LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What's really wrong with the Republicans?

Well, they are a bunch of homophobic bigots, for one thing:

Keyes' daughter says
she's 'liberal queer'
Says she has had rocky
relationship with her parents
Maya Marcel-Keyes, daughter of conservative political commentator Alan Keyes, speaks during a gay rights rally Monday in Annapolis, Md.

The Associated Press
Updated: 11:21 p.m. ET Feb. 14, 2005ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The daughter of conservative Republican Alan Keyes referred to herself Monday as a “liberal queer� and urged support for gay and lesbian young people who have been deserted by their families.

Maya Marcel-Keyes, 19, addressed a rally sponsored by the gay-rights group Equality Maryland, saying she was motivated to speak out because of her rocky relationship with her parents and the recent death of a friend who had fallen ill after being thrown out of the house by his family.

Marcel-Keyes told several hundred supporters that her sexuality had created a rift in her relationship with her parents.

“Things just came to a head. Liberal queer plus conservative Republican just doesn’t mesh well,� she said. “That was making my life a little bit turbulent.�

Later, Marcel-Keyes told CNN her parents “were not too pleased� when they learned she was a lesbian, but she said she loves them “very much, and they love me. They can’t support my activities.�

Her father, the Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate in Illinois last year, created a stir in August when he said during an interview that homosexuality was “selfish hedonism� and that Vice President Dick Cheney’s lesbian daughter was a sinner.

In a statement issued Monday night, Keyes said: “My daughter is an adult, and she is responsible for her own actions. What she chooses to do has nothing to do with my work or political activities.�

Marcel-Keyes said she received an outpouring of support when disclosing her sexual orientation, but her friend did not.

“Like me, he grew up queer in a conservative household,� she said. But where she got hundreds of e-mails, offers of a place to stay and a college scholarship, “he’d been out there two years and had gotten nothing.�

“And the worst part is, he isn’t the only one,� Marcel-Keyes said.

© 2005 The Associated Press

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 08:22 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1979 300SD, 1983 300D Mercedes
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 79-300SD
RE: What's really wrong with the Republicans?

There is nothing wrong with the republicans........except being to easy on the democrats.

----------------------------------------

Speed is a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

Proud Owner of a

1979 W116 300SD

1983 W123 300D

Come join us at http://schumanautomotive.com/forums
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 09:08 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)

Yea but most americans only realize murder when a gun or knife is used. They do not recognize murder by forced exile in a social manner. Whether black, gay, or middle eastern, the whites make the rules that denote a pecking order. And as we all know there is only room at the top for .01%. So guess who gets next to nothing...
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 09:20 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2003

So, now we get to what's wrong with the Republicans. While the minority opinion naturally finds quite a bit wrong with the Republican party, they are still in a post-election grace period. Please don't bore me by quoting popularity polls, they were low prior to the election and they still won.

What will be the problem with Republicans is that while they did win the election both in popular and electoral votes, it wasn't a landslide victory. Most political pundits consider a landslide to be greater than 55% of the vote. Anyway, it's my guess that the Republicans will treat their victory as an overwhelming mandate to implement their policy changes. I believe that this will eventually backfire on them and give Democrats an excellent chance in future elections.

'08 C300 Sport/Barolo Red/Gray-Black Leather/6 SP/AMG Wheels/iPod/P2/MultiMedia/Tele Aid
'09 Pasion Coupe/Gray Metallic/Black Tridion/Comfort Package/Solid Roof/Premium Sound/Fog Lights/Clock-Tach/Anti-Theft/Navigation/Bluetooth
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

This isn't a problem specific to the Reps, but it is indicative of the moral/ethical depravity of the entire duopoly. A pox on both their houses.

Published on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 by the Associated Press
Big Bush Donor Was Promised Ambassadorship
by Sharon Theimer

WASHINGTON -- A big Republican donor goes to his governor and senator, saying he was told by President Bush's chief fund-raiser he'd be getting a plum ambassadorial appointment but it wasn't delivered. The senator takes his case right to the top of the White House.

Nothing happens for two years.

The donor then helps stage a fund-raiser for Bush. A week later, the donor lands an appointment as the chairman of the federal board overseeing billions of dollars of student loans.

The aggressive job campaign of businessman Duane Acklie -- detailed in the Nebraska gubernatorial files of new Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns -- provides a rare window into donors, their access and their rewards.

And there's a twist.

Acklie named names -- including chief fund-raiser Jack Oliver -- and committed to writing one of the unwritten rules of politics: Presidents for years have rewarded big donors with plum ambassadorships.

"My only interest, if I am going to serve, would be in serving as an ambassador or in a position involving trade," Acklie wrote in a May 2001 "Dear Mike" letter to then-Gov. Johanns. The letter was contained in the official gubernatorial correspondence obtained by The Associated Press under Nebraska's open records law.

"Jack Oliver told me several weeks ago that he was informed that I would not receive one of the eight major ambassadorships but would be receiving an ambassadorship," Acklie wrote.

The owner of Crete Carrier Corp., a major trucking company, even wondered aloud why he hadn't yet landed an ambassadorship when other Republicans who helped elect Bush in 2000 had already gotten theirs.

"Most of the appointments have been made. That is perfectly OK, and if others have done more work for the party, are better qualified or have helped the Bush team more, I certainly understand," Acklie wrote. "I don't understand why I haven't heard a single thing after Jack Oliver's comment to me."

Acklie and Oliver both declined to be interviewed for this story.

Johanns' office said the new agriculture secretary may have tried to help Acklie with the White House but couldn't recall for sure. Johanns considers Acklie a "fine person" and would have no problem endorsing him, Agriculture Department spokeswoman Alisa Harrison said.

Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., however, remembers providing assistance.

He personally wrote the president and talked on the phone with White House chief of staff Andrew Card, personnel director Clay Johnson and political adviser Karl Rove, trying to get Acklie an appointment.

Hagel's message was "this is one of Nebraska's leading citizens, he's been successful in business, a civic leader, that kind of thing," spokesman Mike Buttry said.

The White House said it takes recommendations on appointments from all sorts of sources and then makes decisions on the merits.

Federal bribery laws prohibit public officials from directly promising a government action in return for donations or fund-raising help.

Charles La Bella, a former federal prosecutor who oversaw the 1990s investigation into Clinton-era fund-raising abuses, said Acklie's letter wasn't specific enough about a quid pro quo to warrant criminal prosecution.

"I think it's standard operating procedure," said La Bella, the former head of the Justice Department's campaign finance task force. For it to cross the line into illegality, there has to be a "very crystal-clear quid pro quo," in which someone pays to get a specific office, or is promised a specific job if they give a certain amount, La Bella said.

Larry Noble, the former chief enforcement lawyer for the Federal Election Commission, said Acklie's letter "shows that contributions and fund raising do equal access and jobs."

"There's a lot of lobbying for these jobs," Noble said.

For decades, presidents have rewarded some of their biggest supporters with coveted diplomatic jobs. Former President Clinton picked five $100,000-plus Democratic donors to be ambassadors in his first year in office. At least two dozen of Bush's 2000 "pioneers" -- $100,000-plus fund-raisers -- or their spouses won ambassadorships.

Oliver was Bush's fund-raising chief in 2000, overseeing the pioneers before moving over in 2001 to oversee the Republican National Committee's fund raising.

"RNC officials do not play a role in presidential appointment decisions," RNC spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt said, declining to further address Oliver's dealings with Acklie.

Two years after his futile quest for an ambassadorship, Acklie established himself as a top moneyman for Bush's re-election effort.

Acklie helped organize a $400,000 Omaha fund-raiser headlined by Vice President Dick Cheney in July 2003 and was on his way to becoming a "ranger," an honorary campaign title bestowed on those who raised $200,000 or more for Bush. Last year, Acklie also became a "super ranger," raising at least $300,000 for the RNC.

A week after the Omaha event, Bush nominated Acklie to the Student Loan Marketing Association's board of directors as its designated chairman. Acklie lost the post when the board was dissolved late last year.

The letter obtained by AP can be viewed at http://wid.ap.org/documents/acklie.pdf
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 01:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 04 G500

One thing I'm gonna say to you, you tree hugger.

If you don't like the way the Rebuplicans run this great country, then LEAVE!

So that the rest of the people in this country can enjoy it without having complainers like you around.

Protestors, Hippies and Earth biscuits are the real Terrorist.

04' G500 (G-Wagen) Benz (sold) <== we trully miss her.
04' Range Rover <== Traded with an Audemars Piguet RG Royal Oak Montoya =)
07' BMW 750Li <== traded this in, economy is down.
--
10' Acura TL w/ Tech package. (I'm loving this new ride)
09' GL320 BlueTec Black on Black w/ Everything except the grille guard.
08' Gallardo Spyder on HRE's
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Oh my, you're a friendly gent. Bush should appoint you Minister of Domestic security.

...is your uniform a li'l tight around the neck?
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 02:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 04 G500

HMMMM....let me see here, so far most of the republicans drive "newer, badder and AMG" Benzes. Not to mention the majority republicans in the Ferrari & Porsche boards.

However, the cry baby democrats so far on this tread drives:

Vehicle: 1983 280 SL : Kvining
Vehicle: '87 300TD: Zeitgeist
'87 300TD intercooler (205k)
'84 300D (198k)
Gashuffer:
'89 Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition (182k)
<== quite a collection you got there loser.

Here's what I have in my garage right now:
2004 Benz S430 AMG
2004 G-Wagen 500
2005 Range Rover
and here's what I have in the hangar:
1998 Ferrari 355 <== just got it
2003 Porsche 911
Another 2002 Range Rover

My parents thought me well, by working hard and going with the WINNERS (in this case the republican party). Clearly by the looks of your cars, you're still losing in life.

04' G500 (G-Wagen) Benz (sold) <== we trully miss her.
04' Range Rover <== Traded with an Audemars Piguet RG Royal Oak Montoya =)
07' BMW 750Li <== traded this in, economy is down.
--
10' Acura TL w/ Tech package. (I'm loving this new ride)
09' GL320 BlueTec Black on Black w/ Everything except the grille guard.
08' Gallardo Spyder on HRE's
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 02:29 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2003

There are also Republicans that remain silent and lurk through the many threads, taking most everything with a grain of salt and a Sam Adams.

I am an elephant. And Dumbo drives 3 vintage MB's and one W210.[:)]
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 02:39 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Vehicle: '01 C320

Quote:
Man-Du-Ru-Gas - 2/15/2005 4:17 PM

Here's what I have in my garage right now:
2004 Benz S430 AMG
2004 G-Wagen 500
2005 Range Rover
and here's what I have in the hangar:
1998 Ferrari 355 <== just got it
2003 Porsche 911
Another 2002 Range Rover

My parents thought me well, by working hard and going with the WINNERS (in this case the republican party). Clearly by the looks of your cars, you're still losing in life.
You forgot to mention that pansy little "kick me" dog, you manly man you! Your parents obviously didn't teach you much. Are you a real person?
I have a hard time believing that there's somebody as hopelessly pretentious, superficial, and materialistic as yourself. Of course you live in Oakland so maybe I shouldn't be surprised. You sound like a wagon jumper to me with you're "I go with the winners attitiude." I suppose you're a Pats fan now that they won the superbowl. I'd imagine you'd be the first in line to register as a commie if by some miracle they were able to WIN. What a stupid motto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in