LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Newsweek scandal to be an excuse to censor US Press?

What's up with these comments? This one is typical of statements by a number of government officials?

"People lost their lives. People are dead,� Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said. “People need to be very careful about what they say, just as they need to be careful about what they do.�

Hey Rummy, let me be careful about what I say here: carefully, carefully, go fuck yourself.

Sorry about the dead guys, but this story started with statements made by some guy who works for you, and the press had every right to report it. Too bad they didn't have the balls to stand by it as you bullied them into self-censorship.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 12:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Newsweek scandal to be an excuse to censor US Press?

hey wait a minute, where does he mention censorship?

aborted Shop Forum member

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 07:13 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Allow me to elaborate on Rum's word's

Quote:

"People lost their lives. People are dead,� Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said. “People need to be very careful about what they say, just as they need to be careful about what they do.
- when you're dealing with a country of shoeless religous fanatics with a swarthy, raging boner for anything western. While you probably will never see the people of Altoona, Pennsylvania dragging the morbid remains of a U.S. pilot through the city streets, or televised decapitations during sweeps week on Fox, it seems to be a-ok in that country of mud people. Newsweek should be ashamed for carelessly reporting what my office leaked to them, and we wholeheartedly support legal action against them to appease the angry masses and to divert attention from our holy cause.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 07:34 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)

Ironic that Rummy and crew will do anything to stifle democracy while championing (through the military of course) its cause at the same time! Too funny if it did not involve so many people's welfare.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 07:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 2002 C230

What's really weird to me is that there seems to be no real effort being made to either confirm or deny these allegations by the US Gov't.
Surprisingly, all effort seems to be to go on the offensive against the "liberal media".

I really don't see where Newsweek went wrong. They got a story, tried to get it confirmed, and ran up against a brick wall. If there's any fault, it's with the gov't for not addressing the question when it was asked.

Nothing from Rummy, Rice, or any of the other men in the current adminstration surprises me any more.

2002 Ccoupe, not as good as others, apparently
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
kvining - 5/17/2005 1:47 AM

“People need to be very careful about what they say, just as they need to be careful about what they do.�
Stalin would be proud.

in political asylum
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:52 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)

I feel freedom slip, slip, slip'in away. Can someone save us from the savers?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 01:33 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1979 300SD, 1983 300D Mercedes
Send a message via AIM to 79-300SD

Newsweek SHOULD be prosecuted for Libel...and terroristic actions...by supporting the heathen bastards who are too damn dumb to be educated.

----------------------------------------

Speed is a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

Proud Owner of a

1979 W116 300SD

1983 W123 300D

Come join us at http://schumanautomotive.com/forums
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 09:09 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2003

Quote:
kvining - 5/17/2005 1:47 AM

What's up with these comments? This one is typical of statements by a number of government officials?

"People lost their lives. People are dead,� Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said. “People need to be very careful about what they say, just as they need to be careful about what they do.�

Hey Rummy, let me be careful about what I say here: carefully, carefully, go fuck yourself.

Sorry about the dead guys, but this story started with statements made by some guy who works for you, and the press had every right to report it. Too bad they didn't have the balls to stand by it as you bullied them into self-censorship.
I understand your basic stance when it comes to the government. That aside, unless there is more to this quote, Rumsfeld's words are, at best, ambiguous. There is nothing in them that can reasonably be interpreted as a prelude to censorship. One could just as easily make the case that he is saying "Hey guys, if you're going to print something, please make sure it's accurate."

I doubt Newsweek can be "bullied". If they were sure of themselves, they would not hesitate to claim the story as legitimate news. I know courts cannot deny legitimate parade permits (ie. Nazis in a Jewish neighborhood) simply based on public reaction. I would imagine the same principle would hold here.

Freedom of speech is probably our most protected right. Despite the Patriot Act, I think even the most conservative court would hesitate before tampering with that one to the degree you suggest. It's also my understanding that Newsweek quoted the usual un-named authoritative source. That does not automatically mean the individual works for Rumsfeld. All govt. employees work for the President, not the Secretary of Defense. Just my .02 worth.

'08 C300 Sport/Barolo Red/Gray-Black Leather/6 SP/AMG Wheels/iPod/P2/MultiMedia/Tele Aid
'09 Pasion Coupe/Gray Metallic/Black Tridion/Comfort Package/Solid Roof/Premium Sound/Fog Lights/Clock-Tach/Anti-Theft/Navigation/Bluetooth
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 10:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

Just because the US government is denying these allegations Newsweek reported on, there is considerable evidence Koran desecration was taking place. Newsweeks' sources may have been silenced, but the report still seems to based on facts. I mean, come on, we are torturing these people using all sorts of demoralization and intimidation, why would we stop at desecrating a religious symbol? It seems stupid to me.

http://www.democracynow.org/article..../05/18/1434259

OBK #35

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in