Date registered: Jan 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: BUSH CUTS FUNDING FOR WIC NUTRITION PROGRAM

Quote:
azimuth - 3/24/2005 10:53 AM

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 3/24/2005 10:44 AM

What's yer point? Yes, extreme examples of human stupidity exist...so what? Are random anecdotes appropriate data points from which to base public policy? Is this the Achmed Chalabi school of public policy?

WIC does have misplaced priorities. It ideally should discourage recipients from purchasing processed and chemically laden food stuffs, and allow healthy, fresh and organic produce...but it doesn't. Big Ag and the processed food lobby have a stranglehold on WIC's grocery list...same goes for the school lunch programs.
I realize it was anecdotal and therefore carried the weight of such.

I agree that these programs are an important safety net when used properly and temporarily.

As to your second paragraph, you're dead on correct, my friend.

I had to take the little Azimuths to school so I couldn't finish my thought.

I bet if we could identify and eliminate even 60% of the waste, fraud and abuse in ALL of the govt. programs and endeavors, we could do all of the things that each party wants and still have a light burden on the taxpayer.

I'm prolly revealing too much about the family Azimuth here, but I think it makes the over all point. Early on in the beginning of our family, I lost my job. I not only lost my job, I lost a career. I had to completely leave the field and start over doing something else entirely. The financial impact on our lifestyle was staggering. During those times we had the opportunity to go on welfare and take advantage of other handout programs. Mrs. Azimuth and I decided to see if we could make it out on our own. We eventually lost our house and I had to go from driving a new expensive vehicle to a POS Ford something or other with compression in only three of the six cylinders. Holy moly that sucked!

Skip ahead five years. We not only made it out of our woes, but we are now 20 years ahesd of where we would have been had things stayed as they were before the "crash". We chose to do it on our own and the result was better than I thought it could be.

I am not superman. Mrs Az and I are average folks with the foresight to get educated. that is all we have going for us. I think had we chosen to go for the safety net we would not have made the progress necesary to succeed.

Once again this is anecdotal.

aborted Shop Forum member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 09:33 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Well, truth is, the first paragraph was more accurately directed at a more general target...you're just conveniently placed skeet.

For some reason, our national pastimes consist of watching big overpaid guys inject drugs, then pummel one another, and lamenting lazy, shiftless, good-for-nothing types--both of which, I find to be pointless wastes of time.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1986 300SDL
(Thread Starter)

My question was why is one life precious to George Bush but thousands of starving people just too bad.

I would be embarassed to be a member of a religion that spent all its time carrying on about one person's death while my "preachers" lived lives of luxury. How do they justify it when there is even one hungry child on the planet?
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 05:53 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL

Quote:
LK ONE - 3/25/2005 12:44 AM

My question was why is one life precious to George Bush but thousands of starving people just too bad.

I would be embarassed to be a member of a religion that spent all its time carrying on about one person's death while my "preachers" lived lives of luxury. How do they justify it when there is even one hungry child on the planet?
They can't. But then again, neither can you or I. Sell the MB, donate the cash to a third world river-blindness charity. Not easy, is it? I'm a sinner too.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 07:33 PM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350

Quote:
azimuth - 3/24/2005 9:57 AM
When she was all checked out and it was time to pay the cashier, she hauled out the welfare food program stamp thingys and got the whole cart on the taxpayer!
For accuracy's sake, WIC and Food Stamps are not the same program. WIC program provides foods (milk, cheese, cerals, etc.) that add to the diets of pregnant and nursing women, infants and children under five years of age. It also provides nutrition education and access to health services. Eligibility is based on income and nutritional risk as determined by a health professional.

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 07:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
jjl - 3/24/2005 7:53 PM

Quote:
LK ONE - 3/25/2005 12:44 AM

They can't. But then again, neither can you or I. Sell the MB, donate the cash to a third world river-blindness charity. Not easy, is it? I'm a sinner too.
That's exactly on point.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 07:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005

Quote:
MTI - 3/24/2005 9:33 PM

Quote:
When she was all checked out and it was time to pay the cashier, she hauled out the welfare food program stamp thingys and got the whole cart on the taxpayer!
For accuracy's sake, WIC and Food Stamps are not the same program. WIC program provides foods (milk, cheese, cerals, etc.) that add to the diets of pregnant and nursing women, infants and children under five years of age. It also provides nutrition education and access to health services. Eligibility is based on income and nutritional risk as determined by a health professional.
Thanks for the distinction. They are both welfare programs.

aborted Shop Forum member

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 3/24/2005 11:33 AM

Well, truth is, the first paragraph was more accurately directed at a more general target...you're just conveniently placed skeet.

For some reason, our national pastimes consist of watching big overpaid guys inject drugs, then pummel one another, and lamenting lazy, shiftless, good-for-nothing types--both of which, I find to be pointless wastes of time.
Amen.

I'd like to see evrybody who wants to spend my money on their favorite charity first deplete their own largess that they would squander on watching big overpaid guys inject drugs, then pummel one another. After that, I might listen to them about supporting their choice of charity.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1986 300SDL
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
azimuth - 3/24/2005 9:57 PM

Quote:
MTI - 3/24/2005 9:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the distinction. They are both welfare programs.
You are absolutely right. So is the program Jeb Bush is fighting so hard to put Schiavo into. Why doesn't he fight as hard for the ones that are starving but NOT brain dead?

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 09:20 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Botnst - 3/24/2005 7:20 PM

I'd like to see evrybody who wants to spend my money on their favorite charity first deplete their own largess that they would squander on watching big overpaid guys inject drugs, then pummel one another. After that, I might listen to them about supporting their choice of charity.
I'll bet you're paying for a fabulous WIC program in Iraq--apparently your charity knoweth no bounds...as long as those bounds are outside the bounds of these United States.

Doesn't anyone find it offensive that we even need a WIC program here in the wealthiest, most powerful nation the world has ever seen? Why can't, or won't we create a world-class society to match our world-dominating military? ...and who the f@#k spent my peace dividend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in