Barrett-Jackson pricing is through the roof! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Barrett-Jackson pricing is through the roof!

How about a Hemi folks! Sheez! Think there are some ghost bidders in the audience! $2,000,000.00 for a Hemi Mopar droptop that was not one of their best designs! Muscle cars are so cheap to restore and build when compared to a Cadillac, Jaguar, Ferrari, etc., that it makes it a crime that these things should be worth so much and the truly detail oriented cars are left in the dust.
Oh well, think of the clones being made right now. Think of the number of Hemis with the exact same VIN number at car shows! Opps!
I would go on but I just found a 318 cu in Challenger in an old ladiy's garage. I have now procurred a 440 six pack VIN tag, and am restoring it to the VIN's specs! I am gonna make some $$$!!! And of course I will have pals in the audience at the show bidding that pup up! YEEHAAA!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 06:57 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Barrett-Jackson pricing is through the roof!

Barrett-Jackson pricing doesn't seem to reflect market values. They do bring in the extra $$. If you can restore the car to a high level of detail, you may very well be financially rewarded.

'08 C300 Sport/Barolo Red/Gray-Black Leather/6 SP/AMG Wheels/iPod/P2/MultiMedia/Tele Aid
'09 Pasion Coupe/Gray Metallic/Black Tridion/Comfort Package/Solid Roof/Premium Sound/Fog Lights/Clock-Tach/Anti-Theft/Navigation/Bluetooth
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Mark08859 - 4/20/2005 7:57 AM

Barrett-Jackson pricing doesn't seem to reflect market values. They do bring in the extra $$. If you can restore the car to a high level of detail, you may very well be financially rewarded.
I agree that the collector car market lags behind, but the atronomical prices achieved at Barrett-J undoubtedly pull up the others regardless. Like watching a '67 Shelby 500KR go bonkers at B-J, then watching an average '67 289 cu in Mustang convertible sell for $5k more than before on E Bay.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 02:39 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1982 300SD

I just got back from spending the day at Carlisle, (PA) Spring Flea Market and car corrall.
I agree that prices are fantastic. It seems that most ordinary cars of the fifties and sixteis use $25,000 as the base price. Most are over-restored, meaning that they exceed the quality as produced by their manufacturers. Paints are much improved. Fit and finish are also to much higher standards. People also tend to over-rate their cars. In my understanding, most cars on the show field would qualify as true #3 condition. A #1 should exactly as it rolled off the assemble line. If its driven at all, and has any sand damage, pits in the glass or paint, it drops to #2. Many people seem to still call this a #1.
Some of this is driven by the chemists at the paint manufacturers. These cars should be sporting simple acrylic enamel paints. But the desire for better gloss and UV protection leads to using paints that can cost close to $1000 just for the materials.
I guess as long as people pay these prices, they must be correct. I won't pay that much, in fact I can't afford to. This is a hobby for me; not my career. I am restoring my '82 300SD because I want to drive a good looking, high quality car. I will not spend over $1000 in the process for paint, interior material, and mechanical parts needed to complete it. When done, I will have about 250 hours invested. I do not plan to ever get that monet out of the car thru selling it. I will drive it, perhaps for the next 20 years. Not having to feel I need a "new" car with their electronic wizardry, and enjoying the solid feeling of the benz will be reward enough.
About a decage ago I finished an earlier restoration--a '64 Ford Falcon Sprint Convertible. A rare car with less than 4000 produced; maybe 200 still exists, although I have never seen one identical to mine. Anyway the Falcon needed much work. I replaced floors, rear quarters, rt side front torque box, inner rockers ( made them myself-from 12 ga), the entire interior, all new metal ines for fuel and brakes, all new everything for the brakes, except the pedal assembly. I rebuilt the engine, and the rear end. New springs on the rear.
The 300SD was just about the same age as the Falcon when I started each project. The Mercedes needed paint, idler arm kit, stitch 2 bad seams in the leather and redye, filters and new rubber fuel lines.
That seems a testimony to the original build quality.
And besides when I finish the MB, I get to drive a MB; not a low end Ford.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)

Ironic isn't it that quality of build has nothing to do with resale. It almost seems the more reliable the car, the worst resale it has as a collector car. I restored a '81 Cadillac Seville Elegante with 11k orig. miles. Bare metal, all chrome and glass off, bumpers, interior, etc. Spent 6k on a three stage base, pearl, and clear on a two tone car. Replaced windeshield, NOS front chrome, and detailed engine and undercarriage; won 1rst place in my class at the 2004 Cadillac Grand National. Sold car sadly enough on Ebay even though it brought a world record price. Sniff, sniff.
Alas I spent 17k on the paint and body of my '60 cadillac convertible. It was 1rst in the North Texas Regional Cadillac show, but is not national contender worthy since the rest is very well preserved orig.! Too much money to bring it to national level and the patina is beautiful. It is easier and cheaper to buy them already done. This is what I do now.
Now if I could only get into muscle cars. Love Trans Ams though....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 03:35 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

I would love to see a listing of all "shelby" "K" codes cars. I would bet that there are more "K" codes now on the market than can be accounted for by Shelby American's sales records.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)

Well we know for sure that 427 '67 Corvettes are more plentiful than they used to be.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 09:48 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

The most ambitious "restoration project" I ever saw:

Perhaps 10 years ago, at one of the Carlisle events, I saw a Corvette vendor with a bare frame and the unattatched body tags, just laying on the frame.
Later, I saw the same frame tied onto someone's roof. Now, its probably a "numbers matching" original.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)

The guy who bought that frame probably had a decent body and interior back home in the shop. Also if the frame was from a rare vette then it would certainly be worth the effort. Everyone trys to get a rare vin tag and then slap it on any vette they happen to have their hands on.
BTW, guy here in Addison, Texas has a '68 Shelby 500KR in his old garage in pieces. Car was taken apart for resto. in the early eighties and has never been put back together. Guy turned down 60k the other day for the unassembled, unrestored mess. Whew!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in