BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 2006 E500, 2013 S550 and a retired 88 SDL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Introducing the Ford Fear-Mobile

INTRODUCING THE FORD FEAR-MOBILE

What has become of our automotive dream machines? The sexy, tail-finned spaceships Detroit churned out in the 1950s reflected a vision of a comfortable, optimistic World of Tomorrow just up the road. Times have changed. The urban future envisioned by the designers of this year's Ford SYNus could hardly be more of a nightmare.

The SYNus (pronounced "Sin-U.S.") was the most gawked-at concept car at this year's North American International Auto Show. Looking like a miniature Brink's truck, Ford bills the SYNus as an armored "techno sanctuary" with "intimidating styling." The gun turret slits on the van's sides are—no kidding—bullet proof. The vehicle is smaller than your typical SUV, not to save gas or make it easier to park, but to maneuver through the tight streets of "congested international hotspots."

When you've completed your mission (McNuggets acquired, sir!) you don't just park this sucker, you lock it into "secure mode" and the SYNus "deploys protective shutters over the windshield and side glass." Who needs urban public space or even a living room when the interior of the SYNus transforms into "a mini-home theater with multi-configuration seating and multi-media work station." Instead of a rear window, it's got a 45-inch flat panel screen with Internet access, game console readiness and outdoor video cameras.

Why does the market demand such a vehicle? According to Ford, "As the population shifts back to the big cities, you'll need a rolling urban command center."
Actually, I was under the impression I'd need a decent bike and better mass transit. After all, the cost of continuing to burn vast quantities of fossil fuel will become increasingly burdensome over the next few decades. As American society goes into energy and environmental triage, we will quickly determine that the daily idling of millions of of powerful internal combustion engines in city gridlock is not only wasteful, it's barbaric. Rather than rushing out to buy the new SYNus, citizens of the healthy, functional metropolis of the future will be working overtime to make their cities increasingly car-free.

But Ford obviously knows what it's doing. In launching a vehicle that looks like it can sustain an IED blast (in Iraq war jargon, that's a homemade roadside bomb), the SYNus is the logical next step in the SUV arms race. The more intimidating and aggressive vehicles there are on the road, the more you need one, too. Yet, like the Bush Doctrine of preemptive war, the SYNus goes a step further. A "rolling urban command center" sounds like something you use not so much to defend yourself, but to launch your own attack.

In the past, carmakers marketed to our basest desires. Now they are tapping in to our deepest fears. And why not? Selling fear won George W. Bush the presidency. Ford has every reason to believe that it may move a few cars off the lot as well. Author-Aaron Naparstek

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
RE: Introducing the Ford Fear-Mobile

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

...I reflect a motoring "spirit" that is righteous and noble--do not fear me, for I am the light!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 11:50 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 99 E 320
Send a message via AIM to BackRoll23 Send a message via MSN to BackRoll23 Send a message via Yahoo to BackRoll23

That car is asking for vandalism, especially when it is in "secure mode." I could see some little punk with a can of spray paint wanting to tag it.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 11:57 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005

Is it April 1st already [:0]

Why don't they just make Chieftan Tanks that go faster, they'd sell like hot-cakes. An idiot in your parking spot? Crush them and park with ease.

Rolling Urban Command Centre? FFS [:(!]
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

I certainly hope optional turret mounts are available...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 2006 E500, 2013 S550 and a retired 88 SDL
(Thread Starter)

A buddy of mine sent me that article, and I thought it would get a pretty good reaction from you folks.

My SDL is a bit of a tank but I rather like the idea of gunslits.

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 04:08 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Samurai1833 - 2/23/2005 7:10 PM

...I rather like the idea of gunslits.
Who doesn't [:p]
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 06:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

That's FUNNY! When President Bush is called "too preemptive" when going after a ditator and his regime that has vowed many times to "bring down the United States in any way possible, by any means possible", referring to Saddam. Or "not preemptive enough" by his "allowing" 9/11 to happen. Please! You either take action before the shit comes down, or after. Too many Monday morning coaches out there. I think FORDS are ugly POSs. They're keeping with tradition. The gas tank probley explodes on impact too...

"I have spent MOST of the money I have made in my life on expensive women, expensive cars, and expensive drugs. The rest I just wasted." S-KLASSE8, "Belief in the supernatural, reflects a failure in the imagination." - Edward Abbey "Give me a firm place to stand, and I will move the Earth." - Archimedes - 1979 (fully restored) 450SLC - 1989 (fully restored)420SEL - "S CLASS STYLE - S CLASS ATTITUDE"
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

C'mon dude. I'm still waiting for my Ford GT that you think is such a POS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in