How do you talk to a Neocon.... - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 04:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: How do you talk to a Neocon....

As I read your post Black Mercedes, what comes to mind is how we all become the sum of our individual experience. I can't fault anyone for that.

I expect that when I spew messages that rub your fur the wrong way, you'll let me have it. Fair enough, I welcome the conversation. I'll try to keep the high road passing lane open[8D]

aborted Shop Forum member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 04:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

As I read your post Black Mercedes, what comes to mind is how we all become the sum of our individual experience. I can't fault anyone for that.

I expect that when I spew messages that rub your fur the wrong way, you'll let me have it. Fair enough, I welcome the conversation. I'll try to keep the high road passing lane open[8D]

post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 04:08 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL

Quote:
blackmercedes - 2/4/2005 10:21 PM

Quote:
azimuth - 2/3/2005 9:03 AM

From experience, the emotional acerbic method usually presents it's point from a position of weakness. The point can be dead on, but the acid delivery taints it's credibility.
Well, I live in a very upper-middle class to quite wealthy suburban neighbourhood. We have an eclectic mix of CEO's and other execs intertwined with some academics, teachers, and a few other left-leaning kinda folks. (We bought before the real estate values bloated uncontrollably. Now I have great home equity, but a rising tax bill too. Nice.) For years, at gatherings, the neo-con greedmeisters would pat each other on the back and loudly espouse the virtures of their right-wing politics. They were very much "in your face" about it on the presumption that everyone feels the same way. Well, we don't. Being the nice, polite folks we were, we said nothing. Then, we engaged a polite debate, only to be greeted with ridicule, fabricated references (Bill O style...) and often behaviour considered beyond rude.

Well, enough. I take the high road every time the lane is clear, but sometimes it's plain blocked. I used to just park it, but not anymore. Now I unleash, and it gets ugly. And personal. Many of our richest neighbours have adult/teen children that are either in prison or on parole. Petty offenses like murder, grand theft, drug trafficking. I enjoy pointing out what top-notch parents and community minded families these folks are. While most of the neo-con middle class neighbours plant their lips firmly on the assholes of the rich assholes, (it's not tough when the entire person is basically a sphincter) I don't want/need a single thing from them, except maybe for them to pack up their criminal offspring and leave.

Years ago I used to travel in their circles, and relied on these Jackasses to earn my living. I had to keep my mouth shut, or face being excluded from the little club. The white-educated-males only little club that took the piece of the pie and then built a fence around the rest.

Did I burn my bridges to industry? Yup. And not a moment too soon.

Mean what you say
Say what you think
Think anything

(terrorist mantra from the Uber-threat Cat Stevens...)

Huge round of applause..best post I've read for ages.
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Huh?

I am not a bum, I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things. My friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? O.k. It was never for easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days sitting on the porch with my family singing and dancing, down in Mississippi.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I've discovered my "special purpose"!!!!!!!!!

I think I need glasses.....what's that all over my palms?

post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 06:21 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Botnst - 2/4/2005 12:35 AM

Huh?

I am not a bum, I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things. My friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? O.k. It was never for easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days sitting on the porch with my family singing and dancing, down in Mississippi.
I get the impression this is meant to be nasty, but doesn't quite make it. Or it's terribly clever satire. What's your point? I think BM's post conveys personal integrity and is admirable. You don't?
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 06:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
jjl - 2/3/2005 8:21 PM

Quote:
Botnst - 2/4/2005 12:35 AM

Huh?

I get the impression this is meant to be nasty, but doesn't quite make it. Or it's terribly clever satire. What's your point? I think BM's post conveys personal integrity and is admirable. You don't?
It's a quote from the opening scene of a Steve Martin movie, "The Jerk." Clearly, having not seen the movie the context and intent are totally alien to you. Believe me when I tell you that no explanation I could offer, or anybody else could offer would help. Try explaining "Life of Brian". Okay, "Life of Brian" displayed the genius of ensemble writers in a satirical gestalt while "Jerk" was one man's peculiar vision. But still, the description is not useful. Is it available in the uncivilized area east of Virginia?
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 06:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
jjl - 2/3/2005 6:08 PM

Quote:
blackmercedes - 2/4/2005 10:21 PM

Quote:

From experience, the emotional acerbic method usually presents it's point from a position of weakness. The point can be dead on, but the acid delivery taints it's credibility.
Well, I live in a very upper-middle class to quite wealthy suburban neighbourhood. We have an eclectic mix of CEO's and other execs intertwined with some academics, teachers, and a few other left-leaning kinda folks. (We bought before the real estate values bloated uncontrollably. Now I have great home equity, but a rising tax bill too. Nice.) For years, at gatherings, the neo-con greedmeisters would pat each other on the back and loudly espouse the virtures of their right-wing politics. They were very much "in your face" about it on the presumption that everyone feels the same way. Well, we don't. Being the nice, polite folks we were, we said nothing. Then, we engaged a polite debate, only to be greeted with ridicule, fabricated references (Bill O style...) and often behaviour considered beyond rude.

Well, enough. I take the high road every time the lane is clear, but sometimes it's plain blocked. I used to just park it, but not anymore. Now I unleash, and it gets ugly. And personal. Many of our richest neighbours have adult/teen children that are either in prison or on parole. Petty offenses like murder, grand theft, drug trafficking. I enjoy pointing out what top-notch parents and community minded families these folks are. While most of the neo-con middle class neighbours plant their lips firmly on the assholes of the rich assholes, (it's not tough when the entire person is basically a sphincter) I don't want/need a single thing from them, except maybe for them to pack up their criminal offspring and leave.

Years ago I used to travel in their circles, and relied on these Jackasses to earn my living. I had to keep my mouth shut, or face being excluded from the little club. The white-educated-males only little club that took the piece of the pie and then built a fence around the rest.

Mean what you say
Say what you think
Think anything

Huge round of applause..best post I've read for ages.
I too applaud. My philosophy (and experience) exactly.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:08 AM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

B., my apologies. I'll make the effort to edumacate myself.

KV., that must have been interesting. Did you go through the thing where you had some kind of bull$hit overload and just bailed out, or was it planned? I'm thinking of taking the same route out of academic research, the horeshit coefficient is reaching bifurcation levels in the layers of parasitic admin & 'management' feeding off we guys doing the work.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:23 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
blackmercedes - 2/3/2005 5:21 PM

Quote:

Mean what you say
Say what you think
Think anything

Such a good post. I sense that the anger I feel toward the sort of mentality you have described is growing among the thinking population. At least, I hope it is. Years ago, William Fulbright wrote a book called THE ARROGANCE OF POWER. Never has that phrase resonated as it does today.

Joe B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in