post #61 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: Newest member of the banned

...gawd, I hope I make the cut--please please pick me pick me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 3/22/2005 9:06 PM

...gawd, I hope I make the cut--please please pick me pick me.
What -- all of a sudden you're a joiner? Do the banned a favor and see what you can do to snag H2O2 -- now he seems like a bright fellow.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #63 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 09:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

I don't think it's intellect, per se. The thing that interested me most about that website was the breadth of experience and knowledge of the people. It wasn't necessarily the smart people who got banned, it was us mouthy ones. There are lots of smart boys and girls over there. I don't think I ever saw a thread started that left everybody lost for long. And there were some extraordinarily interesting and occassionally mind-boggling threads started.
post #64 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 09:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
Brian Carlton - 3/22/2005 10:36 PM

Quote:
Botnst - 3/22/2005 10:26 PM

We have no more reason to expect Mods to follow our ideas of right an wrong than we do of Gods. I'm undecided about sneaking back in. Why voluntarily subject myself again to some strange form of psychotic tyranny? I can take a hint.

But I sure as heck am curious what sort of thinking ol' Gilly went through to ban me. I mean the threads that Kerry, Z, jjl, Narwhal and some others had concerning cannibalism and sexuality were much more edgy than my bit 'o' humor about punting small women. Heck, my wife would've punted me for that one, but she'd have laughed, too.

Dear Mr. Wood:

While I loathe people who run to the moderator or the owner with complaints, I feel compelled to do so with regard to the ongoing problems with the moderation of OD.

While I fully respect your right to have limitations on the content of OD, I believe that the current moderator has failed to convey your wishes in a proper manner.

The most recent banning of one of the most prolific writers on the forum is a case in point.

A single post, that was clearly said with tongue in cheek, resulted in the moderator giving Bonst one hour to remove the post. Bonst was not on the forum at the time.

Where is it posted that the moderator will give you one hour to remove an offensive post or otherwise be subject to ban? I haven't seen this posted anywhere. Have you instituted it?

This is another example of completely arbitrary behavior by the current moderator. There are quite a few members that are simply disgusted with attempting to post on Mercedes-Shop OD and I'd be surprised if it does not affect your business in a negative way.

If given the opportunity, I'd moderate this forum with a proper set of rules that everyone could follow. Then I'd enforce the rules to enable OD to be a place that everyone could enjoy.

Brian Carlton
I'm curious what he'll do in response.
post #65 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 09:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 3/22/2005 9:51 PM
Hey dude, I never fought the ban when you got axed, I'd like to claim it was just because I was out of town for a week.That maybe part of the reason. But mostly I just didn't give a damn. It's just the internet and I haven't a dime invested in these websites other than the miniscule purchases I've made.

What I did miss was a sort of fabric of community created that was badly torn. Great portions were removed and thrown in the trash and new embroidery rules that prevented rebuilding of the original tapestry. That's okay with me, too: not my dime so resistence was worse than futile, it would (IMO) be misplaced. It would be like complaining because the owner of a yacht asked you to leave. Plenty of other yachts in the marina and I don't own any of them.

And I'm not going to fight my banning in any way whatsoever. Same rule applies to me as everybody else, doesn't matter if the rulemaker is capricious and arbitrary. His yacht. His rules.

The Mods want the controversial threads to go away. The best way to do that is to ban people who start them and/or post to them. If that's the case, I'm just fill dirt for the new edifice. Anyway, I've played in this sandbox enough to feel about as at home here as over there, though I will miss the grownups over there. They are good people. And as an unregistered guest I can still make use of their tremendous archive. That place is an amazing source of information.
Bot, I have been on travel a lot recently and read about this last night. I am stunned, like you and others, but find your response above in line with your typical example of pretty uncolored logic. Thanks for showing someone can see over the petty bullshit. It is MB Shop's loss.

I have not posted on the OD forum since this trend of banning started, and will not post there again. Banning in the OD environment is incongruous with the point of an OD forum at a car website, as I saw it. Once the banning started, the place was reduced to discussion of politically correct subject matters, determined to be politically correct by an arbitrary person, by an arbitrarily fashioned yardstick. If you enjoyed the OD forum in the past the new version was too sterile and controlled to be of interest. I voluntarily banned myself from the forum and have only gone back through links from this site, when unusual events like your being banned were reported.

I find the technical discussions, the reason I joined and remain a member, sufficient to continue to participate in the technically oriented forum groups. OD was a unique environment on the web but, based on the latest actions, it is gone and apparently lost forever.

Jim
post #66 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 09:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry to hear you were banned, Bot. When I was banned, I thought it was arbitrary. I still would go there on occasion. As time has passed, the spicyness that I appreciated over there on the Off-Topic waned as did my interest. I have abandoned it altogether now.

Sounds like sour grapes, I know. It seems the whole reason I liked that place, is over on this board now. Even though the individuals on this board and I don't always agree, I've come to enjoy the depth of intellect and humor here.

aborted Shop Forum member

post #67 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
azimuth - 3/22/2005 9:30 PM

Sounds like sour grapes, I know. It seems the whole reason I liked that place, is over on this board now. Even though the individuals on this board and I don't always agree, I've come to enjoy the depth of intellect and humor here.
It's the folks I disagree with that I truly appreciate the most, even if the feeling isn't mutual. How boring it would be if we all agreed...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #68 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 09:38 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1984 300SD 1986 300SDL 1989 300SE 1998 740iL
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 3/22/2005 11:26 PM

I'm curious what he'll do in response.
You'll be the second to know.[:D]

Brian Carlton
1984 300 SD
1986 300 SDL
1987 300 SDL
post #69 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 09:45 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1984 300SD 1986 300SDL 1989 300SE 1998 740iL
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

Quote:
MTI - 3/22/2005 10:57 PM

Quote:
GermanStar - 3/22/2005 10:47 PM
I find it interesting that all of members of the banned save one were prolific posters of significant intellect.
Now, you've piqued my curiosity . . . which of these things is not like the other . . ?
You damn well know who the "save one" is. Need I remind you of your earlier interactions today.[:D][:D]

Brian Carlton
1984 300 SD
1986 300 SDL
1987 300 SDL
post #70 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 09:50 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh that guy’s got some control issues I think, but no matter. There was a moment where there was such participation that you could almost have a real discussion. There would be several posts come up while I was writing and the flow was pretty constant so that it would hold my interest. So that’s over and lamenting it is pointless. That last thread Bot started this AM was really interesting, but I haven’t had time to read through it well. Hope he doesn’t delete it – just keep posting those good links when you find them. This one will keep you busy http://www.h-net.msu.edu/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in