LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 10:37 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1989 300 TE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Examining life through a skeptics eyes

"It explains WHY man invented god." No it explains why he believe's man invented God. So it’s everyone's choice to take a chance that he is right or wrong. Religion is the most difficult to prove to some; because the facts are in death. When practical applications run out and the theory is still a theory, is it Ok to use faith. To believe in a flying machine, a telephone, a space shuttle, etc. When does it become unrealistic? I guess to a person of no faith, it is unrealistic until proven to the five senses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 02:23 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: '85 300TD

Quote:
S-KLASSE8 - 3/31/2005 3:40 PM
I examine everything with the magnification of scienctific methodology, under the bright light of reason.
Wow, haven't had a laugh like that in quite some time. Did you read your own Terri Schiavo thread?

yikes.

'85 300TD Pastel Beige
361,500 miles and counting
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 03:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '90 560SEL, V8 Landcruiser, Toyota S/Wagon

Is it unfair to suggest that continuous reading of such threads as this to Terry may have resulted in a faster and more humane passing for her than starvation?
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 08:26 AM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL

Quote:
kvining - 3/31/2005 3:54 PM

S-Classe, you wouldn't know skepticism if it hit you on the ass with a banjo. Go get back to your protest signs with the rest of the sheep and say baaaaa...
But would he be skeptical that he had indeed received a whack on the ass with a banjo and not some other object? Perhaps a controlled experiment involving collision with a spectrum of different objects may help answer this important question.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Skepticism dies in the face of a banjo ass slap.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 10:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

On a serious note, one must take into consideration modern information theory. Things in the physical world, once thought to be composed if energy, mass and the like, also contains irrefutable information. An atom bomb for example, converts mass to energy, and also contains the information that this has occurred. We can treat information of this type as outside the realm of skepticism, can we not?

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
(Thread Starter)

I certainly wouldn't slap an innocent banjo with viners head. That could be interpreted as banjo abuse. Shame to ruin a good banjo too...[:0] Dude, stick to subjects you have a CLUE about, if there are any.

"I have spent MOST of the money I have made in my life on expensive women, expensive cars, and expensive drugs. The rest I just wasted." S-KLASSE8, "Belief in the supernatural, reflects a failure in the imagination." - Edward Abbey "Give me a firm place to stand, and I will move the Earth." - Archimedes - 1979 (fully restored) 450SLC - 1989 (fully restored)420SEL - "S CLASS STYLE - S CLASS ATTITUDE"
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 12:25 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
kvining - 4/2/2005 4:01 AM

On a serious note, one must take into consideration modern information theory. Things in the physical world, once thought to be composed if energy, mass and the like, also contains irrefutable information. An atom bomb for example, converts mass to energy, and also contains the information that this has occurred. We can treat information of this type as outside the realm of skepticism, can we not?
I'm skeptical...

(hehehe)

driving a fast car should feel like falling off a building.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 12:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Garage

Sorry, my bad humour.
Um, mass-energy momentum is a way to describe cosmological matter. Information potential is how you can describe subatomic particles, which do not strictly adhere to classical physics.
The divide will break down when String theorists can reconciliate 11-22 dimensions back to the four of spacetime (ie. the physical, or empirical universe).

It goes like this: how do you describe the breakdown of the electromagnetic force? Mass-energy momentum still holds (pulsars). But what about the strong nuclear force? Breach that and you're left with two choices: the magical, mystery mathematical singularity (ie. some other place), or information potential (ie. alleviate the overwhelming environment and subatomic particles can reform).

post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 12:50 AM
BenzWorld Member

Garage

(please excuse the multiple postings, my networking problems mean I can only post a couple of paragraphs at a time)

cont.

Ultimately it derives of observational quantum entanglement and tunnelling. The transposed wave-functions can only be described as information transferrence or teleportation. As far as I know, nobody's exactly sure how it works.

You might measure it going on in a nuclear explosion, with the right measuring equipment but you'd probably be best measuring the explosion itself in terms of mass-energy momentum. It has nowhere near the energy required to get something like information potential up and running (perhaps if you could implode the entire solar system you'd get close...maybe).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in