rear woodpecker - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 09:16 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 91 350SDL; 84 300d; 71 220D; 68 280S; 93 300d (2); 86 420SEL; 83 280SL (grey); 83 240D;
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: rear woodpecker

Now if mercedes benz could only find quality again. Last seen around 1995?

real engines don't have spark plugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 09:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
GermanStar - 4/29/2005 9:08 PM

Am I the only one who finds the concept of a "rear woodpecker" rather alarming?
I'm with you!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 07:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005

My wife has frequently commented that a 19 inch white pecker like mine is very rare indeed! Got wood? [8)][:D]

"I have spent MOST of the money I have made in my life on expensive women, expensive cars, and expensive drugs. The rest I just wasted." S-KLASSE8, "Belief in the supernatural, reflects a failure in the imagination." - Edward Abbey "Give me a firm place to stand, and I will move the Earth." - Archimedes - 1979 (fully restored) 450SLC - 1989 (fully restored)420SEL - "S CLASS STYLE - S CLASS ATTITUDE"
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 03:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '90 560SEL, V8 Landcruiser, Toyota S/Wagon

Deathrattle - your cross dressing ex-boyfriend was probably correct, BTW - how's the cough these days?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '86 190E 2.3L

now now children..ive seen some sexual tension in the past couple of threads you've both commented on...perhaps the wood pecker could help.

If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
1986 190E 2.3L 135,000mi
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: rare woodpecker

anybody seen any more on this subject? or any pix? i'd apprecaite links... hd crashed last weekend.. finally back up..

in political asylum
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
RE: rare woodpecker

Quote:
mzsmbs - 5/4/2005 3:00 PM

anybody seen any more on this subject? or any pix? i'd apprecaite links... hd crashed last weekend.. finally back up..
These are the folks in charge of the Cache River research that first reported the sighting. It has a video of what they claim is the bird itself. I believe them, mainly because they are respected scientists, not because that video means a dang thing to my eyes. The bird could be a magpie or a pintail, for all the resolution of that sorry-ass video.

DoI Scty Norton indicated that she would find money to expand the research and land acquistion; TNC is busy acquiring land.

If you want the best (only) treatise on the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker, get a copy of, "Ivory-Billed Woodpecker", by Tanner (1942). It was written for educated people who enjoy reading while maintaining a strong eye to biology. In other words, its a good read with lots of careful observational back-up.

In it you'll learn that the birds prefer swamps with trees >12 DBH and that are in the floodplain but usually flood less than a couple of months out of the year. This is the southern bottomland hardwood forest. Typically, the canopy is composed of sweetgum, sugarberry, oaks, and elms. It's usually the batture area in the Mississippi Delta and also up along the Yazoo River. But in Mississippi, its almost all cotton and beans now. The Cache and White Rivers in AR are very challenging for folks who are accustomed to dry woods and open skies.

This should be jurisdictional wetlands, but swamp draining and clearing for farming has destroyed hundreds of thousands of acres of that kind of land.

There are still large tracts of similar forest along the Mississippi River and west into nearly central Louisiana, which is where the last (previously) known breeding pair was sighted. That particular land is now owned by the US Gov, Tensas National Wildlife Refuge. It still has beautiful wild forest cover, but nobody has seen a Ivory-Billed since 1940's out there.

The bird was abundant (according to Audubon) in the swamps north of the present city of Houston in an area known as the "big thicket", a tiny portion of which is now a national park by that name. It occurred eastwarn to Florida, along all those smaller river areas like the Pearl, Wolf, Tchouticabouffa, Pascagoula, Mobile, Conecuh, Appalachicola etc down into central Florida where it was collected in the strands and hammocks. Thence northward along the major creaks and rivers of the coastal plain and lower piedmont into North Carolina.

It was never terribly abundant. Tanner estimated that a breeding pair required about 6 mi^2 of foraging habitat. In comparison, the somewhat similarly appearing Pileated Woodpecker he estimated at 6 pairs per mi^2!

I hate to say it, but this is a doomed bird. It's habitat requirements are so restrictive and under such developmental pressure that I just don't think this really neat creature has a chance.

But then, I think that's the general rule for most of life, especially given the human population's incredible growth rate and consumption rate. On my pessimistic days (MWF plus alternating weekends), I believe in my lifetime that I will witness mass starvation of humans accompanied by people eating any life they can find to sustain their own miserable lives.

Have a beer on me.

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in