LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Racism comes in all colors, against all colors

A Freedom High School freshman has run up against much opposition in her quest to start a Caucasian Club.

A local NAACP leader says Lisa McClelland's proposed club, which would be open to all races and ethnicities, smacks of racial division, a charge the 15-year-old denies. McClelland says she and some of her friends simply feel a bit slighted since other school clubs cater to specific cultures and races, such as the Black Student Union and the Asian Club.

"It's not racist because we're not excluding anyone, and we're just trying to solve the issues of racial disparity," McClelland said. Her ethnic background is American Indian, Latino, Dutch, German, Italian and Irish.

So far McClelland has gathered 245 signatures from an array of students, adults and others on and off campus in support of the formation of her Caucasian Club. She's looking to gather additional signatures before submitting the petition to Freedom High principal Eric Volta this week.
Darnell Turner, vice president of the East County chapter of the NAACP, spoke out against the 2002 incident and says McClelland's Caucasian Club sounds like a bad idea at a time when the campus is trying to heal fresh emotional wounds.

"It will not allow us to heal that divide that we've tried to overcome in the past couple of years," Turner said. "If her motivation is to bring harmony, as she alleges, this is not the way to go, just the word caucasian offends some black people."

Some of McClelland's classmates, however, support her effort.

"It'd be tight because they can learn more about their history," said 14-year-old Tyleisha Crooks, a fellow freshman at Freedom who is black.

Elliott Perez, 14, a sophomore at Freedom who is Hispanic and white, also said the school could benefit from McClelland's club.

"I think it's fair for white people to have their own club, because every other race has their own club," he said.

Both Crooks and Perez signed the petition in support of the formation of the Caucasian Club.
The club in a vote by the school board was turned down. Fair? NO!
Oakley is located about 50 miles east of San Francisco.

"I have spent MOST of the money I have made in my life on expensive women, expensive cars, and expensive drugs. The rest I just wasted." S-KLASSE8, "Belief in the supernatural, reflects a failure in the imagination." - Edward Abbey "Give me a firm place to stand, and I will move the Earth." - Archimedes - 1979 (fully restored) 450SLC - 1989 (fully restored)420SEL - "S CLASS STYLE - S CLASS ATTITUDE"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 08:15 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 1984 300SD 1986 300SDL 1989 300SE 1998 740iL
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
RE: Racism comes in all colors, against all colors

Let me see here, the NAACP, which stands for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, things that a "caucasion club" is racist and should be banned.

Do they seem to think that their own racist organization is acceptable because they are a minority?

Does being in a minority justify being racist against the majority?

I suppose it does in the mind of the NAACP.

Brian Carlton
1984 300 SD
1986 300 SDL
1987 300 SDL
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 01:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

If you were in the minority you can form an ethnic club. The administration staff at the University of Memphis told us that in 1988. We were told we could not form a white club and would be expelled for having it on campus. What happen to freedom of speech?

Also a minority scholarship at the University of Memphis is only for black students. Asians do not qualified. And all this time I thought I was a minority for being Korean.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 09:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

NAACP only protects black people, regardless of the name implied. They are the most racist group out there in my opinion. Sorry to say, I owe no one $hit so I don't care to go out of my way to make others feel welcome. I never put anybody in the cotton field, own no slaves, did not put anyone to work in the garment factory in Brooklyn, or to build the trans continent railway.

People should get the f**k over this "you did what to my Great Grandfather" crap, and get a life.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 10:11 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2005 C230
Send a message via AIM to LilBrat

Hmmm.. Racism is still a big problem all over the world. Yes, it is sad.
My opinion is I think it is ok that African American people(/minority) receive some kinda previledges like an affirmative action because they have treated badly in the past. Who wanted be a slave? They have come a long long journey to be called "African-American" since they were called "N....".

I don't say Caucasian people shouldn't make an own club, but if Caucasian people make a club and make it as Caucasian club, somehow it reminds me of KKK.

Remember this is my opinion... I know everyone has a different opinion, so don't get toooo upset if you don't agree with me.

**My finger may be little, but my Daddy is wrapped all around it!!**
~*Think Big and Live Large*~ By. Donald J. Trump
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 11:05 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 2006 E500, 2013 S550 and a retired 88 SDL

Clearly some of you are ignorant of the value of the NAACP, an multi racial organization that was the first to stand against generally accepted practices and National Federal policy that was blatantly racist. People were dying - being lynched and slaughtered because of their race. That's why it was founded and that's why it exist today.

Look at the American Indian who was faced with an extinction agenda and the reservation system because it had no support system in this country. Without this organization Blacks would have been in the same decimated situation but that probably would have been okay with you because you personally had nothing to do with slavery, or unfair labor practices or Asian internment, right?

I have no problem with a Caucasian Club but since Whites are the majority group in the U.S. it is more than a little redundant. It's okay that you are ignorant but here's a little education for ya' you should think before you speak....

For more than ninety five years, the NAACP built and grew on the collective courage of thousands of people. People of all races, nationalities and faiths united on one premise --that all men and women are created equal.

The nation's oldest civil rights organization has changed America's history. Despite violence, intimidation and hostile government policies, the NAACP and its grass-roots membership persevered.

On February 12th The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People was founded by a multiracial group of activists, who answered "The Call." They initially called themselves the National Negro Committee.

FOUNDERS
Ida Wells-Barnett, W.E.B. DuBois, Henry Moscowitz, Mary White Ovington, Oswald Garrison Villiard, William English Walling led the "Call" to renew the struggle for civil and political liberty.

In the face of intense adversity, the NAACP begins its legacy of fighting legal battles addressing social injustice with the Pink Franklin case, which involved a Black farmhand, who unbeknowingly killed a policeman in self-defense when the officer broke into his home at 3 a.m. to arrest him on a civil charge. After losing at the Supreme Court, the following year the renowned NAACP official Joel Spingarn and his brother Arthur start a concerted effort to fight such cases.

President Woodrow Wilson officially introduces segregation into the Federal Government. Horrified that President would sanction such a policy, the NAACP launched a public protest.

The NAACP organizes a nationwide protest D.W. Griffiths racially-inflammatory and bigoted silent film, "Birth of a Nation."

In Buchanan vs. Warley, the Supreme Court has to concede that states can not restrict and officially segregate African Americans into residential districts. Also, the NAACP fights and wins the battle to enable African Americans to be commissioned as officers in World War I. Six hundred officers are commissioned, and 700,000 register for the draft.

After persistent pressure by the NAACP, President Woodrow Wilson finally makes a public statement against lynching.

To ensure that everyone, especially the Klan, knew that the NAACP would not be intimidated, the annual conference was held in Atlanta, considered one of the most active Klan areas.

In an unprecedented move, the NAACP places large ads in major newspapers to present the facts about lynching.

The first of successful protests by the NAACP against Supreme Court justice nominees is launched against John Parker, who officially favored laws that discriminated against African Americans.

NAACP lawyers Charles Houston and Thurgood Marshall win the legal battle to admit a black student to the University of Maryland.

After the Daughters of the Revolution barred acclaimed soprano Marian Anderson from performing at their Constitution Hall, the NAACP moved her concert to the Lincoln Memorial, where over 75,000 people attended.

During World War II, the NAACP leads the effort to ensure that President Franklin Roosevelt orders a non-discrimination policy in war-related industries and federal employment.

NAACP starts a national outcry when Congress refuses to fund their own Federal Fair Roosevelt Employment Practices Commission.

The NAACP wins the Morgan vs. Virginia case, where the Supreme Court bans states from having laws that sanction segregated facilities in interstate travel by train and bus.

The NAACP was able to pressure President Harry Truman to sign an Executive Order banning discrimination by the Federal government.

After years of fighting segregation in public schools, under the leadership of Special Counsel Thurgood Marshall, the NAACP wins one of its greatest legal victories in Brown vs. the Board of Education.

NAACP member Rosa Parks is arrested and fined for refusing to give up her seat on a segregated bus in Montgomery, Alabama. Noted as the catalyst for the largest grassroots civil rights movement, that would be spearheaded through the collective efforts of the NAACP, SCLC and other Black organizations.

In Greensboro, North Carolina, members of the NAACP Youth Council launch a series of non-violent sit-ins at segregated lunch counters. These protests eventually lead to more than 60 stores officially desegregating their counters.

After one of his many successful mass rallies for civil rights, NAACP's first Field Director, Medgar Evers is assassinated in front of his house in Jackson, Mississippi. Five months later, President John Kennedy was also assassinated.

NAACP pushes for the passage of the Equal Employment Opportunity Act.

U.S. Supreme Court ends the eight year effort of Alabama officials to ban NAACP activities. And 55 years after the NAACP's founding, Congress finally passes the Civil Rights Act.

The Voting Rights Act is passed. Amidst threats of violence and efforts of state and local governments, the NAACP still manages to register more than 80,000 voters in the Old South.

The NAACP initiates the first bill ever signed by a governor that allows voter registration in high schools. Soon after, 24 states follow suit.

The NAACP leads the effort to extend The Voting Rights Act for another 25 years. To cultivate economic empowerment, the NAACP establishes the Fair Share Program with major corporations across the country.

NAACP registers more than 850,000 voters, and through its protests and the support of the Supreme Court, prevents President Reagan from giving a tax-break to the racially segregated Bob Jones University.

The NAACP leads a massive anti-apartheid rally in New York.

NAACP launches campaign to defeat the nomination of Judge Robert Bork to the Supreme Court. As a result, he garners the highest negative vote ever recorded for a 1989 Silent March of over 100,000 to protest U.S. Supreme Court nominee.

Silent March of over 100,000 to protest U.S. Supreme Court decisions that have reversed many of the gains made against discrimination.

When avowed racist and former Klan leader David Duke runs for US Senate in Louisiana, the NAACP launches a voter registration campaign that yields a 76 percent turn-out of Black voters to defeat Duke.

The number of Fair Share Program corporate partners has risen to 70 and now represents billions of dollars in business.

Over thirty years after the assassination of NAACP civil rights activist, Medgar Evers - his widow Myrlie, is elected Chairman of the NAACP's Board of Directors. The following year, the Kweisi Mfume leaves Congress to become the NAACPs President and CEO.

In response to the pervasive anti-affirmative action legislation occurring around the country, the NAACP launches the Economic Reciprocity Program... And in response to increased violence among our youth, the NAACP starts the "Stop The Violence, Start the Love' campaign.

2000 Diversity Agreements. Retirement of the Debt and first six years of a budget surplus. Largest Black Voter Turnout in 20 years

Great March. January 17, in Columbia, South Carolina attended by over 50,000 to protest the flying of the Confederate Battle Flag. This is the largest civil rights demonstration ever held in the South to date.

The other comment about reparations was fairly asinine so I won't deign to respond and Affirmative Action Programs were the US governments attempt to right past injustices. Now the majority group wants to say enough is enough but offers no other solutions for achieving parity, and we all know there has never yet been a level playing field.

Think about this; minorities are still fighting to have our votes count in presidential elections - that's how far we've come along - I suppose we just ought to get over it cause thats so "last year"

It’s not surprising that some people want to pretend that things didn't happen and make it all go away. Your sense of entitlement never fails to disappoint. Anyway I’ve got mine and I’m helping my brothers get theirs so you can take your half hearted charity and stick it.

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 11:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

We should learn from the past, but not deprive white folks because of what some idots did in the past.

The NCCAP wants to tear down General Lee's statue, but I was wondering should we tear down the Pyramids since it was built on slave labor.

I still do not understand why we have to pay reparations on something that happen over 100 years ago. I had no part of it.

I feel sorry for the poor white man that lives in trailer parks, because he has no chance in hell to get ahead. If he was black, he would get free help.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 11:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I hate all these ethnic clubs. I don't want to see any of them.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 12:13 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 2006 E500, 2013 S550 and a retired 88 SDL

Quote:
tiggerfink - 2/24/2005 1:33 PM

We should learn from the past, but not deprive white folks because of what some idots did in the past.

The NCCAP wants to tear down General Lee's statue, but I was wondering should we tear down the Pyramids since it was built on slave labor.

I still do not understand why we have to pay reparations on something that happen over 100 years ago. I had no part of it.

I feel sorry for the poor white man that lives in trailer parks, because he has no chance in hell to get ahead. If he was black, he would get free help.
I don't think that all NAACP efforts are worth while - who gives a damn about a General Lee statue - He is substantial figure in American History. I couldn't care less about confederate symbols either, people can choose to honor whatever they desire.

I didn't ask for reparations either. Some injustice you cannot put a price tag on. You would owe someone else the whole damn country if we did put a price on the injustice that happened after the Constitution was written.

Affirmative action WAS reparations. Some blacks took advantage of those opportunities (I did), some didn't. I don't fault all white people for all black failures, but I do fault the majority group for taking away the meager equalizing polices that we had.

The pyramid analogy was good - but that's not my country, Should men file a claim against all women because Eve grabbed the apple first? We can debate B.S. arguments all day. Jews and Asians have had apologies for Government injustice lets start with that.

You go ahead and feel sorry for that poor white man, and then give me the address to write to for the help you said was out there for the poor black man, you can't because it doesn't exist. If you are poor in this country you are screwed no matter your race, but to think that there is some policy where blacks have more realized benefits than whites is just fuckin stupid.

Look up White Privilege on Google someday, and tiggerfink check out ModelMinority.com to get a reality check on Asian issues, you seem to have forgotten your roots, now that's a damn shame.

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Racism - "Prejudice based soley on skin color or race of people". That applies to ALL people, of EVERY color, period. I won't watch Chris Rock's or Sinbad's comedy routines anymore, because of all the "white" bashing they do. Believe me, if it was a white comedian bashing black people like that, it would have made the newspapers the next day! Blatantly racist! What about BET (Black Entertainment Television)? ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX etc... does not PURPOSLEY exclude anyone, soley because of race as BET does. I asked a black friend about this tolerance of racism from black people against white, Asian and Hispanics. He smiled, and said that,"Down deep, we see it as payback". I told him, my grandparents emigrated here from Germany, besides, all those people are dead, that owned slaves. He agreed. He also told me that as a proud American (not Afro-American,that term only seeks to segregate us) that the very idea of "affirmative action" should be insulting to black people, that they needed the playing field leveled for them by white people, or they would never make it otherwise. I agreed.

"I have spent MOST of the money I have made in my life on expensive women, expensive cars, and expensive drugs. The rest I just wasted." S-KLASSE8, "Belief in the supernatural, reflects a failure in the imagination." - Edward Abbey "Give me a firm place to stand, and I will move the Earth." - Archimedes - 1979 (fully restored) 450SLC - 1989 (fully restored)420SEL - "S CLASS STYLE - S CLASS ATTITUDE"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in