Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Analysts Behind Iraq Intelligence Were Rewarded

Washington Post
Saturday, May 28, 2005

Two Army analysts whose work has been cited as part of a key intelligence failure on Iraq -- the claim that aluminum tubes sought by the Baghdad government were most likely meant for a nuclear weapons program rather than for rockets -- have received job performance awards in each of the past three years, officials said.

The civilian analysts, former military men considered experts on foreign and U.S. weaponry, work at the Army's National Ground Intelligence Center (NGIC), one of three U.S. agencies singled out for particular criticism by President Bush's commission that investigated U.S. intelligence.

The Army analysts concluded that it was highly unlikely that the tubes were for use in Iraq's rocket arsenal, a finding that bolstered a CIA contention that they were destined for nuclear centrifuges, which was in turn cited by the Bush administration as proof that Saddam Hussein was reconstituting Iraq's nuclear weapons program.

The problem, according to the commission, which cited the two analysts' work, is that they did not seek or obtain information available from the Energy Department and elsewhere showing that the tubes were indeed the type used for years as rocket-motor cases by Iraq's military. The panel said the finding represented a "serious lapse in analytic tradecraft" because the center's personnel "could and should have conducted a more exhaustive examination of the question."

Pentagon spokesmen said the awards for the analysts were to recognize their overall contributions on the job over the course of each year. But some current and former officials, including those who called attention to the awards, said the episode shows how the administration has failed to hold people accountable for mistakes on prewar intelligence.

Complete article here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...052701618.html

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 05:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
RE: Analysts Behind Iraq Intelligence Were Rewarded

Of course they did. ame with Bolton - he also cooked up false intelligence. They are being rewarded, because they did what the administration wanted - they lied about Iraq so we could attack them.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 09:11 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 91 350SDL; 84 300d; 71 220D; 68 280S; 93 300d (2); 86 420SEL; 83 280SL (grey); 83 240D;
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In Bushland, up is down, black is white and the recent attacks in Iraq show the rebels are getting weaker...

Remember, Tenent got the Medal of Freedom along with that loser Brenner, late of the CPA who lost 8.8 billion in oil funds that can't be found...

Boy, it is time for Impeachment...let her rip

real engines don't have spark plugs
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 09:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Nothing in gov is crazier than the bonus/reward system. I have watched it for a sufficent period of time that I am no longer surprised by it. It is out of control. Multiply this injustice by the total number of Fed workers and you'll have a clue as to how insane it is.

oh, and just as you'd suspect, most of the awards go to upper mgmt.

Write your Congressmen.

Bot
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 560 SEL Euro
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i dont get one thing..

what the heck is soo special about aluminum tubes.. they are used in various feilds..

ok i will stock a few dozen of aluminum tubes.. CIA come get me
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 07:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

Quote:
theboss - 6/1/2005 6:16 AM

i dont get one thing..

what the heck is soo special about aluminum tubes.. they are used in various feilds..

Don't laugh. It can happen.

Aluminum is a material that in most of its forms and alloys, has very poor mechanical properties. For the applications in question, you need very special aluminum. No one considering a special personal relationship with aluminum tubing would use this stuff as it is outrageously expensive, and can only be produced by a few sources. Thus, it is easy to attract unwanted attention when you get into the act of buying it. For personal use the cheap stuff will do fine. Jim
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 11:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
theboss - 6/1/2005 6:16 AM

i dont get one thing..

To separate certain chemicals you have to spin them in centerfuges. The aluminum tubes make up the arms of the centerfuge. The smoothness of the aluminum effects the quality of some of these chemicals. The tubes were actually used to cast artillery shells and artillery rockets. The intelligence analysts at the Dept of Energy pointed out to these bozos that the tubes in question were not the correct type for nuke production because they were of the wrong smoothness, and were most likely for artillery production.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in