Why fact-checking is important - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 08:56 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
RE: Why fact-checking is important

The seeds of distrust will grow regardless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: FOX NEWS ALERT!!!

Quote:
kvining - 5/15/2005 10:17 PM

Well dude, your gang has created a world where it makes no difference to the rest of the world. Abu Garib, fake WMDs, bullshit reasons for occupying Iraq, all add up to one thing, the rest of the world now automatically believes the worst of us. But you don;t have to worry - it is already obvious how all of this is going to play out internally in the US - the right wing Ministry of Information has already shifted into to high gear to discredit Newsweek, even tho the false information was fed to them by someone in the government. Instead of asking why the US has put itself in a position to touch off worldwide riots over a book going down a toilet, or why someone in the government provided this information to a liberal news source, you can just have another "Dan Rather" holiday. We all know the desired end result - in the end all of the news organizations will be destroyed except for those feeding us official bullshit as "news" as you and your cronies build us our new fascist government.
Well dude, it's your government too. Better luck in the next election, though I hope my party makes vast inroads against yours and the the presidents.

I hope you understand that facts, even if it doesn't point the way we may wish, are important. This may come as a shock to you, but I believe most people are fair-minded and considerate of each other and don't intentionally hatefully malign each other.

The rest of your stuff is just too strange for me to understand.

B
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 09:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Well dude, here's the good news: this continual, daily meltdown of Bush's world is leading right to something even I did not think possible a month ago, which is Hillary Clinton walking right into the White House. Never have I seen so many people viscerally disgusted by a president and his party so soon after an election. The Smear Machine is losing its edge, and people just aren't buying the load of crap Iraq has turned into any more. Between that and trying to hand SSI over to Wall Street, you guys are dead. Nothing is getting any better for anybody - the Dead Duck Stock Market, the government that borrows us into economic madness, the endless unwinable war, the moronic failed foreign policy, the long term outlook on jobs, the long term outlook on energy, the free ride for illegal immigrants and their employers, the mass shipment of tech jobs and manufacturing overseas, the whole damn thing is being steered into the rocks and there will be hell to pay.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

I look forward to the day
You find something pleasant to say.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 5/15/2005 9:57 PM

Either speak truth to power, or bend over. Easy to see what your choice is.

OBK #35

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
old300D - 5/16/2005 11:01 AM

Quote:
Botnst - 5/15/2005 9:57 PM

Either speak truth to power, or bend over. Easy to see what your choice is.
I'm looking at the back of your head as you type.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Muslims skeptical over Newsweek back-track on Koran

Email this Story

May 16, 8:56 AM (ET)

Google sponsored links
Consumer Credit Counselor - Reduce your credit card debt 60% Debt free in 12-36mo. 800-353-7630
www.creditsolutions.com

Stop Home Foreclosure - Free Info. Save Your Home & Credit. Fast, Professional Help. 50 States.
US-Loss-Mitigation-Advantage

By Sayed Salahuddin

KABUL (Reuters) - Muslims in Afghanistan and Pakistan were skeptical Monday about an apparent retraction by Newsweek magazine of a report that U.S. interrogators desecrated the Koran and said U.S. pressure was behind the climb-down.

The report in Newsweek's May 9 issue sparked protests across the Muslim world from Afghanistan, where 16 were killed and more than 100 injured, to Pakistan, India, Indonesia and Gaza.

Newsweek said Sunday the report might not be true.

"We will not be deceived by this," Islamic cleric Mullah Sadullah Abu Aman told Reuters in the northern Afghan province of Badakhshan, referring to the magazine's retraction.

"This is a decision by America to save itself. It comes because of American pressure. Even an ordinary illiterate peasant understands this and won't accept it."

Aman was the leader of a group of clerics who Sunday vowed to call for a holy war against the United States in three days unless it handed over the military interrogators reported to have desecrated the Koran.

That call for a jihad, or holy war, still stood, he said.

Newsweek originally said investigators probing abuses at the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay found that interrogators "had placed Korans on toilets, and in at least one case flushed a holy book down the toilet."

Muslims consider the Koran the literal word of God and treat each book with deep reverence.

Last week's bloody anti-American protests across Afghanistan were the worst since U.S. forces invaded in 2001 to oust the Taliban for sheltering Osama bin Laden and his al Qaeda network.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 10:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I don't blame them for being skeptical. One news story reports that the Pentagon says their investigation reveals only two incidents of Koran descretion, and in one the "prisoner used pages of his koran to stuff up his toilet in some sort of protest". To me, that sounds like what would be entered in a log by an abusive guard after he had broke regulations and stuffed some guys koran down the toilet. For proof for my theory, I offer this: any prisoner in Gitmo who stuffed a koran down the toilet was signing his own death warrant at the hands of other prisoners - it just doesn't make sense, he might as well hung a sign around his neck that said "please torture me to death". I am sure any Muslim who read of this, given the adjustments to his current world view by way of watching Gitmo torture videos and videos of pickup truck loads of dead Iraqi kids, would see through this bullshit or believe it whether it was true or not. It is easy to see what is going on here - the government doesn't want another Abu Garib, so they pressured Newsweek, who does not want to blamed for the violence anyway, to issue their "retraction".

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 11:10 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1979 300SD, 1983 300D Mercedes
Send a message via AIM to 79-300SD

Blame it on the Liberal press where its more important to diseminate the DNC propaganda than it is to report on the facts....

This previously made famous by Dan Rather known for his philosophy of "Never let the facts get in the way of a story".

Something practiced by all of the liberal media.

----------------------------------------

Speed is a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

Proud Owner of a

1979 W116 300SD

1983 W123 300D

Come join us at http://schumanautomotive.com/forums
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 12:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 560 SEL Euro

it just took one god damn story for muslims to start violent protests, damage their own public proterty and kill their own fellows.. how ignorant methods of protests!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in