LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 06:54 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 02 G500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: for you porsche lovers...

Talking about sports cars, what do you guys think of the new up coming Corvette Z06? 50/50 weight bias.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 12:44 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL

Quote:
Shane - 3/24/2005 1:44 AM

Quote:
jjl - 3/23/2005 2:22 PM

Quote:
Shane - 3/23/2005 4:05 PM

Quote:
Samurai1833 - 3/23/2005 9:10 AM

Closest I've ever been to one is Gran Turismo 3, too much understeer.
After driving the real thing I must say that Gran Turismo got it right with the heavy understeer. Never understood the 911 faithful. So I bought one. Sold it six months later. No big deal. Not really up to all the hype. The 928S4 and 944 Turbo drive better. Engine behind the rear axle is simply not a great idea. Try and count the REAL race cars that are designed that way. To each their own.
It takes a long time to learn to drive an earlier 911 properly (not trying to be a patronising tit here and failing) - I'm still learning on my 930, 12 years on. It is more rewarding and involving than the 944 or 928 (a fat pig of a car) - surely this is what it is all about, not driving some arcade-game uninvolving techojunk.

Please.

Drop the rewarding old school crap. I love old cars and have many that I enjoy. But cars, at their most fundamental level, are about covering distance. The car that covers the most distance, with the least fatigue on the driver can go the farthest. Period. So new is better and more rewarding because you can do more, longer, with less effort.

PS 928 feels like a fat pig until you really push it. You do really push your cars I hope!
I like my old school crap!

Depends what you like. I don't like that dead steering, disconnected feel of more modern sports cars, although I admit my experience is probably pretty limited. Sure they might be faster, quieter, and get from A to B with less fatigue to the driver, but screw that. I like the threat of getting it wrong on slippery corners, without ABS etc! It the old thing about having microprocessors doing the driving for you.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 04:37 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL

Mea culpa, I'm guilty of slipping into the air cooled/water cooled Porsche nose-thumbing trap. It's common on Porsche forums, as is the polarised purist .v. absolute performance discussion typified by the above exchanges.

The 928, particularly the S4, is a great GT, by all accounts. I've driven (but not owned) only a S2, and that was smooth and powerful on the open road, but felt w - i - d - e in town, an a little cumbersome in corners. Might have been my unfamiliarity with the car - not much of a judgement given a few days experience.

I lusted after a S4 a few years back (the manual - GTS was it?) when I was doing a lot of motorway driving, but luckily survived the fever, given my bloated collection of older cars. Another recurring wet dream involves a 993 C4 - should I, shouldn't I - I can't help looking at ads. Now I have space to store dozens of vehicles, I suspect I'm at risk again, but the old ball&chain would brain me if she found yet another car had materialised in the steading (barn) - six and counting, it's getting a bit daft.

I remember a particulary enjoyable journey down from Glasgow to Leeds a few years back. A silver S4 kept me company in the 911 turbo, and we spent a couple of hours together, swapping the lead every so often at over 100 mph. I had the better acceleration, but not by much, and as you say DR, he could probably actually hear his stereo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in