post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 09:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
RE: Death become political

MRTIKKET - 2/25/2005 6:02 PM

..On another note, my 45 yr. old brother in law in outwardly perfect health, was given 3 months to live last Friday, after his annual physical. No hope at all. Do you wait it out, or do you just put the dry cleaning bag over your head, and breathe deep? I'll take the dry cleaning bag, please.
One way of looking at it is everybody has exactly the same amount of time on Earth: From when we are born to when we die.

What matters is only this: Did your life have meaning to you?

You define yourself: Good, bad, Evil, happy, sad. All of these perspectives are under your control. If you let other people define them for you, they control your life. They control your death and the decide whether it had meaning.
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: 300d, 409d
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: Death become political

jjl - 2/25/2005 7:36 PM

Suicide is growing in frequency, particularly in young men. Mostly it is tragic. But isn't there something admirable about suicide, if it is selfless? To decide that one has had enough of this life and the courage to do something about it? It's often said that it is 'the cowards way out'. I can't see that at all.

A simple evolutionary hypothesis suggests that it should be easier to commit suicide once past reproductive and child-caring age. Natural selection cannot operate (directly, that is) on individuals once they have reproduced and reared their offspring, so there may well be weaker biological control of our self-destruct capacity as we age.
That hypothesis seems to make sense and explains my own experience. But it doesn't seem to account for the high teenage suicide rate the fact that having children is a reason not to commit suicide (usually).
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: