Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Arm teachers, NRA official suggests

Gun group leader: ‘Everything’s on table’ for making schools safe

PHOENIX - All options should be considered to prevent rampages like the Minnesota school shooting that took 10 lives — including making guns available to teachers, a top National Rifle Association leader said Friday.

“I’m not saying that that means every teacher should have a gun or not, but what I am saying is we need to look at all the options at what will truly protect the students,� the NRA’s first vice president, Sandra S. Froman, told The Associated Press.

Gun-control restrictions would not have prevented Jeff Weise, 16, from killing nine people and himself Monday at Red Lake High School near Bemidji, Minn., said Froman, an attorney expected next month to be elected president of the NRA, which claims 4 million members.

The presence of an unarmed guard at the school failed to stop the siege, she noted.

“No gun law, no policy that you could implement now or that was already implemented, I think, could possibly prevent someone so intent on destruction,� she said. “I think everything’s on the table as far as looking at what we need to do to make our schools safe for our students.�

Froman said if it is the responsibility of teachers to protect students in a school, “then we as a society, we as a community have to provide a way for the teachers to do that.�

Froman cited the 1997 school shooting incident in Pearl, Miss., where a teacher retrieved a gun from his car when a student opened fire, then held the student at bay until police arrived.

A law prohibiting guns in schools “is not going to stop someone who has evil in their heart and who has the capacity to commit those crimes from doing them,� Froman said.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 09:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Arm teachers, NRA official suggests

When was the last time someone stormed a police station and killed the occupants at random? Let's see....I think it was Rambo-First Blood[8D]

aborted Shop Forum member

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 09:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage

The whole practise of unarmed security guards is like paying someone to kick around and then blame.

Here's a tactic we use in Parliament House's security that I like. If you prefer the inoffensive advisory role of unarmed security in public contact, you have a secondary, armed security station placed at strategic locations, on "panic call" for immediate response.
Of course we wouldn't allow that in the private sector.

But it costs money and whingeing and blaming doesn't. Plus it's not nearly as self-righteous as introducing "counter-terrorism" legislation.

You guys have really got this police-state thing going over there.
We're luckier, with a Westminster system, we started with it. But at least we can blame the middle ages and stubborn minds.

Gun control cannot help the US. Neither can slackening. The secret lay in applicability of rights via constitution.
Poor minds have to be told that mass manipulation cannot control everything. People individually want to know their rights and that you can't take that away..

Another kick in the Republican groin I guess. For us it's the Nationals and the whole Westminster archaism.

driving a fast car should feel like falling off a building.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

I think the NRA stance is absolutely brilliant (from a more guns = less shootings POV, that is)...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 10:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

lol.. i can't wait to see the results of this...

in political asylum
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 10:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

Quote:
vanir - 3/26/2005 10:23 PM

The whole practise of unarmed security guards is like paying someone to kick around and then blame.

Here's a tactic we use in Parliament House's security that I like. If you prefer the inoffensive advisory role of unarmed security in public contact, you have a secondary, armed security station placed at strategic locations, on "panic call" for immediate response.
Of course we wouldn't allow that in the private sector.

But it costs money and whingeing and blaming doesn't. Plus it's not nearly as self-righteous as introducing "counter-terrorism" legislation.

You guys have really got this police-state thing going over there.
We're luckier, with a Westminster system, we started with it. But at least we can blame the middle ages and stubborn minds.

Gun control cannot help the US. Neither can slackening. The secret lay in applicability of rights via constitution.
Poor minds have to be told that mass manipulation cannot control everything. People individually want to know their rights and that you can't take that away..

Another kick in the Republican groin I guess. For us it's the Nationals and the whole Westminster archaism.
I agree. The security guards should have guns. Even though I am a NRA member, I just do not think teachers carrying guns is the solution.

I am for a better deterrent. The time out crap we put on our kids is not working. I am for corporal punishment. A lot of these kids think we can do all the crime we want and get out when we turn 18.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 12:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

We need to work on why these kids keep doing this.

What drives them to this point?

Why didn't this happen xx years ago?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 12:16 AM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350

Quote:
lovemyc280 - 3/27/2005 2:06 AM

Just a guess:

Nuclear family

Dual income parents and nobody's home

Wanting to be your kid's friend instead of being a parent

Media driven world fueled by gratuitious violence

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 12:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Quote:
MTI - 3/27/2005 2:16 AM

Quote:
lovemyc280 - 3/27/2005 2:06 AM

Just a guess:

Nuclear family

Dual income parents and nobody's home

Wanting to be your kid's friend instead of being a parent

Media driven world fueled by gratuitious violence

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
I agree, but I wish more people would try to solve the problem before it happened rather than arm teachers.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 01:22 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage

Yeah but how do you get a governing body to say, "Okay, obviously we're on the wrong page with our social approach..."

The whole sales pitch of any administration is having all the answers.
Around the late 90's the international democratic trend switched from individual to social foundations, moving to keep up with the "new age" movement that earlier democratic doctrine appeared out of step with.

It is simply wrong. Community based politics leads directly to witchburning.
There's your lone gunmen. Fighting the enemy. The system no longer empowers them so they do so themselves, the only way they can and unfortunately, the simplest.

It's the two fold flipside of democratic government. Any system of individual empowerment is still prone to primordeally based manipulation. But any system of mass psychological influence destroys selected individuals by nature.

But the answer was simple, just nobody was prepared to do it.
The role of government is to support individually empowered people.
But in the compromise between live safe or live free, people decided it was one extreme or the other. Democrats are left to themselves regardless of what they need, and Republicans get told their opinions.

Don't worry, we did the same thing here, just use different words. Democracy lost out almost a decade ago worldwide, I remember watching it happen.

Politics moves in cycles, between generations. But not much has ever changed. Just the technology. Perhaps it's a matter of two steps forward, one back.

The 60's and 70's had its "psychos period" where everybody was wondering what the world was coming to.

driving a fast car should feel like falling off a building.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in