Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 10:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
RE: great new invention

Is it the filter that gets the attention or the trageting?

Foxnews regularly buries the competing cable news channels in ratings and continues to grow at a greater rate. What does that mean?

I think it means that an awful loarge number of people do not care for the traditional news slant and are looking for a slant that agrres with their world-view. There is great danger in this news fragmentation aqs well as great promise.

First, the danger is that people whill shop for news perspective that reinforces their beliefs. This tends to increasingly fragment society. Intellectual balkanization, if you will.

Second, the promise is that we are no longer bound by one view of the world. People with curiosity and an open mind will find a far richer source of information from which they might draw conclusions. It releases news from the network stranglehold. Combine that with the blogoshpere and you have a massive, uncontrolled democratization of news.

This is one of the manin reasons that I'm, studying Arabic. When somebody says, "This is what Al Jazeera is reporting...", how do you know if you cannot read Al Jazeera in its native tongue. Yes, they have an English translation. But how do you know? (the other reason I'm studying Arabic is for the arts--poetry and music. It is such a lovely, sound, spoken Arabic. And it lends itself to great subtility because of its use of metaphor, far richer than my native language.)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Cruise Control
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon/'01 EV Weekender
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

...sorta like French, eh?

I think most media critics aren't just concerned about Fox's obvious conservative bias, but also its tabloid-style packaging that screams sensationalism, while using simplistic reductionist arguments about complex social/environmental/political/cultural topics--i.e. dumbing down the news to its lowest common denominator. Others do this of course, but Murdoch has mastered the craft. This is bad for democracy and bad for our culture at large, irrespective of political bias.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 02:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Folks who are so shallow that they rely on network news (is it 18 minutes of evening network news?) are hardly going to be challenged by whatever it is that Fox chooses to air. Which is better, FoxNews or CNN or NBC or MSNBC or CBS? answer: neither.

Somewhere in the emerging weedpatch of news sources is "TRUTH". So far I haven't seen any particular source as having some sort of delphic relationship with it. News shows are from the agora, not the oracle.

Listen, read, watch and listen to several sources independent of each other and then most importantly, think.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)

I've seen one episode of a show called Boston Legal in my entire life. That episode dealt with this very device, which the school principal had installed on all of his high school's televisions. A young republican student dragged him to court to have the devices removed. The kid won.

I'm left wondering what televisions are doing in a high school in the first place...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: