post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 12:36 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
RE: Why fact-checking is important

Quote:
theboss - 5/16/2005 1:01 PM

it just took one god damn story for muslims to start violent protests, damage their own public proterty and kill their own fellows.. how ignorant methods of protests!!
I agree! The muslims should just take it up the rear and be happy about it, just like all the good americans do! Stupid muslims, they must all be inept to not let a great power like the USA rule their world. Such ingrates! Bush knows what is best for everyone! How dare anyone question this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 01:33 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1979 300SD, 1983 300D Mercedes
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 79-300SD

Yeah Shane stick up for the murderous muslim bastards......there aren't enough uneducated flunkies doing that now.

----------------------------------------

Speed is a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

Proud Owner of a

1979 W116 300SD

1983 W123 300D

Come join us at http://schumanautomotive.com/forums
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 01:33 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1979 300SD, 1983 300D Mercedes
Send a message via AIM to 79-300SD

Yeah Shane stick up for the murderous muslim bastards......there aren't enough uneducated flunkies doing that now.

Speed is a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

Proud Owner of a

1979 W116 300SD

1983 W123 300D

Come join us at http://schumanautomotive.com/forums
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 01:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 560 SEL Euro

Quote:
Shane - 5/16/2005 2:36 PM

Quote:

it just took one god damn story for muslims to start violent protests, damage their own public proterty and kill their own fellows.. how ignorant methods of protests!!
I agree! The muslims should just take it up the rear and be happy about it, just like all the good americans do! Stupid muslims, they must all be inept to not let a great power like the USA rule their world. Such ingrates! Bush knows what is best for everyone! How dare anyone question this!
i did not mean that dumbass!! what i wanted to express is that there are better and educated methods of protest that tearing down ur own public assests and stuff like that!!
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 01:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

Quote:
Botnst - 5/16/2005 9:02 AM

Quote:
old300D - 5/16/2005 11:01 AM

Quote:
Botnst - 5/15/2005 9:57 PM

I look forward to the day
You find something pleasant to say.
Either speak truth to power, or bend over. Easy to see what your choice is.
I'm looking at the back of your head as you type.
That's not a very pleasant thing to say, Mr. Sunshine. Keep your head firmly planted, and it won't hurt so bad.

OBK #35

post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
old300D - 5/16/2005 3:46 PM

Quote:
Botnst - 5/16/2005 9:02 AM

Quote:
old300D - 5/16/2005 11:01 AM

Quote:

Either speak truth to power, or bend over. Easy to see what your choice is.
I'm looking at the back of your head as you type.
That's not a very pleasant thing to say, Mr. Sunshine. Keep your head firmly planted, and it won't hurt so bad.
Heck, all indications are you'd like it.

Remember that you're the one who started it, I'm just responding to your witty little remarks.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

Quote:

Right, you are the witty one, aren't you?

OBK #35

post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
old300D - 5/16/2005 5:04 PM

Quote:

Right, you are the witty one, aren't you?
I look foward to the day,
You have something pleasnt to say.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 04:16 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)

Quote:
theboss - 5/16/2005 2:40 PM

Quote:
Shane - 5/16/2005 2:36 PM

Quote:

i did not mean that dumbass!! what i wanted to express is that there are better and educated methods of protest that tearing down ur own public assests and stuff like that!!
Like we didn't know that would happen? Wouldn't take a freakin' genius to figure out people with nothing have nothing to lose! Can someone really say what the hell we are doing in Iraq? No WMD's, no formal ties to terrorists, and no support among the people either here or there. Halliburton and pals is the only thing I can come up with. Cheers to Cheney.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Newsweek Retracts Report About Koran Desecration (Update2)

May 16 (Bloomberg) -- Newsweek magazine today retracted a report it published earlier this month that sparked riots in Afghanistan and elsewhere, leaving at least 16 people dead.

``Based on what we know now, we are retracting our original story that an internal military investigation had uncovered Koran abuse at Guantanamo Bay,'' Newsweek editor Mark Whitaker said in an e-mailed statement.

The retraction followed denunciations of the Newsweek report by Bush administration officials. White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan called Whitaker's statement ``a good first step.''

``We encourage Newsweek to now work diligently to undue the damage that can be undone,'' McClellan said.

In its May 9 issue, the magazine cited an unnamed U.S. government official as saying investigators found evidence that U.S. guards at the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, detention center desecrated the Koran, including an incident in which the Muslim holy book was flushed down a toilet, in order to provoke detainees into talking.

Local Muslim leaders in Pakistan and Afghanistan seized on the article and called for anti-U.S. demonstrations. Over a four- day period last week at least 16 people died, a United Nations compound in Afghanistan was attacked and crowds burned American flags and effigies of U.S. president George W. Bush.

Apology
The magazine reported yesterday that its source for the story subsequently said he could not be sure the information was in the official results of the investigation. In a column, Whitaker wrote, ``We regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst.''

McClellan said before Newsweek's retraction that the article contributed to deaths, damaged the image of the U.S. and fell short of journalistic standards.

``This report has had serious consequences,'' McClellan said today in West Point, Virginia, where the president was giving a speech. ``It has caused damage to the image of the United States abroad and people have lost their lives.''

State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said U.S. diplomats worldwide were attempting to counter the effect of the Newsweek story by giving interviews to Arab and South Asian media. ``We have made clear, I think, that there is the utmost respect for religion of the prisoners,'' Boucher said.

Investigation
Officials at the U.S. military's Southern Command, who already were investigating the treatment of detainees at the Guantanamo Bay facility, opened another investigation into the allegations contained in the Newsweek report.

``We can't find anything to substantiate the allegation,'' Air Force General Richard Myers, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, said today at the U.S. Capitol.

The Guantanamo Bay center holds prisoners captured during the war in Afghanistan, begun by the U.S. after the Sept. 11 attacks to overthrow the Taliban regime that had harbored Osama bin Laden and his al-Qaeda terrorist organization.

The Southern Command, which oversees Guantanamo Bay as well as military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, announced in January it was investigating interrogation techniques at the facility after FBI agents reported abuses at the prison. Abuse allegations also have been leveled by human rights groups such as the Center for Constitutional Rights in New York and by former detainees.

To contact the reporter on this story:
Brendan Murray in Washington at brmurray@bloomberg.net

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in