few days. Higgin's Beach sounds interesting, and is probably not far from there, as he is 20 minutes from Old Orchard.

I've been to Marblehead a number of times. It is truly a beautiful place. I know exactly the harbor of which you speak. There are a few spots like that on the New Hampshire coast as well, if you drive the various off shoots of US 1, like 1-A, which takes you to the lobster boat harbors between Rye and Portsmouth - but my favorite is the Kittery Town Docks, just across the harbor from Portsmouth in Maine. There is a fantastic resturant that overlooks Kittery Harbor on the shore at the beginning of the docks, where you can pig on seafood and watch the sailboats and lobster boats do their thing, directly across from an old shoal with a lighthouse. Quintessimal New England. When the sun rises, it is a fantastic place to eat breakfat too, as the sun turns the Atlantic into a sheet of glass dotted with colorful sails and little white caps. A great place to nurse a hangover, after a night in York. If I remember right, Marblehead is a lot like that, too. I will try to post some pictures of it.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Speaking of 280SLs, this one on getting buzz on the SL forum is a steal if what the seller is saying is true, that he has records going all the way back to Germany:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4555848730&catego ry=6338

Altho Botnst seems to be boycotting us these days, if I was looking for one for the wife to drive that I could also putter with, I'd buy that one in a minute. 78 was a great year for the 280 engine, heck, my 77 280E would blow the doors off my 83 280SL. For five grand, I would scratch and claw to get my hands on this car, in fact, maybe I can raise the cash........

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 01:09 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: '85 300TD
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sagamore,+MA+to+danvers,+MA&spn=0.892578,1. 809798&hl=en

? You must have something special under the hood of that SL....

Any chance you want to pick me up in Sandwich and drop me off at Logan on the 7th? current plan is bus.

Kittery is great too. And yes Higgins is in Maine. Old Orchard has the maine equivalent of the Jersey Shore- lots of canadian and american tourists, t-shirt shops- cheap hotels, etc. blah! Higgins is pristine and locals-only.

Here it is; my island!
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sagamore,+MA+to+danvers,+MA&ll=42.512329,-70.814617&spn=0.009806,0.015342&t=k&hl=en

'85 300TD Pastel Beige
361,500 miles and counting
post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Where is Sandwich? Will you have a cell phone?

post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 09:42 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Where is cell phone? Will you have a sandwich?

post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 11:40 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: '85 300TD

Quote:
kvining - 6/16/2005 10:00 PM

Where is Sandwich? Will you have a cell phone?
click the map link on my previous post. Sandwich is just across the Sagamore bridge on Cape Cod- technically you come across the bridge into sagamore, then go 'round the rotary and head a mile or two up the cape to sandwich. I'll have a phone, but there is a massive military base that sometimes seems to brown-out the service...

my flight is at 3, so I've got to get up to Logan by 1:30-2 at the latest. If it works out, maybe we could grab lunch and write love letters to sklasse and vabonedudehead.

'85 300TD Pastel Beige
361,500 miles and counting
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Ok. PM me your cell #, and I'll call you when I am on the road. I am leaving on Jun 30, so I will probably be in Danvers on the 6th if I take in some sites. If I am not going to make it by then I'll call you and let you know by the 4th - will that work? I have quite figured out what cell I am taking with me yet, when I do I'll PM it to you.

I haven't done Logan since the new Big Dig was put in, you better know the way.

post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 10:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1984 300D Turbo

Quote:
kvining - 6/17/2005 2:02 AM

I haven't done Logan since the new Big Dig was put in, you better know the way.

it's easy just take the tunnel if ur coming up from the cape.

from danvers to sandwich you should budget at least 1.5 hrs..
it would be 30 mins. but by plane!

have a good trip!

1984 300D Turbo - 231k.. son's car now... totalled 11/30/07 RIP

send lawyers, guns, & money...
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Yeah, I thought about it and you guys are right, I am way underestimating the travel time.

post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 10:54 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1989 300 TE

Good Luck on your trip! I say go though TN because I have and it is beautiful!

Planning to take a trip to St. Louis in Sept. in the wagon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in