Oil be damned ! - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 02:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1984 300GD "G" Wagen, and 1998 Steyr Puch 290GD "G" Van & a 1988 MB Trac 1000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Difflock
A bit of uncommon sense common sense goes a long way,
I "think" that some of the vans=light trucks are now up to 18,000 miles using the manufacturers oil of course, HGV/LGV a lot are variable, more better oil in the sumop = longer intervals
BMW have variable change intervals depending on duty cycle
If some of the newer engines are allowed to use one pint?/litre?per 1000km, per the manufacturer's allowances --
the oil will be completely changed between services anyway, so just change the filter, but use a good one.
I run on semi synthetic, Shell in a 20l drum, not expensive, every 10,000 miles, oil and filter, ( recommended is 5000 with mineral oil ), only at 175,000 so far.
I have seen advertising by Castrol to the effect that one does need to check oil levels BETWEEN services -- NOT wait until the light comes on !! DUH
Ah well tea's up, better go.
Sponsored Links
post #52 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 04:48 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Mar 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just for the record, I never asked anyone to never change their oil. You can search mercedesshop to verify what I did, or didn't, say.

Zedd is confused again. I was doing battle with the 3kmile oil changes after I had lengthened my interval to 10kmiles in my 300D. Marshall Booth has been advocating 10kmile intervals with diesel synthetic oil for years before that...and he knows our diesels.

The reason I stopped changing my oil was to make a point that with yearly filter changes and top offs, the engine would probably last forever. Maybe then the 3kmile changers would consider lengthening their interval.

At some point in all the confusion, Brian C said he'd like to see an oil sample of my oil at, say 1 year increments, for data purposes. I agreed but indicated that I wouldn't change my oil even if the results were horrible, because I wanted to see how far it would go with my maintenance procedures. Then, after being banned for the second time from mercedesshop for defending myself, no oil sample kit arrived.

In the meantime, Zedd (or forced induction on mercedesshop) thinks I've driven tons of miles on my 240D, which I had not. I was mostly driving my 300d or my BMW over that period of time. So when he sees my 240D on benzworld's for sale forums, he jumps into action and spams the email account, and eventually gets my ad pulled from craigslist.

And yet despite all this, the car is bought by the first person that sees it, for the full asking price. Later, at least one verifiable person said he couldn't get through to me because of the spamming. As far as I know, he still hasn't found a car nearly as good as mine for twice the price.

And so it goes.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: