Are you confused about Iraq? Chances are? YES! - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 08:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
RE: Are you confused about Iraq? Chances are? YES!

"Patriot Act" is fascistic name. You guys are a couple of virgins, aren't you?

Politicians have been naming bills and laws for like, a billion years, to make them sound warm and cuddly. Like the incredible infringement on 1st amendment rights, "Campaign Finance Reform", for example. That has had actual, direct infringement on free speech and you guys support it, am I right?

Now go ahead and tell me about how money has skewed the electoral process. I love that one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Context is everything. Since 9/11, the trappings and false sentiments of uber patriotism have banished dissenting views and critical skepticism of such reactions to a ghetto of hostile irrelevance, via overt political manipulations by the powerbroking elites. In this corrosive environment, who could possibly be seen to oppose anything labeled "Patriot"? Russ Feingold was the only Senator to bother reading the authorizing bill, and consequently, the only one to vote against it.

Burning Reichstag redux
post #53 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 10:45 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 3/6/2005 10:00 AM

Politicians have been naming bills and laws for like, a billion years, to make them sound warm and cuddly. Like the incredible infringement on 1st amendment rights, "Campaign Finance Reform", for example. That has had actual, direct infringement on free speech and you guys support it, am I right?

Now go ahead and tell me about how money has skewed the electoral process. I love that one.
But campaign finance reform was a bill about campaign finance reform. The Patriot act neither created, outlawed or regulated patriots.

Here's another tip. Any law named after someone is a bad law.

Forum killa

You have been banned for the following reason:
insulting mod

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #54 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 11:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

Quote:
MRTIKKET - 3/5/2005 6:42 PM

What confuses me about Iraq is why the U.S. isn't getting any oil yet. In the beginning of the war, I was under the impression that everything we spent financially, would be returned to us in the way of oil or the proceeds of oil sales. What happened to that train of thought?
Have you been living in a cave? Oil profits are at record levels. Mission accomplished in the quest for oil.

OBK #35

post #55 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
GermanStar - 3/5/2005 10:13 PM

Quote:
S-KLASSE8 - 3/5/2005 7:30 PM

With all those cuts in our defense. What foreign language do we all need to start learning? That is those of us left who aren't killed in the bloody take over. Lovely thought???
You crack me up, bud! You may have a real future as a stand-up...
Your avatar speaks loads to the personality complex you display in your posts. You THINK you have the IQ of Albert Einstien, and look at the world, like someone on LSD. Your Psych Dr. can start picking out the color of his new S500. At least we're amused by your "other worldly" comments. Keep them coming! [;)]...[:D]

"I have spent MOST of the money I have made in my life on expensive women, expensive cars, and expensive drugs. The rest I just wasted." S-KLASSE8, "Belief in the supernatural, reflects a failure in the imagination." - Edward Abbey "Give me a firm place to stand, and I will move the Earth." - Archimedes - 1979 (fully restored) 450SLC - 1989 (fully restored)420SEL - "S CLASS STYLE - S CLASS ATTITUDE"
post #56 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 11:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 3/6/2005 11:31 AM

Context is everything. Since 9/11, the trappings and false sentiments of uber patriotism have banished dissenting views and critical skepticism ...
Give me a break. Dissent is everywhere that people wish to express it. What toasts your buns is that most people do not feel so strongly about these issues that dissent is their choice of expression. Instead, they are mildy concerned and hope things will turn out well in the end.

Here's why I believe that model is accurate. When bad news happens people groan but don't burn politicians in effigy. When something positive happens there is great relief. So I think that the general tenor of national response is negative toward curent events, but very hopeful that good will come of it. So long as hope remains, there will be no widespread dissent and dissenters will be viewed as the kook fringe.

But that cna change either through circumstances of by concerted effort to change folks minds away from hopefullness and to hopelessness.
post #57 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 12:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
koop - 3/6/2005 12:45 PM

Quote:
Botnst - 3/6/2005 10:00 AM

But campaign finance reform was a bill about campaign finance reform. The Patriot act neither created, outlawed or regulated patriots.

Here's another tip. Any law named after someone is a bad law.
"Campaign Finance Reform" was about restricting the freedom of speech.
post #58 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Botnst - 3/6/2005 10:52 AM
Give me a break. Dissent is everywhere that people wish to express it. What toasts your buns is that most people do not feel so strongly about these issues that dissent is their choice of expression. Instead, they are mildy concerned and hope things will turn out well in the end.
I don't give breaks away, you've got to earn one...I'm waiting.

Yes dissent is everywhere...except in the news sources that the vast majority of the population absorb. Dissenting views were required in the aftermath of 9/11 and the runup to the Iraq fiasco...yet, they were few and far between on the pages and screens of the kingmakers of news. Had dissenting views been given their proper due exposure in a fair hearing, we may never have gotten ourselves involved in that quagmire...oh, and we might just have gone after and captured the 9/11 perps--remember them?

So much for the So Called Liberal Media (SCLM)
post #59 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
S-KLASSE8 - 3/6/2005 11:49 AM

Your avatar speaks loads to the personality complex you display in your posts. You THINK you have the IQ of Albert Einstien, and look at the world, like someone on LSD. Your Psych Dr. can start picking out the color of his new S500. At least we're amused by your "other worldly" comments. Keep them coming! [;)]...[:D]
Yes, this is exactly what I mean. This stuff is pure gold! [:D]

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #60 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 04:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 3/6/2005 3:07 PM

Quote:
Botnst - 3/6/2005 10:52 AM
I don't give breaks away, you've got to earn one...I'm waiting.

Yes dissent is everywhere...except in the news sources that the vast majority of the population absorb. Dissenting views were required in the aftermath of 9/11 and the runup to the Iraq fiasco...yet, they were few and far between on the pages and screens of the kingmakers of news. Had dissenting views been given their proper due exposure in a fair hearing, we may never have gotten ourselves involved in that quagmire...oh, and we might just have gone after and captured the 9/11 perps--remember them?

So much for the So Called Liberal Media (SCLM)
Must be that damnable rightwing conspiracy thingy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in