LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: "Personal Trolls": What motivates these guys?

That is a really good year. If its a Euro, it might even have a 5.0 motor.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 01:36 PM
guage

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Quote:
kvining - 2/3/2005 3:28 PM

That is a really good year. If its a Euro, it might even have a 5.0 motor.
I have not seen the car or ran the VIN.
He didn't mention Euro, I didn't think too ask
I just figured its a 117 4.5, right?
post #23 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

You can tell its a Euro just by looking at the VIN. If it starts with WDB107 it was built for the European market. I don't know if 73 was the first year for the 450, but I think it is. The first few production runs of the Euro 450s were actually shipped with 5.0 engines. Some of them made it to the US. According to the collector books, finding one is like winning the lottery.

In any case, it has the most HP of just about all the 450s - HP steadily declined over the years in that model.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #24 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The Psychiatric Times has an article by Drs. Mullen and Pahty which catagorizes stalkers into five separate motivations:

REJECTED: The rejected respond to an unwelcome end to a close relationship by actions intended to lead to reconciliation, an extraction of reparation from the victim or both. For the stalker, the behavior maintains some semblance of continued contact and relationship with the victim.

INTIMACY SEEKERS: Intimacy Seekers pursue someone they have little, if any, relationship with, in the mistaken belief that they are loved, or inevitably will be loved, by the victim. The stalking satisfies needs for contact and closeness while feeding fantasies of an eventual loving relationship.

INCOMPETENT: The Incompetent are would-be suitors seeking a partner. Given thier ignorance or indifference to the usual courting rituals, they use methods that are, at best, counterproductive and, at worst, terrifying. The stalking provides an approximation of finding a partner.

RESENTMENT: The resentful respond to a perceived insult or injury by actions aimed not just at revenge but at vindication. The stalking is the act of vengeance.

PREDATOR: The Predatory pursue thier desires for sexual gratification and control. The stalking is a rehearsal for the salker's violent sexual fantasies and a partial satisfaction of voyeuristic and sadistic desires.

The article goes on to conclude that the rejected use the widest range of behaviors, such as following,repeatedly approaching, telephoning, letter-writing and leaving notes. In contrast, the prdatory stalkers concentrate almost exclusively on furtively following and maintaining surveillance. Intimacy seekers are the letter-writers and gift givers. Duration is the longest with the Rejected and Intimacy Seekers and the shortest in the predatory. Psychotic subjects are most likely to send unsolicited materials, and the nonpsychotic to follow and maintain surveillance.

The psychotic and nonpsychotic are equally likely to threaten, but the nonpsychotic are twice as likely to proceed to assault. The rejected are the most likely type to assault and the resentful, although often issuing threats, are the least likely to resort to overt acts of violence.

The report goes on and is fairly interesting. I'll post a link if there is interest. Ultimately, it appears that the practice of posting on a forum, mirrors the behaviors of some of the stalker types. That is not to say that we are stalkers, rather that stalker types will feel at home here. Also, the report seemed to suggest that there can exist multiple stalker types within the same person.

As much as any other factor, the nature of political discussion is one of passion occasionally. In an environment such as this, it is unavoidable that some will take the insults personally.

aborted Shop Forum member

post #25 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Motivation? It's the hair and the cute little wrinkled pug-nose.
post #26 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
kvining - 2/3/2005 1:45 PM

A lot of us have experienced it - for whatever reason, one attracts a "Personal Troll", an Internet stalker who becomes obsessed with a poster, and only puts up posts on the forum that are insults directed at the one person the stalker is obsessed with. What is it with these guys? ...
I had one on another website. Several people noticed it and brought it out in the open. That didn't stop it, it just brought denials. I tried the "ignore" button and an actual overt truce, which he violated later on what he thinks was ample justification.

Whatever.

Over time he has apparently throttled his obsession about me but occasionally it still appears.

Good luck with yours, Kirk. They come in all flavors and varieties. Sometimes they even fail to recognize it in themselves even when other people bring it to their attention.

Know what I mean?

B
post #27 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Kirk, I wouldn't worry about the stalkers.......until you begin to stalk yourself. That may be a conflict you can't win[:D]

aborted Shop Forum member

post #28 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Botnst - 2/3/2005 4:41 PM
I had one on another website. Several people noticed it and brought it out in the open. That didn't stop it, it just brought denials. I tried the "ignore" button and an actual overt truce, which he violated later on what he thinks was ample justification.

Whatever.

Over time he has apparently throttled his obsession about me but occasionally it still appears.

Good luck with yours, Kirk. They come in all flavors and varieties. Sometimes they even fail to recognize it in themselves even when other people bring it to their attention.

Know what I mean?

B
...so it was you what got me banned eh? I tried to keep my obsessive rants down to a manageable level, but apparently you weren't impressed. You're just a big poopyhead, that's all I have to say...
post #29 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Mommy! He called me a poopyhead!
post #30 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 2/3/2005 5:41 PM

Whatever.

Know what I mean?

B
I never saw it, but I wasn't really paying attention either, although I believe I know of what you speak (on the other hand, I could be dead wrong). What I do recall is an extended, odious, unprovoked series of vicious personal attacks against that individual by a certain online pit-bull who shall remain nameless (certainly not you). The only reason it caught my eye is because most of it occured in thead I was actively posting in. I've never been witness to anything like it before or since. It was absolutely shameful.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in