post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The right to die.

Today I was really disgusted with the Republican Party. We as Americans should have to right to die and marry a pet rock. It sickens me to have someone think they know what is best for your life. My wife and I made arrangements to see our lawyer Friday to draft our wills so the other living spouse can pull the plug if one of us becomes in the state like the lady in the article.

If this keeps up, I will be voting for the Democratic Party in the next election. My circle of friends are middle of the road republicans that cannot stand for the far right Republicans.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/17/schiavo.brain-damaged/index.html

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 03:59 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1982 300SD
RE: The right to die.

You are doing the right thing by visiting a lawyer and getting the document in writing. This whole case would have been over if that had been done. Now its " he said, she said".
Let me get this straight, you are unhappy with republicans for trying to run your life, and you think the democrats are the solution?
ROTFLMAO!!!
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 05:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I don't know what you think is so funny. Right now the Republicans are telling us what religion is in charge down at the courthouse by adorning it with religious slogans from their own religion, they are advocating forcing my child to pray and to be taught utter ignorance instead of geology and biology while they currently force him to say a patriotic chant to their God every day. They are advocating and have passed various laws allowing expanded police powers to snoop and search, and they are advocating forcing women to have children against their wills while they attempt to tell certain groups of people who they can and cannot share their lives with. They have instituted violence as our official foreign policy, and yesterday Bush himself was on television attempting to justify policies of torture. In addition, their "decency" campaigns against those on the airways who say sexual things they don't like makes one wonder what other speech they are about to attempt to limit, especially given their campaigns to make those who protest their war policies into traitors. And then of course, there is their massive Ministry of Propaganda run by Gruppenfurhers Murdoch and Limbaugh that tell us all what to think while they extol the virtues of The Party and its Line, while they change history to suit their own needs. Currently, the Propaganda Machine lies about Social Security in an attempt to enrich the corporations and further divide this country into The Powerful and The Poor, and if it works as well as it did in the Presidential campaign, this will be the new way this country will be ruled - by lies and propaganda instead of thoughtful democracy. If you want creeping fascism, sure, go ahead, vote Republican.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 06:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 04c230k sport sedan

Quote:
kvining - 3/18/2005 7:57 AM

I don't know what you think is so funny. Right now the Republicans are telling us what religion is in charge down at the courthouse by adorning it with religious slogans from their own religion, they are advocating forcing my child to pray and to be taught utter ignorance instead of geology and biology while they currently force him to say a patriotic chant to their God every day. They are advocating and have passed various laws allowing expanded police powers to snoop and search, and they are advocating forcing women to have children against their wills while they attempt to tell certain groups of people who they can and cannot share their lives with. They have instituted violence as our official foreign policy, and yesterday Bush himself was on television attempting to justify policies of torture. In addition, their "decency" campaigns against those on the airways who say sexual things they don't like makes one wonder what other speech they are about to attempt to limit, especially given their campaigns to make those who protest their war policies into traitors. And then of course, there is their massive Ministry of Propaganda run by Gruppenfurhers Murdoch and Limbaugh that tell us all what to think while they extol the virtues of The Party and its Line, while they change history to suit their own needs. Currently, the Propaganda Machine lies about Social Security in an attempt to enrich the corporations and further divide this country into The Powerful and The Poor, and if it works as well as it did in the Presidential campaign, this will be the new way this country will be ruled - by lies and propaganda instead of thoughtful democracy. If you want creeping fascism, sure, go ahead, vote Republican.
I would consider myself a moderate in terms of what political party I would back as I apperciate and agree with views from both the republican and democratic party and as for my religious background I am athiest, but I however disagree with this post for a few reasons. First off Republicans are into tradition which would include the phrase "In God We Trust" which does not neccesarily mean the one christian god. It can be translated to any god that exists within any monotheistic religion as well as dualistic religions as the god that symbolizes the creator as opposed to the destroyer. Secondly the only time your child will be forced to pray is if he attends a catholic/christian private school in which the school is free to teach the religion of their choice or if you live in some back country town in kansas which does not even account for 1% of the total U.S. population. As for learning biology and geology, biology is a required course in MOST public high school systems which includes the basics from geology. Darwin is talked about in public schools and often students are encouraged to read the origin of the species and teachers give full lecture on "Darwin's Moth's" that existed within the industrial revolution. As for expanding police powers in search and siezure, what is the big deal unless of course you indeed have something to hide. I understand human rights and liberties but I also understand that actual security is far more important then this false sense of security we had prior to 9/11. I have no problem with government officials listening into my phone conversations or searching my vehicle without a warrant because I do not have anything to hide or need to hide anything. Besides this power that authorities have is not exercised on just anyone but people that are potential threats to the american people in terms of violence not intellectually. Freedom of speach still exists in full effect and if you do not believe that then you are very hypocritical as this very forum you are reading and contributing to is a form of free speech. You are not being subjected to random searches of your computers harddrive because you make contributions here. Next you comment on how women are forced to bare children against their will in which you are reffering to abortion one would gu.ess Abortion is not as sensitive to political party as it is to religious affiliation hence why essays on aborition by Pope John Paul are often citied when arguements take place on this topic. It is a matter of philosophical beliefs as well as personal values that are taken into consideration when one makes a desicion on whether a woman should be free to abort or not which is different then the political party one claims on the ballet, atleast one would hope. As for limiting public speech about sexual things by public figures anyone with half a brain would agree with the limits placed on by the FCC. First off it protects our youth from vulgarities that they do not need to hear. Do not get me wrong, I think people like Howard Stern are hillarious but his show is something I would not want my 4 year old listening to regardless of how much he or she understood. As for changing history, I have no clue how you came up with this concept in that anyone who has a computer can check the validity of a statement regarding history. If the masses believe what these big political figures say then so be it, what makes you so different in your previous statement in most of what you said was entirely untrue or worded in a twisted way just as the propaghanda you just called out the republican party as a whole for. basically it is another case of hypocracy and stereotyping as you stated the republican party as a whole does these things. I usually listen to what you say and agree with you but this time I think you are off track and need to be set straight. So sure if you want creeping communism, go ahead, vote kvining.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 08:26 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
tiggerfink - 3/18/2005 2:18 AM

Today I was really disgusted with the Republican Party. We as Americans should have to right to die and marry a pet rock. It sickens me to have someone think they know what is best for your life. My wife and I made arrangements to see our lawyer Friday to draft our wills so the other living spouse can pull the plug if one of us becomes in the state like the lady in the article.

If this keeps up, I will be voting for the Democratic Party in the next election. My circle of friends are middle of the road republicans that cannot stand for the far right Republicans.

The far right crowd has been running the show in the GOP for a while now. Until or if we get our party back, the only prudent move is to abandon ship. The Republican party ain't what it used to be. Was it ever?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 10:55 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

I enjoy the fact that they issued a subpoena to the brain dead woman.

I always enjoy it when like minded individuals get together.

Forum killa

You have been banned for the following reason:
insulting mod

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 01:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005

Quote:
tiggerfink - 3/18/2005 4:18 AM

In the absence of absolute knowledge, you would err on the side of death?

Can you prove (other than hearsay) that Terry wants to die?

what, in the article, is so objectioable to you?

aborted Shop Forum member

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 01:41 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

She's been brain dead for 15 years. 15 freaking years. Come on we treat our pets better than this.

Forum killa

You have been banned for the following reason:
insulting mod

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 02:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005

What sets a very dangerous precedent in this case is this. The husband SAYS, that his wife would not want to live like this. How does he know this? There is nothing in writing from his wife that states this(his?) opinion. So who decides exactly what the quality of life must be, before they are terminated? The husband? Who in some cases, will cash in on life insurance policies? NO ONE KNOWS EXACTLY her quality of life. The fact is... There is NO quality in death! If the patient themselves sit down with a lawyer, doctor, and family, and in a right state of mind (ie not delusional or screaming in pain) decides legally to terminate his life, or set exact conditions, to do so in the future would be logical. Without my EXPRESS permission, IN WRITING! I DO NOT want someone JERKING the plug on my life. Do you? Bush supports this logical (as opposed to emotional) way of thinking. Bush said this, and I agree - "Those who live at the mercy of others deserve our special care and concern. It should be our goal as a nation to build a culture of life, where all Americans are valued, welcomed and protected -- and that culture of life must extend to individuals with disabilities," Bush said in a written statement.

"I have spent MOST of the money I have made in my life on expensive women, expensive cars, and expensive drugs. The rest I just wasted." S-KLASSE8, "Belief in the supernatural, reflects a failure in the imagination." - Edward Abbey "Give me a firm place to stand, and I will move the Earth." - Archimedes - 1979 (fully restored) 450SLC - 1989 (fully restored)420SEL - "S CLASS STYLE - S CLASS ATTITUDE"
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

To live as a turnip or die....... Hmmmmmm -- I'll take death please. I think this poor creature's parents are incredibly selfish to have maintained this travesty for so long. Shame on them.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in