post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Iceland offer for fugitive Fischer

I am outraged that this international criminal has eluded prosecution for such a heinous crime. How dare he play chess! Is it me or is the world getting more and more stupid by the day?

REYKJAVIK, Iceland (AP) -- Iceland's parliament has voted to grant citizenship to fugitive U.S. chess star Bobby Fischer.

The legislation, passed Monday with 40 lawmakers voting "aye" and two abstaining following a brief debate, became law immediately.

"I am very pleased with this, and I think that the dignity of the parliament has increased," Fischer's supporter Saemundur Palsson said, adding that Fischer would be informed Tuesday morning Japanese time.

"I hope that he will stop cursing the Americans now. It has gotten him into so much trouble," Palsson told reporters.

Einar S. Einarsson, another of Fischer's key supporters, said he had spoken to the mercurial chess genius earlier in the day.

Fischer hoped the process would be quick, and "I don't think it could have been much quicker," Einarsson said. The bill went through the required three readings in 12 minutes.

Fischer, 62, has been detained in Japan awaiting deportation to the United States, where he is wanted for violating economic sanctions against the former Yugoslavia by playing a highly publicized chess match there in 1992.

There is widespread support for Fischer in Iceland, where he played the Soviet Union's Boris Spassky in a world championship match in 1972.

Iceland's parliament voted last month against granting Fischer citizenship, offering him a special foreigners' passport and residence permit instead. But Japanese officials declined to release him.

Since being taken into custody in July for allegedly trying to leave Japan on a revoked U.S. passport, Fischer has repeatedly denounced the U.S. deportation order as politically motivated, demanded refugee status, renounced his U.S. citizenship and said he wants to become a German national instead.

He has also applied to marry a Japanese woman who heads Iceland's chess association and is his longtime companion.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 09:38 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Sep 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Iceland offer for fugitive Fischer

Didn't he take steroids too? [:o)]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 09:39 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL

I hear Iceland will take any old geyser.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 09:44 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

International criminal Bobby Fischer

AKA The Grandmaster

Forum killa

You have been banned for the following reason:
insulting mod

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: