What side of Houston do you live on? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 07:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
RE: What side of Houston do you live on?

The story sounds like BS in general. Anything over 90 is "driving to endanger", a felony. You don't get a ticket for that here, you get the slammer. Even on a standard speeding ticket, if you are an out of stater, 9 times out of ten they will take you to the slammer or demand you make bail (equivelent to the fine) right then and there. There is good reason for it too - we have horrendous auto accidents here caused by bozos driving those kinds of speeds, accidents were a lot of people get killed. We had one in Houston a year ago where some stunt driver hit a family in a van head on. He killed 9 people, most of them children. The state cops here don't like cleaning up that kind of mess, and when they catch someone drving over 90, they come down hard.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 08:03 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
kvining - 6/9/2005 8:46 PM

The story sounds like BS in general. Anything over 90 is "driving to endanger", a felony. You don't get a ticket for that here, you get the slammer. Even on a standard speeding ticket, if you are an out of stater, 9 times out of ten they will take you to the slammer or demand you make bail (equivelent to the fine) right then and there. There is good reason for it too - we have horrendous auto accidents here caused by bozos driving those kinds of speeds, accidents were a lot of people get killed. We had one in Houston a year ago where some stunt driver hit a family in a van head on. He killed 9 people, most of them children. The state cops here don't like cleaning up that kind of mess, and when they catch someone drving over 90, they come down hard.
Then YOU should move HERE. In many cases the cops will put you down for 69 mph no matter what your speed was in an effort to avert paperwork I assume. Anything less than 80 in the fast lane and you are pelted with pink pansies as they fly by. Many times there'll be a cop on my ass and I'll move over to let him whizz by. For the most part, they only pass out tickets when the town officials deem it necessary.

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 10:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon

its not BS, why would i lie about speeding?

it cost me 300 some dollars! where can i find evidence of it? heh heh i'd really like you to know im not a bullshitter. what do i have to gain for telling the story? internet fame for horrendously outdriving my tires? wasting money?

is abilene east or west texas? it was 20 or 10. ive only driven through once, it was enough. the west is a wasteland that people shouldnt live in. he asked me what my hurry was and i told him i was heading home to dixieland.

i wasnt really endangering anyone but myself, the road was a straight line and was nearly empty. come to think of it, i drove at excessive speed nearly the whole trip, the roads really ask for it out there, there arent any curves or hills!

a lot of people dont like alabama, mercedes people make up a big part of these people(so im not off topic?) ive never ridden in an M-Class, are they really that bad?

i will say this is why i bought shlomo, his top speed is a good 30mph less than leons, its much too easy to speed, i have to consciously make myself go the limit(my insurance is hell- bad driver) and even then it creeps up to 80-85 to keep up with traffic.

im invading this thread, ill stop now, many apologies to the owner!

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 10:36 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1989 300 TE

Take a trip down the coast to Port Lavaca or C Christi or Padre Island. You will find nice water front places there, or you can go to Austin and north to go mountain and hill climbing. You could take a trip down the rapids or go spend a week on a ranch and ride the horses or just plan hang out. Seeing some awesome music in Austin. I once saw Steve Ray Vaughn because U2 was sold out and late in the performance. Bono showed up at the club and got on stage with Vaughn. I am only scratching the surface. Sure there are allot of sell out areas. There is a lot of land here and plenty of room for that in the state as big a Germany. Speaking of Germany, it is very hard to find so many German decent areas in one state as there are in Texas. All of this in pretty much a weekend or a long weekend trip. At the same time during the year, you can usually go snow skiing in the pan handle or water skiing on one of the many lakes. Sure the big cities don't have great planning, rapid unexpected growth and poor city management combined for that. They have been working on I-45 my entire 39 years, but they are finally catching up. If you don't believe me or think I am just boasting. I am sure you can find plenty of information and pictures on the net. Oh, and I can't forget the state of the next national champion University of Texas Longhorns! Hook'em!!
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 07:39 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEL & 1995 E300D
Send a message via AIM to jupiterpbc Send a message via Yahoo to jupiterpbc

iNeon,

I was only pointing out that I-10 does not pass thru Abilene, rather it is I-20.

I don't doubt that doing 110MPH netted you a ticket in excess of $300 and I also concur with kvining that excessive speeding in some areas will net you a visit to jail if the infraction occurs after business hours. It is not uncommon for an excessive speeder with out-of-state plates/residency to have their ass waltzed straight to a magistrate, regardless of the hour, to answer the charge.

An in-law of mine confirmed the above. He is a retired Texas state trooper from Eastland/Ranger, TX.

Having previously lived in both Abilene and Dallas for an aggregate of 24 years I can confirm that the drive from El Paso to Dallas, all 600+ miles of it, is some of the most uneventful driving you will ever experience. It begs you to drive triple digits.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in