Will reducing the Interstate speed limit to 65 help reduce population? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: Will reducing the Interstate speed limit to 65 help reduce population?

Quote:
mzsmbs - 3/16/2005 2:21 PM

tiggerfink, i think you're off too. cars in the US are the most efficient at 55mph (for the most part) thus at 55mph they spew the least amount of crap into the atmosphere.. in that 500 miles at 55mph you'd burn less fuel than at 65mph which means less crap in the air.
Can you prove that new cars today are most efficient at which speeds? Show me numbers.

So if cars are most efficient at 55 mph, then we should not be traveling below 55. So I can tell the officer that I was doing 55 in a 35 because of efficacy.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 02:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

not all speed limits are there because of efficiency. some are purely for safety... school zones, parks, urban..

in political asylum
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 03:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
tiggerfink - 3/16/2005 3:49 PM

Can you prove that new cars today are most efficient at which speeds? Show me numbers.
just off the top of the google heap

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=21
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question477.htm
http://tqjunior.thinkquest.org/4116/Trip_Planning/speed.htm

since the 70s energy crisis and maybe before the designers keep 55-60mph as the efficiency target...

it's actually pretty simple for you to see in your own car. how efficient do you think is your car at 2k rpm and 3.5k rpm? there is also a number below i think it's a bit below 1.5k rpm where it does drop again.. depends... bell curve of sorts... "speed cost money. how much can you afford?"... that's a sig of one of the members around here and it's also true... of course there are many factors but generally speaking that's what you get...

i live in the racing capital of the world and see creme de la creme 3 x/y... efficiency is a huge part of the game...

in political asylum
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
mzsmbs - 3/16/2005 2:21 PM

tiggerfink, i think you're off too. cars in the US are the most efficient at 55mph (for the most part) thus at 55mph they spew the least amount of crap into the atmosphere.. in that 500 miles at 55mph you'd burn less fuel than at 65mph which means less crap in the air.
Pollution emissions and efficacy are two different things. You could say by driving at a less efficient speed will add pollution at the refineries, because they have to make more gas. But I would like to see the most efficient speed on my SLK 320 and SL500. 50 MPH is an average number for all cars. It does not prove at which speed are my cars the most efficient.

TDOT is lowering the speed limit because of emissions at a current time. There numbers do not include the distance and time of the trip at various speeds.

I better way of reducing emissions from vehicles is making it mandatory for all vehicles to pass the emissions test. I can see a lot of people spending a lot of money just to upgrade the emission systems of their cars that are older than 10 years old.

I see a lot of old Mercedes here that will not pass the city emissions test. But they live in the county and are not require an emissions inspection. I would support TDOT if it requires all vehicles in the state to pass an emissions test. If the vehicles cannot pass the emissions test, the owners have 30 days to comply or they cannot get a tag.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 05:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: Runs

Quote:
mzsmbs - 3/16/2005 3:18 PM

Quote:
MetaPhysicalPajamas - 3/16/2005 1:52 PM

Running traffic at different speeds on the same stretch of road doesn't work. This is stupid and dangerous.
sorry but you're wrong. highways are designed for cars not trucks. trucks are bigger and heavier and thus need to travel slower to be able to stay between the lines
Highways not designed for trucks? I hope you are kidding. The interstate highway system is specifically designed to move the military, no trucks??

Can't stay between the lines?
It is interesting that you are comfortable enough with making such statements and telling me I am wrong. This is ridiculous.

Have you ever driven a large vehicle?

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 05:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005

on the highway, speed doesn't kill.....Differential speed kills.

aborted Shop Forum member

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 06:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
MetaPhysicalPajamas - 3/16/2005 7:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Running traffic at different speeds on the same stretch of road doesn't work. This is stupid and dangerous.
sorry but you're wrong. highways are designed for cars not trucks. trucks are bigger and heavier and thus need to travel slower to be able to stay between the lines
Highways not designed for trucks? I hope you are kidding. The interstate highway system is specifically designed to move the military, no trucks??

It is interesting that you are comfortable enough with making such statements and telling me I am wrong. This is ridiculous.

actually they are not. ever notice how fast the military veh. travel? it's safe for a tk to speed? are you out of your mind? ridiculous? that's why all the jackknifes all over the place.. right! simple physics tell you that big rigs are dangerous...

in political asylum
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 07:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: Runs

Google search some stuff like: National Defense Highway System, Interstate Eisenhower defense or military, Interstate design trucks, etc.

Everyone posts crap sometimes but when you are going to tell someone they are wrong you really should search before you post. Good night.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
mzsmbs - 3/16/2005 7:17 PM

Quote:
MetaPhysicalPajamas - 3/16/2005 7:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

actually they are not. ever notice how fast the military veh. travel? it's safe for a tk to speed? are you out of your mind? ridiculous? that's why all the jackknifes all over the place.. right! simple physics tell you that big rigs are dangerous...
It is called bad drivers. I watch a semi jack knife because some dumb punk change lanes right in front of him and slow down. I saw the whole thing. The dumb punk got the ticket.

Interstate was design to transport military vehicle at speeds between 50 to 70 MPH, and it was also designed for interstate commerce.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/origin.htm

http://www.eisenhower.utexas.edu/highway.htm

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa052499.htm

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:23 AM
BenzWorld Member

For population control AND to reduce health care costs, we need to outlaw seatbelts NOW! Seatbelts are a major contributor to rising health care costs. People used to just die, and now they live and have to be treated.

I'm really trying to see things from your perspective, but I'm having trouble getting my head up my ass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in