post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: Passat Variant
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to kuan1
(Thread Starter)
Teachers (continuation of tikket's post)

From an email:

New Teacher Survivor Game

Have you heard about the next planned "Survivor" show?

Three businessmen and three businesswomen will be dropped in an elementary school classroom for 6 weeks. Each business person will be provided with a copy of his/her school district's curriculum, and a class of 28 students.

Each class will have five learning-disabled children, three with A.D.D., one gifted child, and two who speak limited English. Three will be labeled with severe behavior problems.

Each businessperson must complete lesson plans at least 3 days in advance with annotations for curriculum objectives and modify, organize, or create materials accordingly.

They will be required to teach students, handle misconduct, implement technology, document attendance, write referrals, correct homework, make bulletin boards, compute grades, complete report cards, document benchmarks, communicate with parents, arrange parent conferences.

They must also supervise recess and monitor the hallways. In addition, they will complete drills for fire, tornadoes, and shooting attacks.

They must attend workshops, (100 hours), faculty meetings, union meetings, and curriculum development meetings.

They must also tutor those students who are behind and strive to get their 2 non-English speaking children proficient enough to take the TAKS test.

If they are sick or having a bad day they must not let it show. Each day they must incorporate reading, writing, math, science, and social studies into the program.

They must maintain discipline and provide an educationally stimulating environment at all times.

The business people will only have access to the golf course on the weekends, but on their new salary they will not be able to afford it anyway.

There will be no access to vendors who want to take them out to lunch, and lunch will be limited to 30 minutes.

On days when they do not have recess duty, the business people will be permitted to use the staff restroom as long as another survival candidate is supervising their class.

They will be provided with two 40-minute planning periods per week while their students are at specials. If the copier is operable, they may make copies of necessary materials at this time.

The business people must continually advance their education on their own time and pay for this advanced training themselves.

This can be accomplished by moonlighting at a second job or marrying someone with money.

The winner will be allowed to return to his or her job.

All hail the Sixteen Men of Tain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 04:29 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

RE: Teachers (continuation of tikket's post)

I'm so tired of the "teachers have it so bad" BS. If it's so hard, do something else. Know why they don't? They can't.

Forum killa

You have been banned for the following reason:
insulting mod

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 08:15 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '04 G35 Coupe 6MT

Damn Koop. That's cold.

'06 E350

'04 Infinity G35 6MT (Traded 4/06)

'97 C 230 (Traded 12/04)

'02 CLK 55 (RIP 8/04)
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 08:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005

it's prolly worth remembering that when we are told that a teacher makes X dollars per year, that it is an abreviated year as compared to the rest of the work force. There are execptions and I don't know how it works in other countries, but by and large the case is as above.

Some of my family members are teachers. They work all year but only teach for part of the year and the other part, at least one of my relatives works in another field.

The combined income plus benefits are substantial.

aborted Shop Forum member

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

I don't think any one profession is worse or better than the next. It seems that the negatives are offset by the amount of money they make or vice versa. I guess if you don't want any hassles you could get yourself a minimum wage job. :) Go wash dishes at a restaurant or something.

The teaching profession is, however, a little different. It's not a regular job like marketing where you're accountable to no one but the almight CEO. This thread shows my point. People like me and you whose only interests are our kids' educations sit around and toss barbs at teachers from the peanut gallery. Is it really fair that we place such personal demands on them we ourselves are unwilling to do what they do?

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 01:05 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

By that rational I couldn't critisize anyone in any job outside of my field. The waiter sucks but since I'm not willing to wait tables I can't critisize.

But I'm not critisizing the job they are doing. It's the constant whining. The annoying "how can we pay professional athletes millions of dollars when our teachers are so poor" crap. Because you can't get 30,000 people to pony up $50 bucks a ticket to watch you teach thats why. Because the guy that can hit .350 and steal 20 bases is a lot rarer than the gal with the 2.5 GPA that decides she wants to be a teacher "because she loves kids"

Forum killa

You have been banned for the following reason:
insulting mod

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

The difference between a teacher and a waiter is that our lives revolve around teachers. They were for those umpteen years we were in school and they will be for those of us who have kids for years to come. We have a personal interest in teachers and the profession in general and yet, when it comes to educating our kids, teachers can never do it well enough.

So let's toss it back and say to ourselves, if we think we know better and that the job can be done for far less money then why don't we all do it ourselves?

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 08:07 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
kuan1 - 2/3/2005 1:57 PM

I don't think any one profession is worse or better than the next. It seems that the negatives are offset by the amount of money they make or vice versa. I guess if you don't want any hassles you could get yourself a minimum wage job. :) Go wash dishes at a restaurant or something.

The teaching profession is, however, a little different. It's not a regular job like marketing where you're accountable to no one but the almight CEO. This thread shows my point. People like me and you whose only interests are our kids' educations sit around and toss barbs at teachers from the peanut gallery. Is it really fair that we place such personal demands on them we ourselves are unwilling to do what they do?
Well put, Kuan. Having done the job for 33 years, I found that most people, because they once went to school, assume that they could do the job easily. Well, it is not easy. Your original post was most accurate. Thanks for posting it.

Joe B.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 08:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004

STOP THE INSANITY! Cap all grade school teachers salaries at 50K. It's just getting ridiculous! Amd, a 50K cap is generous!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 09:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
MRTIKKET - 2/3/2005 10:16 PM

STOP THE INSANITY! Cap all grade school teachers salaries at 50K. It's just getting ridiculous! Amd, a 50K cap is generous!
What an enlightened view! Cap grade school teachers--not overpaid CEOs of failed companies; not maniacally egotistical athletes who have no concept of civility; not bogus politicians who feed at the public trough. It's those elementary teachers who are living high on the hog. Snip their growing sense of self-worth, before they think they can take over the world! Is MRTIKKET Bush's new Sec. of Ed.?

Joe B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in