The right to die. - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 11:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: The right to die.

Though I am a conservative Republican, G.W. was never my choice. His signing of this bill does it for me.

Sponsored Links
post #52 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 05:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: The right to die.

MRTIKKET - 3/20/2005 2:51 AM

When the Chicago White Sox hosted the annual All-Star game I was so excited. I go to over 80 games a year between the Cubs and Sox, having private boxes for both. The place was standing room only and my friends and I got there 3 hours before the game. About an hour before the festivities, a White Sox official came up to me with a problem.

Evidently a father and his wheelchair bound son had come with regular tickets. The handicapped seats were all spoken for, and the fire marshall would not let them go down the stairs with the wheelchair. Since my box was handicapped accessible, with an area to park a wheelchair, the official, who was a friend, asked if I'd mind letting the two of them into my area.

Well, it really isn't a request is it? Who the hell would say no? In they came. The son was severly disabled w/a bag of urine strapped to the outside of his shorts. Lovely. The father was extremely nice and so attentive to his son, who was 17. The father told me that Tim had been in a terrible car accident at age 10, suffering brain trauma, his mother and siblings did not survive the crash.

Tim was totally spastic, made no real eye contact other than a blank stare. His father fed him his hot dogs, wiped his mouth, he drank poorly through a straw. My day went from extreme excitement and anticipation to just plain sorrow. With this sorrow came extreme admiration for his dad.

The festivities started. The Blue Angels roared right over our heads at low altitude. I don't ever recall any other sound experience that amazing. I jumped clear out of my seat. Tim didn't flinch.
He didn't even look at the jets, even though he was looking straight up. He continued looking straight up during the entire game. I don't think he looked down or sideways unless his dad spoke. I tried to speak, make some comments to him, no response.

The point I'm babbling about is, who the hell has the right to let Terry Schiavo die. From the video clips I've seen, she certainly has more interaction than my friend at the ballpark. His dad doesn't find him a burden but a joy. Terry Schiavo's family is willing to take on all responsibility associated with her care. Do you think Tim from the ballpark wanted to die as opposed to sitting in the sun and eating a hot dog? I really don't know, but my guess would be that he'd choose the hot dog.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt that my reasoning had to be fully explained.

Also, I must say that if this happened to my wife, and her family wanted her alive, I know I couldn't have the balls to take what was left of their daughter from them. Think about that.
I don't think I've been this affected since 9/11. And it seems that 9/11 is out of most of America's mind now. I am, absolutely heartsick about this outcome. I never thought of it as a political subject, rather the simple concept of right from wrong.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: