post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 05:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: we can kill up to our 18 b-day

Quote:
koop - 3/3/2005 6:07 PM

If the penalty for murder is you spend the rest of your life in an 8x10 cage, eating crappy food and getting gang raped for the rest of your days, do you really think there have been many people that opted for that?

I can hear the inner monolouge now:
"you know, if this were a capital punishment state, there is no way I'd kill my wife, but if all I'm looking at is get ass pounded for the next 30 years, I'm good with that. Where's my gun?"

I see your point. Still, if the logic that the death penalty is not a deterrent because murders still occur, then wouldn't the same logic apply to the prison life deterrent? I don't mean to be argumentative with you Koop, I think we are on the same page for the most part. I just think that prison life is enough of a deterrent either. If it were, wouldn't we see a drop in population congruent with the discomfort quotient(sp)?

Perhaps you feel as I do.....there is really no deterrent but what the individual provides for him/herself. What do you think?

aborted Shop Forum member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 06:24 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2004

I think the whole concept of deterence is misplaced when it comes to murder. Deterence necessarily implies making some kind of risk reward judgement. But once you're at life, what's left. Is there someone going I'll do life but not the chair.

I'm sure there are people who would say, "I know I'm going to spend the rest of my life in jail but it's worth it" just like there are people who might say " I'm going to fry for this but it's worth it" but really how many?

Forum killa

You have been banned for the following reason:
insulting mod

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 07:11 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005

Quote:
kuan1 - 3/2/2005 2:17 PM

If you're for the death penalty then do you agree with less heinous "eye for an eye" type punishments? Would anyone who is OK with the death penalty be OK with busting someone's head open for busting someone else's head?

What is justice anyway?
Easy to be generous, giving "life" to murderers that happen to be older teens, but I wonder how you would feel if one of these people killed someone close to you. How about multiple murders? (Columbine or Malvo case?) Might be different...

"I have spent MOST of the money I have made in my life on expensive women, expensive cars, and expensive drugs. The rest I just wasted." S-KLASSE8, "Belief in the supernatural, reflects a failure in the imagination." - Edward Abbey "Give me a firm place to stand, and I will move the Earth." - Archimedes - 1979 (fully restored) 450SLC - 1989 (fully restored)420SEL - "S CLASS STYLE - S CLASS ATTITUDE"
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 07:40 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: Passat Variant
Send a message via Yahoo to kuan1

Quote:
S-KLASSE8 - 3/3/2005 8:11 PM

Quote:

If you're for the death penalty then do you agree with less heinous "eye for an eye" type punishments? Would anyone who is OK with the death penalty be OK with busting someone's head open for busting someone else's head?

What is justice anyway?
Easy to be generous, giving "life" to murderers that happen to be older teens, but I wonder how you would feel if one of these people killed someone close to you. How about multiple murders? (Columbine or Malvo case?) Might be different...
Definitely. Hate's a bad thing. Makes people do bad things. Ask me again when it affects me personally, but that still doesn't make my opinion any more valuable than yours.

I would have liked to get in the ring with McVeigh though. Win or lose, I'd have my "say."

All hail the Sixteen Men of Tain!
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 07:48 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
S-KLASSE8 - 3/3/2005 9:11 PM

Quote:

What is justice anyway?
Thats why we don't let crime victims decide the punishment.

Forum killa

You have been banned for the following reason:
insulting mod

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)

Quote:
S-KLASSE8 - 3/3/2005 7:11 PM

Emotional healing does not come from revenge or even justice. Do you believe that you benefit from the execution of an individual who has taken the life of one close to you? If you do, in what manner?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 08:38 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1984 300SD 1986 300SDL 1989 300SE 1998 740iL
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

Quote:
GermanStar - 3/3/2005 10:17 PM

Quote:
S-KLASSE8 - 3/3/2005 7:11 PM

Emotional healing does not come from revenge or even justice. Do you believe that you benefit from the execution of an individual who has taken the life of one close to you? If you do, in what manner?
I can envision a survivor gaining some measure of closure if the transgressor is executed. It may allow the survivor to move forward with emotional healing. Now, this may be accomplished without the death penalty, but, it is possible that it would be more difficult for some people.

I don't wish to defend this position, since I am not in it, and therefore shouldn't judge it. I just wish to point out that it exists.

Brian Carlton
1984 300 SD
1986 300 SDL
1987 300 SDL
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

I'd sure as hell be far more traumatized if the perp were to be murdered by the State for killing a loved one. Murder is wrong--two wrongs don't make it right.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)

Quote:
Brian Carlton - 3/3/2005 8:38 PM

I can envision a survivor gaining some measure of closure if the transgressor is executed. It may allow the survivor to move forward with emotional healing. Now, this may be accomplished without the death penalty, but, it is possible that it would be more difficult for some people.

I don't wish to defend this position, since I am not in it, and therefore shouldn't judge it. I just wish to point out that it exists.
Emotional healing comes from forgiveness. How do you forgive a dead man?

Violence begets violence. What good can come from the violence of a state-sponsored execution? In a strange way, it condones the act it attempts to deter.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

It condones violent retribution for what very well may have been violent retribution, which may have been for violent retribution, which may have been for...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in