Bush as Deep Throat? Author: Former prez was secret source behind Watergate - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bush as Deep Throat? Author: Former prez was secret source behind Watergate

A new theory about Deep Throat, the most mysterious figure in American political history, has been posted on a media Web site.

Could former President George H.W. Bush be the elusive source who brought down President Richard Nixon in the Watergate scandal by leaking key information to Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward?

That's the opinion of Adrian Havill, the author of a 1993 biography "Deep Truth" on reporters Woodward and Carl Bernstein.

Havill, a Virginia-based writer, previously had concluded the unnamed Watergate source was not one person but a composite. Now, after new research, he posted a note on the Romenesko site of the Poynter Institute (poynter.org) targeting the elder Bush as Woodward's unnamed contact.

Havill said he began to suspect Bush when his president son, who dislikes the press, gave Woodward an unusual seven hours of interviews.

Also:

The elder Bush had motivation to dislike Nixon, who had urged him to leave a safe congressional seat for an assistant Secretary of Treasury position and hinted he would replace Spiro Agnew on the 1972 ticket. Nixon reneged, and Bush "was given the thankless task of heading the Republican National Committee in 1973," Havill said.

Bush was United Nations ambassador in New York from 1971 to 1973 but came to his Washington home on weekends. Seven of the eight Deep Throat/Woodward meetings were on weekends.

Bush, who later became CIA director, had intimate knowledge of Washington. "This is a guy with deep political contacts from way back," Havill said.

Both Woodward and Bush are Navy men and Yale graduates.

Woodward has said he will reveal Deep Throat's identity only when the source is dead. Bush may not want to come forward because the revelation he took down Nixon would make the entire Bush clan the "black sheep" of the GOP, Havill said. A call to a Bush spokesman at his presidential library in Houston was not returned.

Havill posted his theory after Watergate notes from the two reporters, sold in 2003 for $5 million to the University of Texas, went on display - minus Deep Throat's identity.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 08:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
RE: Bush as Deep Throat? Author: Former prez was secret source behind Watergate

You mean the Bushes are a bunch of backstabbing finks? How could you even begin to insinuate that?

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Hey -- Bush I deserves sainthood compared to his kid...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 09:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Most people have no idea the number of skeletons hanging in the Bush's closet. Bush I's dad was an out and out Nazi sympathizer, and I truly believe he passed out enough of his fascist theories that they rubbed off on his son and grandson. Bush being called a Nazi by millions of people is no accident.

In the case of Watergate, one must admit it sure did work out nice for the Bushes. Bush I never could get elected to anything more than Congressman from the main oil-money district in Midland - all the other offices he held were either appointed or as part of Reagan's ticket, jobs he seemed to get after his stint at the CIA. The entire rise of the Bush family is down right strange when you look at the actual elected offices they held before acheiving national power.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 05:01 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

go here to get a response from der fuhrer[:(!]http://www.fun.from.hell.pl/2004-11-26/bush_finger.gif
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 06:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Wouldn't want to comment. Wouldn't be prudent.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 06:23 AM
BenzWorld Member

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-op-sources6feb06,0,1365197.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions

I'm really trying to see things from your perspective, but I'm having trouble getting my head up my ass
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 05:38 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

up your ass? or out of it.?[}:)]
remember democracy requires inspection and criticism from all of us if it is to survive ,the bushites spell democracy as O-I-L[}:)]
and don't forget to wipe the vaseline off your head when you get it out[:D][:D][:D]
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 06:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Wouldn't be prudent.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 03:20 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
kvining - 2/6/2005 11:18 PM

Most people have no idea the number of skeletons hanging in the Bush's closet. Bush I's dad was an out and out Nazi sympathizer, and I truly believe he passed out enough of his fascist theories that they rubbed off on his son and grandson. Bush being called a Nazi by millions of people is no accident.

In the case of Watergate, one must admit it sure did work out nice for the Bushes. Bush I never could get elected to anything more than Congressman from the main oil-money district in Midland - all the other offices he held were either appointed or as part of Reagan's ticket, jobs he seemed to get after his stint at the CIA. The entire rise of the Bush family is down right strange when you look at the actual elected offices they held before acheiving national power.
This is accurate, and an excellent source book on the subject is AMERICAN DYNASTY, by Kevin Phillips, in which Prescott Bush's Nazi leanings are clearly documented. The Bushes have been masters of playing every possible political connection to advance to the presidency. At least on paper, Bush I's resume was impressive--WWII service, Congressman, CIA director. Junior, on the other hand, is the least qualified person to sit in the Oval Office imaginable--unless one thinks running an oil company on borrowed money into the ground, or schmoozing his way into "ownership" of the Texas Rangers, or parlaying family oil connections into the Texas governorship count for anything.

Joe B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in