Gas to hit 4 dollars per gallon by the end of the year - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 10:18 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Gas to hit 4 dollars per gallon by the end of the year

$42.00 to fill my 1989 420SEL with premium. Scottsdale Arizona. [:0]

"I have spent MOST of the money I have made in my life on expensive women, expensive cars, and expensive drugs. The rest I just wasted." S-KLASSE8, "Belief in the supernatural, reflects a failure in the imagination." - Edward Abbey "Give me a firm place to stand, and I will move the Earth." - Archimedes - 1979 (fully restored) 450SLC - 1989 (fully restored)420SEL - "S CLASS STYLE - S CLASS ATTITUDE"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 11:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004

I hope gas in the U.S. goes to $5 or $6 a gallon. Fine with me.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 01:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

[/QUOTE]

What, you haven't heard? We won!!!! Isn't it great?!?[/QUOTE]

Mission accomplished.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 04:20 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
Send a message via AIM to unsung

I hope everyone that voted for that clown is happy now that they "won".
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 06:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Since I am involved in this as part of my job, let me add my two cents. Here in Houston, the future price of crude is the most important statistic imaginable. Thousands of people are employed in projecting this. One of the top outfits, Goldman Sachs, has made a startling projection, but one must also add that there is wide disagreement with the projection among other firms that do the same - but there is widespread agreement that oil is going up, way up.

Sachs is projecting oil at $105 a barrel by the end of the year. It is their prediction that is the source of the stories you are hearing. But keep these facts in mind: If one looks at the historic price of oil in "real" dollars valued from say, 1972, oil is currently cheap, even at $60 a barrel. The point where this changes is around $75 a barrel, a point after which in real dollar terms, oil begins to cut all the way to the economic bone. There are many who think it would be good for the US to advance to the $75 level, since we currently have a government that believes in total inaction in regards to doing anything to curb oil consumption, which has led to incredible energy waste in the US, and the only solution will be the cruelty of the marketplace. I wholeheartedly agree. The question is, after $75 a barrel, will the dampening of the economy cause demand to drop enough so that prices stabilize at this point. Sachs says that three new wildcards have been added to the equation - China, India and Japan - countries which have extremely activists governments in the areas of oil policy, exactly the opposite of us in many ways. Over the past three years these economies have foreseen the inevitibility of a huge rise in the cost of oil, and have implemented tax programs and government directives aimed not just at lowering the amount of energy needed, but at producing the same economic output from less energy input by modernizing factories and discourging private transportation in favor of mass transportation. In the US, it is transportation where the most enormous waste of energy occcurs. Instead of building our cities upward, we let them sprawl outward, so the automobile becomes the only sensible means of transportation. In addition, the average automobile in use is a gas sucking pig. In other words, the thing we are trying to produce, in this case the delivery of our ass to the workplace, requires an enormous amount of energy. In China and Japan, where bicycles and trains are the norm, one gallon of diesel fuel or an extra bowl of Wheaties delivers scores of asses to work, versus the fractional amount of buttock delivered in the US. The sad part about all of this is that if a sensible policy of discouragement of wasteful energy consumption, a staple of every European and Asian government, had been the norm in the US, we would spare ourselves a lot of pain.

Instead this is all about to come as quite a shock to people, a devasting shock if Goldman Sachs is correct, because $105 barrel oil is something these other economies can tolerate, while ours will absolutely tank, and tank big time. If you are an investor, the place to put your money is in stocks that are part of the hybrid engine automobile equation - we are about to see a national trip to the junkyard where about 50 million SUVs are about to become scrap, just like we saw with the great gashogs of the sixties when the oil shocks of the seventies hit. We are about to see a massive shift in the US automobile fleet, from stupid gashogs to hybrid engines. Lithium batteries, energy transfer assemblies, all this type of technology is about to get really hot.

My personal opinion, based on the models I've seen, isa that oil is going to $75 a barrel, and it will top out at that point. This puts gas around $3.25 a gallon, a point where most of the lower to lower middle income folks will have to junk their old Suburbans and Dodges, and where new car buyers will be buying hybrid engine automobiles without thinking twice about it, while industry switches to the currently more expensive "clean coal" technologies. This should put a damper on prices. But Sachs says the catch-up time necessary, during which this switch is made, will force oil to shocking levels. Better hope they are not right.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 06:44 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Problem is that high gas prices are just the first domino. Remember what we had in the 70's in addition to high gas prices? Inflation. High petroleum prices put upward pricing pressure on everything made with plastics, harvested with, or trasported by a fuel burning engine.

If we go into an inflationary period you can kiss the housing market goodbye. It's the double whammy of a new mortgage will cost more because of higher interest rates and people will have less of their paycheck available for mortgages because they are spending more on fuel, heating, food, ect.

Forum killa

You have been banned for the following reason:
insulting mod

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 06:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Well, the only thing that has kept this economy out of The Great Depression has been low interest rates. Once money starts getting sucked overseas to pay the oil fascists, it will become in short supply in the US, and supply and demand pressures, coupled with the declining dollar, will cause interest rates to rise - once that happens, watch the dominoes tumble - obscene government debt now becomes a debt monster that forces huge tax increases at the federal level, while the biggest user of fuel in the country, local governments and their fleets of school buses, are slapped with huge cost increases in both bond interest and fuel, causing a huge rise in property taxes at the local level. Both spell disaster for the housing market. But the biggest disaster will be the death blow to the American manufacturing sector.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 07:03 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 2007 S550 Sport
Send a message via MSN to Chucky300 Send a message via Yahoo to Chucky300

Hey Jamisson

Long time no speak! I am still on my artificial high since George W. Bush won the election :) Thank GOD!

I heard $5 per gallon on Fox news by 2006, so I guess the $4 amount by the end of 2005 doesnt seem that impossible.

This morning, I filled my tank with premium from EMPTY to FUll...$60.43 was my total.... $2.52 per gallon at about 24 gallons. Jeez.

At $5 per gallon, it would cost me $120 each time to fill my tank. I dunno, that is gonna be hard. I usually fill twice every 10 days or so depending on driving. Its gonna be too expensive to drive soon.

I hope there wont be a fuel crisis but if there is, i wonder how many of us will leave our gas guzling V8s in the driveway and start using mass transit?

bradley

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 07:11 AM
BenzWorld Member

Blame the middle east all you like, but it's the lack of conservation in North America that is the real problem.

The other problem is that oil has replaced gold as the safe currency of the time. We have become addicted to oil in a way we never did gold.

I'm really trying to see things from your perspective, but I'm having trouble getting my head up my ass
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 07:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Absolutely. At the core of all this, we will all regret that we essentially turned the government of the US over to the oil companies in 2000 and again in 2004. Of all industries, they are the one with the least amount of patriotic allegiance to the US - they are multi-national in every sense of the word, and are as big as and function as the equivalent of a foreign country, and their masters are all fascists who run the most oppressive governments on Earth. What a laugh - a "democracy" in Iraq is heralded for all, while we prop up with weapons and intelligence the most oppressive, religious-kook governments on the planet, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, a country we allegedly "freed" in 1991. These countries are now engaged in the largest transfer of wealth in history - from the American Middle Class to the oil fascists and to the Chinese that represent their largest emerging market and investment haven. We freaking blew it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in