post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 06:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
RE: Feeling safe after 9/11 yet?

Let's see.

Before and including 9/11 we were successfully attacked three times: outside of CIA HQ, and twice at the WTC. And one highly dangerous attack for Y2K was prevented by one very alert, careful border officer.

Since 9/11, no attacks.

I don't think we'll continue to be this lucky, but I believe that the responsible fed agencies especially, are at a level of vigilence that has not been seen in this country since WWII.

It is a virtual certainty they will fail and it is highly likely that the failure will result in catastrophic losses.

I am more confident now in our defensive systems than in the systems that were in place prior to 9/11. Additionally, Al Queda was agrowing, expanding threat protected by several states for training purposes. Those states either no longer exist or have drastically amended their ways and are no either actively pursuing Al Quedistas or are at least no longer actively, flagrantly concealing them as a policy of state. We are actively hunting and killing the bad guys, which I deeply appreciate and laud.

IOW, I don't feel especially safe, certainly less safe than 9/10/01 when my life was lived in blissfully ignorant non-Al Queda delusion. That delusion is gone, but with it also has gone complacent ignorance.

I do not feel more safe, but I believe that short of a police state, we are as safe as we can afford either in liberty or money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Well, I'm glad for you that you are comfortable with the directions this nation is heading. Record spending and deficits, expansion of corporate power, arrogant exercise of military power, and nothing to improve the crumbling infrastructure and manufacturing base. Truly pathetic.

OBK #35

post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 10:40 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 1982 300SD

I do not think it is possible for the governemt to "protect" us from an attack planned and carried out by people not afraid to die. Recent tests by the government on airport security shows NO IMPROVEMENT despit the tremendous expenditures of $ and the reduction of citizens' rights.
A small pure terrot attack in the heartland would set this country on edge. If you live the DC area, just think back to how two murders held the entire area hostage before they were captured. Less than a dozen people were shot, but millions of people altered their lives--What if that were done in a few widely scattered areas at the same time? Scary!
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 11:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Quote:
S-KLASSE8 - 5/20/2005 2:14 PM

I say be proactive and put our money in bettering intelligence and wiping out the terrorist before they strike.....
Great...

When are we going to start?
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
To my fellow boiling frogs: "Is it hot in here, or is it just me?"

Whatever happened to the perps/masterminds behind 9/11? As citizens, shouldn't we expect our "leaders" to hunt down and bring to justice those responsible for such a troubling incident? Instead, we're squandering billions and tens of thousands of lives on a pointless misadventure that in fact, just makes us less secure. There are those among us who cheer this display of malfeasance with a kind of wide-eyed fervor I can only describe as 'faith-based citizen (dis)engagement'-- so convinced are they that those folks in high places have their best interests in mind, that they'll suspend disbelief and accept wrong as right, theft as a blessing and murder as acceptable.

Endless war against an indeterminate enemy is a recipe for endless insecurity.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 04:26 AM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL
RE: To my fellow boiling frogs: "Is it hot in here, or is it just me?"

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 5/21/2005 6:16 AM

Whatever happened to the perps/masterminds behind 9/11? As citizens, shouldn't we expect our "leaders" to hunt down and bring to justice those responsible for such a troubling incident? Instead, we're squandering billions and tens of thousands of lives on a pointless misadventure that in fact, just makes us less secure. There are those among us who cheer this display of malfeasance with a kind of wide-eyed fervor I can only describe as 'faith-based citizen (dis)engagement'-- so convinced are they that those folks in high places have their best interests in mind, that they'll suspend disbelief and accept wrong as right, theft as a blessing and murder as acceptable.

Endless war against an indeterminate enemy is a recipe for endless insecurity.
It seems to me part of the problem lies in the unwillingness to question authority. I don't just mean the political establishment. This lack of 'intellectual balls' is surely correlated with the growth of religion in the US. It must also be connected to nationalism and the notion that the state embodies some kind of worthy set of values. Again, the US is pretty strong on nationalism. Ic ould be entirely wrong about this because this does not apply to the UK 9at least not as strongly) and we (i.e. labour-voting morons) re-elected the warmongers.

This is a non-sequiteur but it still amazes me that Tony Blair can go to church with all that blood seeping from his shoes as he sits there with that pious expression - and get away with it - the priest should chase him out of the church.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 09:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
old300D - 5/21/2005 12:26 AM

Well, I'm glad for you that you are comfortable with the directions this nation is heading. Record spending and deficits, expansion of corporate power, arrogant exercise of military power, and nothing to improve the crumbling infrastructure and manufacturing base. Truly pathetic.
You asked me if I felt safer after 9/11, which I addressed directly and in detail, upon which you proceed to argue a series of non sequiturs, presumably to demonstrate that I really should be living in mortal fear?

I can argue with non sequiturs, too. I'll try to live in fear so we can be a nation united in fear. Then I'll feel self-righteous indignation about the political leadership constitutionally chosen by the majority.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Botnst - 5/21/2005 9:52 AM

Quote:
old300D - 5/21/2005 12:26 AM

You asked me if I felt safer after 9/11, which I addressed directly and in detail, upon which you proceed to argue a series of non sequiturs, presumably to demonstrate that I really should be living in mortal fear?

I can argue with non sequiturs, too. I'll try to live in fear so we can be a nation united in fear. Then I'll feel self-righteous indignation about the political leadership constitutionally chosen by the majority.
Whatever. Your reply seemed complacent, so I attempted to point out nothing has been done to correct some glaring holes in the nation's security. Go ahead, be as obtuse as you want.

OBK #35

post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 12:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '90 560SEL, V8 Landcruiser, Toyota S/Wagon

Terrorism has no boundaries.
Down this way, we recently had a 1080 contamination hoax of a small town water reservoir, and a "Foot and Mouth" disease hoax letter that quarantined a small local island but cost $millions in a "just in case" response.
The impact of such threats - upscaled to US ,GB, or European perspectives I honestly have difficulty in comprehending.
Seems that anyone who can lick a stamp or txt a message can hold whole communities - let alone countries to temporary ransom.
Reality is perhaps found in how we daily go about our business of living.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 01:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

You have nothing to fear, shrimpton. No one gives a shit about your piss ant island.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in