BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '04 G35 Coupe 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: Is a civil war imminent?

Me too.

As for the TV comment, and maybe this is only my observation, but those individuals sharing a similar viewpoint as myself seem less likely to park in front of the idiot box and absorb. I have very few friends that actively try to watch TV. Most (like myself) don't even have a cable hookup. I noticed after college (wait...VD, come and blast my liberal professors!) that I got so much more done without the distraction of the TV. It keeps one docile. Without that thing to zone out on, I feel like I have to get up and accomplish something. I imagine we'd see similar reactions in a good majority of our citizens were the plug to be pulled for a while (where'd I put that Durdin guy's number?). Between cheap beer and Monday night football, the middle class doesn't even care that it's disappearing. People lose jobs, benefits, houses, one by one. They bitch a little, but who cares, we're all pretty self absorbed in our own little issues. It's like that "first they came for the catholics, but i wasn't catholic, so i didn't speak up...". The best part is through parading around on one-issue politics and championing "moral" causes the right is actually able to convince working class idiots that it has their best interests at heart. "Well I don't want no pansy-ass liberal takin' away ma guns, so I'ma reepublican!". "I don't like abortion, so I'm voting for the moral choice". Never mind that the domestic policies of those put into power through these means will do everything possible to make sure it is harder and harder to attain a resonable standard of living. I look at my girlfriend's parents as a prime example. They will likely have to work until they die. Good, salt of the earth types that have been bamboozled by the wonderfully charasmatic stylings or Sean Hannity and Bill O'Really. They feel they are being better parents because they vote in a "morally just manner". Of course, the moral side seems to really want to go "nuke those camel riders" and other such nationalistic cowboy shit. No hypocracy there. Those people aren't rich white guys, they don't matter. And so on and so on. I'm sorry to run off on a rant here. I got to typing and I looked up and there it was. Now where is that Tyler guy's number??

'06 E350

'04 Infinity G35 6MT (Traded 4/06)

'97 C 230 (Traded 12/04)

'02 CLK 55 (RIP 8/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Which side are you on boy?

Quote:
Howitzer - 3/1/2005 12:06 PM

After reading th amoral drival on the forums.

Is civil war imminent? God I hope so.
Hey, you're stuck deep in the heart of USC territory son...whatcha gonna do when they come for you? Bad boy bad boy...
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:01 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)

Quote:
Howitzer - 3/1/2005 2:06 PM

After reading th amoral drival on the forums.

Is civil war imminent? God I hope so.
Someone has to save idiots like you from yourselves.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 05:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

I think it's a little wacky to compare people who come to the US voluntarily and in fact dodge many legal and physical hurdles to do so, with those who were shipped in a couple hundred years ago in shackles and forced to work until death. But maybe that's just me.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 06:26 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1984 300SD 1986 300SDL 1989 300SE 1998 740iL
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

Quote:
kvining - 3/1/2005 1:58 PM

We now have an estimated 12 million people from Mexico living and working in this country, a number I think is a ridiculously low estimate - how long can we maintain a wage slave system, with millions living within in our borders that have no say in our democracy? My view is they must either all be in, meaning union with Mexico, or all of them must be out, so they can build their own democracy. Special interests once again put their own interest ahead of national interest, and we now have created another class of slaves.

But most explosive of all is the new economic system being imposed on this country by corporatists who wish us to be a two-class society like the rest of the world. Little by little they are driving the American middle class out of existence with crooked elections, government-financed propaganda, tax systems rigged to favor the very rich, and policies that guarantee the loss of our technological base. Above all the others, this is the most explosive brew we are mixing.

Sorry KV, too alarmist. The US has been alive and well with multiple classes for many years. In fact, if you looked at the middle class from 40 years ago, they had none of the things that you now have today. Cell phones, computers, fancy cars, all kinds of music boxes, gadgets for the kitchen, etc. The middle class lifestyle has increased over this period.

Of course, there is the working poor of the society, the Mexican and Salvadorean immigrants who do all the grunt work for minimum wage. This is a relatively new phenomenon and it is likely going to continue. But, and this is important, this element of the society is the least likely to complain about it. They will work 16 hours per day for $100. and be thankful that they have a job that pays this well. Please remember the comparison. These folks don't compare themselves to Donald Trump. They compare themselves to their brehteren in their homeland.

Personally, I wish to see an increase in the minimum wage so that these people can live a basic existence. Earning a bit over $200. per week is ridiculous. Should be on the order of $300. per week if it kept pace with inflation.

You would need to define "middle class" to state, with any certainty, that it is being driven out of existence. But, you can find all classes in most areas of the country. By and large, this has not dramatically changed over the past 40 years.

Brian Carlton
1984 300 SD
1986 300 SDL
1987 300 SDL
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 07:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

I don't see anything sufficiently powerful to divide taht can overwhelm the increasingly homogenous nature of American culture.

So long as meritocratic mobility is possible from bottom to top (and back again), social stratification will never be the class system of Europe. And if the upper crust of American society is represented by Bushes, Kennedys, Hilton sisters and the magnificient stars of Hollywood, I don't think we have to worry too much about class, or lack of it.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 07:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2005

Civil war in the U.S.? Nah, way too complacent a society. In Iraq, on the other hand, hell yes.

Joe B.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

We're just in a down part of a recurring cycle. Reason will gain a foothold once again -- eventually...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

That cracks me up. [:D]

Not all Republicans are zealous Christian idots. Some of us do not go church. That is like saying all Democrats are tree hugging liberals that rather kill people to save a tree.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 09:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
tiggerfink - 3/1/2005 10:58 PM

That cracks me up. [:D]

Not all Republicans are zealous Christian idots. Some of us do not go church. That is like saying all Democrats are tree hugging liberals that rather kill people to save a tree.
They're not? Mercy! All this time I thought all Repos were country-clubbing Episcopaleans and all Democrats were holy-rolling fundamentaist rednecks.

Oh wait, that was back then.

Now the Democrats are in the country club clipping coupons and the Republicans are wage-dependent redneck NASCAR fans.

It's so difficult keeping-up. Help me out here, which ones are the racists and bigots? I never can remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in