post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bush pisses off Putin

In another round of delicate, finessed diplomacy, Bush again makes progress for peace in the world:

Putin loses his smile after lecture from Bush on democracy
By Andrew Osborn in Bratislava

http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/story.jsp?story=614535

25 February 2005

President George Bush subjected Russia's Vladimir Putin to a public lecture on the fundamentals of democracy yesterday, injecting a chill into a relationship that has - until now - been characterised by bonhomie.

Meeting in the Slovakian capital, Bratislava, Mr Bush emerged from a three-hour meeting with the Russian President joking and smiling and full of warm words. But his frequent references to "Vladimir" and the "fella" were peppered with targeted criticism of the state of democracy in Russia with which the more hawkish members of his administration are said to have lost patience.

An unsmiling, visibly irritated Mr Putin squirmed as he listened to Mr Bush tell a press conference he had been told that Washington had "concerns about Russia's commitment in fulfilling" the "universal principles" of democracy. "Democracies always reflect a country's customs and culture, and I know that," Mr Bush said. "Yet democracies have certain things in common; they have a rule of law, and protection of minorities, a free press, and a viable political opposition."

Mr Putin had wanted to talk about the two countries' joint efforts to combat terrorism but was forced instead to defend his domestic reforms and his commitment to democracy.

For a man who is seldom subjected to such face-to-face criticism and is famously cool under pressure, he looked at times as if he was about to lose his composure. "I respect some of his [Mr Bush's ideas] a lot and take them into account. Others I won't. [Such issues] should not be pushed to the foreground. New problems should not be created that could jeopardise our relationship. We want to develop the relationship."

Russian officials tried to play down the tension by suggesting the two men's relationship had matured to a level where they could now tell each other things they did not want to hear.

The two men could not, however, have looked more different.

Mr Bush looked satisfied that he had obliged Mr Putin to justify his views on democracy and claimed a statement from the Russian leader vowing not to roll it back was the meeting's most important moment.

Mr Putin said: "Russia chose democracy 14 years ago without any outside pressure. It made this choice for itself, in its own interests and for its people and its citizens. It was a definitive choice and there is no turning back." A return to totalitarianism was impossible, he added.

However he indulged in none of the informal small talk beloved of Mr Bush and looked relieved to exit the stage with a stiff handshake, his face taut with pressure. In Russian official circles, the meeting is likely to be seen as a humiliation.

Mr Bush also used an earlier speech to revel in the success of revolutions in the former Soviet republics of Ukraine and Georgia, revolutions which Moscow opposed. Mr Bush said he hoped for similar progress in Belarus and Moldova. Agreements did emerge. These were to prevent Iran and North Korea from acquiring nuclear weapons, to safeguard nuclear facilities in both countries, to regulate the sale of shoulder-fired missiles and to accelerate Russia's entry into the World Trade Organisation.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 12:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C 111 Nardo
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
If only Putin got pissed off, that's a huge step forward for Bush's diplomatic efforts!

By being unhesitant to recognize your "opponent's" progress, you show yourself to be a man of integrity! [:D]

“I feel so miserable without you; it’s almost like having you here.”
-- Stephen Bishop
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 12:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RE: Bush pisses off Putin

well i did see some videos from their meetings and shrub looked smug... maybe russia should be next? in the name of democracy they have plenty of the ol' black gold...

actually none of the leaders that the prez visited with looked too thrilled.... germans looked about as happy as Putin did...

in political asylum
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 12:12 PM
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)

Must be tough for Putin. To be lectured by an inferior intellect on what is good for mankind. I unfortunately must now have more respect for Putin for being polite to an idiot and going along with it for the sake of world peace.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 12:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Surprised? Why.....Bush has as much of a personality as a shrub. That's why his last name is Bush.

Did you see how he lectured the General from NATO on World peace? Bush was the only one thought it was funny, no one else in the audience did.

He is a real character alright.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 12:43 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1979 300SD, 1983 300D Mercedes
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 79-300SD

Of course the Liberals would find fault with that....after all you are Comrads of Stalin and old Saddam Hussein. Democrats adn Putin share a common goal.....Communism.

----------------------------------------

Speed is a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

Proud Owner of a

1979 W116 300SD

1983 W123 300D

Come join us at http://schumanautomotive.com/forums
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 02:41 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005

Quote:
79-300SD - 2/25/2005 2:43 PM

Of course the Liberals would find fault with that....after all you are Comrads of Stalin and old Saddam Hussein. Democrats adn Putin share a common goal.....Communism.
I agree with you. Guess some of you thought we should have kissed Putins ass? Not from George. If you wanted ass kissing, should have sent Kerry and his puckering little puppet Edwards. Major crack smoochers![:D]

"I have spent MOST of the money I have made in my life on expensive women, expensive cars, and expensive drugs. The rest I just wasted." S-KLASSE8, "Belief in the supernatural, reflects a failure in the imagination." - Edward Abbey "Give me a firm place to stand, and I will move the Earth." - Archimedes - 1979 (fully restored) 450SLC - 1989 (fully restored)420SEL - "S CLASS STYLE - S CLASS ATTITUDE"
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 03:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004

LOL! Couldn't agree more. Do I need to remind people that [utin once headed the KGB? In my mind, Putin is a thug in a nice suit. Bush should have been much harder on him.

On the subject of Russia next, I'd say no. We need to topple Castro, Strategically nuke Iran, and nuke all of North Korea. How bout that?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 03:42 PM
BenzWorld Member

Just like the old saying "Never fuck with a man's livlyhood" Putin is pissed that his arms sales to rouge states are being squashed.

I say haha........ha.......buy American.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
Howitzer - 2/25/2005 3:42 PM

.......buy American
....cars?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in