Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bush, the Dope Head

I just want to dedicate this thread to my friend Alfa:

Report: Friend secretly taped Bush

The White House has not denied the authenticity of the tapes.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 Posted: 6:07 PM EST (2307 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Private conversations with George Bush secretly taped by an old friend before he was elected president foreshadow some of his political strategies and appear to reveal that he acknowledged trying marijuana, The New York Times has reported.

The conversations were recorded by Doug Wead, a former aide to George W. Bush's father, beginning in 1998, when Bush was weighing a presidential bid, until just before the Republican National Convention in 2000, the Times reported Saturday.

The tapes show Bush crafting a strategy for navigating the tricky political waters between Christian conservative and secular voters, repeatedly worrying that evangelicals would be angered by a refusal to bash gays and that secular Americans would be turned off by meetings with evangelical leaders.

On one tape, Bush explains that he told one prominent evangelical that he would not "kick gays, because I'm a sinner. How can I differentiate sin?"

In early tapes, Bush dismisses the strength of John McCain for the nomination and expresses concern about rival Steve Forbes. He also praises John Ashcroft as a promising candidate for Supreme Court justice, attorney general or vice president.

Bush also criticizes then-Vice President Al Gore for admitting marijuana use and explains why he would not do the same.

"I wouldn't answer the marijuana questions," he said, according to the Times. "You know why? Because I don't want some little kid doing what I tried."

According to the article, Wead played 12 of the tapes to a Times reporter. He said he recorded them because he viewed Bush as a historic figure. He is the author of a new book on presidential childhoods.

The White House did not deny the authenticity of the tapes.

"The governor was having casual conversations with someone he believed was his friend," White House spokesman Trent Duffy said, referring to Bush.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 05:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Bush, the Dope Head

I'm genuinely shocked [:0]...

I had no idea he knew a word as long as "differentiate".

post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 05:36 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

He had to learn that word in order to separate his crystal meth from his crack. [:D]

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 05:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Ya'll have been sayin' he's a dope for years. Now it seems you were right!

Nuthin' more insufferable than a reformed sinner getting religion, huh?
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 06:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005

Quote:
Botnst - 2/20/2005 7:46 PM

Ya'll have been sayin' he's a dope for years. Now it seems you were right!

Nuthin' more insufferable than a reformed sinner getting religion, huh?
I think it's safe to say that most of us have said or done things in the past that we regret. It has been said before by wiser men/women than I,"youth is wasted on the young". I wasted a great portion of my youth with the natural consequences of indescretion. I hope that with age, I have moved beyond such foolishness.

That being said, I make it a point not to prejudge anyone based on thier past indiscretions if they've made the progress beyond them. When Pres. Clinton admitted he had smoked pot, I reserved judgement.

Where I have a problem is when an individual actively or passively promotes the indiscretions as a way to boast the expirience.

It appears Mr. Bush hid his drug use from view so as not to affect the youth with his influence and position. However, what were the circumstances around Mr. Gore's revelation of his drug use? Whom has he negatively affected?

I still do not wish to prejudge anyone including Mr Gore. So I only ask the Q, rather than point the finger.

Did Pres. Bush appear to have behaved unwisely and illegaly? Yes. Who among us can say he/she hasn't and who can say that the fact was not hidden?

aborted Shop Forum member

post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 07:01 PM
BenzWorld Member

Kirk's cherished privacy rights go up in smoke.

If you can find me someone who hasn't tried pot, I will show you a happy liberal.
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

I can't think of any discussions we have had on privacy rights, so I am at a loss as to what you mean.

I also agree with your statement, that everyone has smoked pot one time or another at this point in our national history, in fact that is the point of posting it, as it is actually meant to be a response to Alfalfa, who thinks calling me and Z dopers is some badge of shame. Bottom line, mr alfalfa - who gives a shit. I don't see any point in hiding it, I smoked the evil weed now and then until I was around 34. I gave it and booze up that year, and cigerettes up the year after, all in response to the deaths of close friends and relatives to either booze and drug related accidents or lung cancer. At 51 years of age, some seventeen years later, some guy calling me a "doper" is actually pretty laughable.

I think most rationale adults drop these habits because they reach a point of maturity where they realize the cost is higher than the benefits. I think the days when some stigma being attached to prior drug use or experimentation is over. Those that want to engage in villifying others for it now look like asses. I also have no problem with anyone who uses drugs or booze who keeps it off the streets. Do your own thing, man, IDGAS.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 09:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I just wish they'd legalize it so I could smoke it again.
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Why wait?

post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 09:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
kvining - 2/20/2005 11:16 PM

Why wait?
The usual: seizure of property, jail time. For what, a buzz?

Naah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in