BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
RE: Your RIGHT to live??? Maybe not!

Quote:
azimuth - 3/24/2005 9:45 PM

well, perhaps the most humane thing to do for our death row convicts is to put them down by starvation. If, according to the above article, it aint so bad to die that way then hey, we save on the cost of administering a lethal injection and all that that entails and as an added bonus, for no extra cost, we save on the last meal and the hands that prepare it. But wait, if we do 'em right now we get the pleasure of watching 'em die slowly; all the while quelling our guilty consciences with soothing thoughts of how euphoric it must be for them. How kind.

Perhaps we could find other members of society that would benefit from a little starvation therapy......hmmm......how about all those pesky poor people and druggies? They haven't much for which to live. Let's offer our services to them too!

The above article is crafted to make anyone who might be anguishing over whether Terry Sciavo is suffering to death, feel better and turn thier attention elsewhere. If she is a veggie, as some say, it doesn't matter. She's not feeling it. If she is feeling the agony, as this article seems to imply by feeling the need to salve our acing hearts, then she is being murdered in super slo-mo.
The reason they resort to starvation is because of the way the law is written. If they give her a sweet morphine send off, they have committed an act of homicide under our laws. If they remove "extraordinary means of life support", she legally dies a natural death. Those who think it is cruel should lobby to give the rest of us the right to have one final good buzz into the heavenly hereafter.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 05:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
MS Fowler - 3/24/2005 9:56 PM

Two things I don't understand.
1) Since there is no written documentation, why is mere hearsay admissible as evidence in court? ( and don't say "because the courts have so ruled"--its still bizarre.)
2) It is a bit disconcerting to hear so many people who seem to be cheering for her death. Doesn't that seem odd?

I think the republican argument to more on the side of defending the defenseless than it is a federal/ state argument. You guys who call this a "personal" decision, I think are missing a point--we are opening the door to ending all unwanted/inconvienient life.
We are not opening the door to anything. People make these decisions all the time. As far as hearsay, I was not in the courtroom for the 23 trials these people have had. I am not stupid. Any situation that receives that kind of scrutiny from that many people is not going to end with some casual decision. As I stated before, MSNBC ran an investigative report on who is financing these millions of dollars in legal fees for the Schindlers, and found that TWENTY TO THIRTY attorneys have been working on this case for the Schindlers, all financed by right wing interests who think the case is a vehicle for harming the democrats. Do you really, really, think at this point no legal stone has been left unturned? The problem these people have had are not the result of any new ground being broken, it is the EXISTING LAW. If you don't like it, move to Florida and try to change it. Good luck getting a state full of old couples to give up their rights to deal with each other's final wishes.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 11:03 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Steak, anyone? [:D]

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 11:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just a potato, please. Chives, sour cream, a little butta.
Bacon bits and a beer.

The collected works of Heinlein.

A trigger and the fervent hope that I am aware enough to pull it.
post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 10:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

I got suckered into reading this thread again. I thought SKLASSE-8 came out of hiding and I was hoping to hear his rationale for disappearing. No such luck. Still on the self imposed bannishment to where ever he sent himself. While his belief in his cause likely hasn't been diminished, this example has apparently lost its shine for him to the point where joining the banter on any subject is no longer attractive. Having been shouted down a number of times myself, it is not the end of the world. Jim
post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 10:32 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Many an ideology has been quashed but for the price of a Porterhouse. - Del Monico

post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 10:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

Quote:
ThrillKill - 9/25/2005 12:32 PM

Many an ideology has been quashed but for the price of a Porterhouse. - Del Monico
I am telling you guys, it is the 7 finger pork chop at Perry's in Sugarland! Forget that beef stuff. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in