Why do the minorty thinks the majority is wrong - Page 9 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 09:16 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Why do the minorty thinks the majority is wrong

I have to agree with Botnst. Reading the english and scots go at it is pretty damn funny.

Forum killa

You have been banned for the following reason:
insulting mod

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 10:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
koop - 2/25/2005 11:16 PM

I have to agree with Botnst. Reading the english and scots go at it is pretty damn funny.
Sorry Koop, you've just admitted to having had a lobotomy for fun. By golly, I wish we had a few Germans and Poles or Hindus and Muslims to go at it, too. Gawd, what I wouldn't do for some Irish, they're so much more sensible.

Pass me a beer and sing me some Khumbayah!
post #83 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 10:29 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

You want fun? Get an Armenian going.

Forum killa

You have been banned for the following reason:
insulting mod

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #84 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 11:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

In my late teens and twenties (I shudder at the time passed) I had an Armenian buddy in the USN. I had never heard of Armenia before, and he gave me an earful that I will never forget.

The story of human populations is the story of biological populations. It's either a lawnmower or its herbicide.
post #85 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 09:53 AM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL

Quote:
deathrattle - 2/26/2005 2:44 PM

You seem to have some kind of fixation with 'swear words'. Do you think avoiding using 'swear words' is taking some kind of moral high ground, or that it makes you sophisticated, or 'adult' or perhaps even a short cut to being an intellectual? All it makes you is an unimaginative, conformist, anally-retentive, pretentious asshole. As well as being a toadying little-englander racist.
UNQUOTE

It's not a case of having a fixation with swearing merely a sense of when and where it is appropriate.Clearly members of Benzworld are from diverse cultures and age groups and should not have to be exposed to your profane and selfish outbursts.It is usually children who lack the experience to know when or when not to swear and since you are probably an adult it may be assumed that your problem relates to stupidity.Since your miserable country relies heavily on revnue from tourism (and hand outs from Westminster) maybe you should consider the image you are projecting into the wider world.
Sure, instead come to England, land of racist bigots, obsequious, toadying, class-ridden aristocrat-worshippers, where merit rests on choosing your parents carefully and community spirit consist of hating your neighbour at every opportunity.

'Swearing': read some literature and educate yourself. Taboo words are indeed for children.

Image projected to the world: wtf are you on? Has it escaped your attention that we are engaged in an amoral, illegal war? You think that anyone cares about this forum? You must have a screw loose.

As for my personal stupidity, yeah, they let anyone have a long career in science and teach in Universities these days. What do you do for a living, run the four-letter-word department in the little englander thought police?
post #86 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 12:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Hooo-boy.

Ladies and gentlemen, fasten your seatbelts and place your seats and tray tables in the upright position, we expect heavy turbulence momentarily.
post #87 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 01:37 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

RE: Why do the minority thinks the majority is wrong

Man, you sound ripe for a heart attack. Calm down, it's just the freaking INTERNET (is 'freaking' allowed?). Here's something a little less hysterical, though it will disappoint you red meat rubberneckers.

I've done most of my teaching in England, seen a lot of students, done a fair bit of international travel for research & talks. I've written a lot of stuff too. You think I'm educationally sub normal? Well, I sometimes think I am when I meet some other better scientists. And, admittedly, I'm not the best writer on this forum - Botnst, KV, Z & Kerry spring to mind, but who cares, I get by.

I'm with the Americans all the way on freedom of expression; we in the UK are medieval in comparison, and things are getting worse. Somebody in the Middle East doesn't like what I say? Tough. I don't delight in offending people, but I also don't like being told what I can and cannot say. You don't like it? Well, say so, and you have -that's part of it. The taboo words thing is decidedly odd, though - IMO it's a matter of personal taste, some find it ugly, some think it adds sparkle and vitality to expression. I find it mainly the latter, unless it is the only vocabulary one has, and ironically, children seem to be the worst offenders in this respect. There are plenty of internet discussion forums (fora?)where any use of language goes (an excellent one is the 'somethingawful' site) and are much the better for it - those guys make this forum look like a sad old geezer's club.

I do think you are quite wrong, if you are even remotely serious, to indulge in 'jock-bashing'. It's fine for its comedic value, and I have absolutely no objection to you selecting this or that aspect of Scotland and Scots for criticism (I'm no nationalist, btw), but lumping the entire population of a country together and vilifying them IS racism.

Anyone like to comment on the latter proposition?

post #88 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 10:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I don't think it is racism, but it is some sort of -ism to paint a goup with a single brush. If I may generalize (ahem...), one shouldn't generalize.

Having said that jjl, you gotta admit that his was a perfect presentation, like a looping cast of a dry fly to a hungry trout. It danced lightly on the surface and drifted gently over the riffle where he knew the trophy couldn't resist. Up from the depths, like Grindel's foul dam, came his prize and gave the bait a resounding smack, not recognizing the sharp bite of the hook.

He played you artfully for several posts before you recognized the hook and spat it out.
post #89 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 06:22 AM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Botnst - 2/27/2005 5:02 AM

I don't think it is racism, but it is some sort of -ism to paint a goup with a single brush. If I may generalize (ahem...), one shouldn't generalize.

Having said that jjl, you gotta admit that his was a perfect presentation, like a looping cast of a dry fly to a hungry trout. It danced lightly on the surface and drifted gently over the riffle where he knew the trophy couldn't resist. Up from the depths, like Grindel's foul dam, came his prize and gave the bait a resounding smack, not recognizing the sharp bite of the hook.

He played you artfully for several posts before you recognized the hook and spat it out.
I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation, but this place is as subjective as it gets. DR may have been simply indulging in a little dispassionate baiting, but it didn't really seem like that to me, and to be frank I posted some material just to annoy him, and it seemed to hit the mark, and vice versa. Childish, but amusing for onlookers.

Is it racism or not? Perhaps, as you say, it's not quite the right label, but in the absence of a more appropriate one it is close. Here's some context. Scots watching English international sports, particularly football, will often cheer on the other side. I've done this on occasion, just to annoy my wife and friends, but in general when I see Scots doing this SERIOUSLY, it really pisses me off. The same goes for moronic unqualified anti-English remarks, which ARE interpreted as 'racism' by my English friends - their words, not mine. And it cuts the other way - stupid, aggressive 'Jocks' en masse - fuck right off with that. The same goes for anti-American ranting, a popular pastime these days. 'Americans are fat, money-obsessed, warmongering, culturally bankrupt, fundamentalist nut jobs'..etc, etc. It stinks, call it what you will.

post #90 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 09:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

he did a better job of baiting, but you win hands-down with the blistering retort. I could've welded steel with that shit.

I guess my perspective on racism is the starkness of it in my country. It is not possible to ignore the direct relationship to pigmentation. In your (British isles) case, the whole thing is nearlya s confusing to outsiders as are Balkan politics. I know just enough of your history to make blanket assumptions and high-sounding pronouncements, but not enough to back them up past a single question or maybe two.

I think the differences and similarities between your version of regionalism and my own are interesting. The northeastern states were setteled mostly by English and some small numbers of Germans, Dutch and French. The southern states were settled by Scotsmen and Scots-Irish. The familiar battle flag of the Confederacy reveals quite plainly the St Andrew's Cross and that was intentional.

Our own war between north and south was more recent then your last one, so that may make the echoes more resonant in our ears. However your longer history of war may have resulted in something more nearly racism than our regionalism has aquired. We may have moved farther along that divergent path had modern transportation and communication not begun to homogenize us faster than we can teach much regional prejudice. I do believe that southerners feel more regional prejudice (I mean a regional self-identity) than do people from the northern states. That was much more true in my youth than now. I'll bet in another generation, if we still exist as a nation, regional differences will be an incomprehensible memory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in