Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: How do you talk to a Neocon....

Quote:
blackmercedes - 2/3/2005 9:08 AM

Quote:
azimuth - 2/2/2005 2:05 PM

perhaps a little more honey and alot less vinegar
For years I've tried that. Honestly, I'm sick of being yelled and cursed at, all the while taking the "high road." Now I take the low road every now and then, and it's almost fun.
I can see that you are thoughtful in your posts and when engaged specifically, you do practice "higher road" intercourse. I can also see defending one's self, or another, when attacked. I understand that sometimes the level of attack requires bitter defense and one's mood can come into play also. I'm guilty of the low road enough to have been banned from the presence of Mod at the Shop Forum.

From experience, the emotional acerbic method usually presents it's point from a position of weakness. The point can be dead on, but the acid delivery taints it's credibility.

A good example is Al Gore as of late. I believe he has made a fool of himself to point that he is generally dismissed. The other side has Newt Gingrich. He is a thoughtful person with well planned positions, the same as Al, but for a while his delivery was less than careful. Now where is he?

It is a challenge to answer ugliness with high road discussion. It helps me to remember that other folks are reading this too and making judgements as they do. The high road points are usually received with the benefit of the doubt.

Parenthetically, may I add that those who may be reading this forum and not contributing, you are invited to participate....just remember to duck when the heat comes your way [:D]

aborted Shop Forum member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 09:32 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1979 300SD, 1983 300D Mercedes
Send a message via AIM to 79-300SD

Quote:
kvining - 2/2/2005 6:41 PM

You could always use a dope-addled "talk show host" to translate for you - they love to listen to them.
Dan Rather is your guy not ours..............

----------------------------------------

Speed is a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

Proud Owner of a

1979 W116 300SD

1983 W123 300D

Come join us at http://schumanautomotive.com/forums
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 10:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

Quote:
79-300SD - 2/3/2005 11:32 AM

Quote:

You could always use a dope-addled "talk show host" to translate for you - they love to listen to them.
Slipping there 79-300SD - another miss of the white dot creeping slowly across the screen with your electronic paddle! PONG!!!

I understand the dislike of Rather; I too find him to be basically full of BS, but not because he dislikes Bush. I find him too willing to make news instead of just report news. But I have yet to hear he is a druggie, and unless he has switched careers, I don't see him as a talk show host.

Your tactic of changing the subject and pointing a finger, any finger, in another direction, any direction as long as there is a "Liberal" at the other end has lost its entertainment value. Well, for me anyway. You may be easily amused though, and find this repititious barking noise entertaining so I doubt this will be effective. A little logic and reasoning to explain how your response helps liberals get their message across to neo-cons and visa-versa might help us all out.

Jim
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
JimSmith - 2/3/2005 10:08 AM

But I have yet to hear he is a druggie, and unless he has switched careers, I don't see him as a talk show host.

Jim
Not everyone can be Mike Wallace, you know...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 10:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
JimSmith - 2/3/2005 12:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Slipping there 79-300SD - another miss of the white dot creeping slowly across the screen with your electronic paddle! PONG!!!

I understand the dislike of Rather; I too find him to be basically full of BS, but not because he dislikes Bush. I find him too willing to make news instead of just report news. But I have yet to hear he is a druggie, and unless he has switched careers, I don't see him as a talk show host.

Your tactic of changing the subject and pointing a finger, any finger, in another direction, any direction as long as there is a "Liberal" at the other end has lost its entertainment value. Well, for me anyway. You may be easily amused though, and find this repititious barking noise entertaining so I doubt this will be effective. A little logic and reasoning to explain how your response helps liberals get their message across to neo-cons and visa-versa might help us all out.

Jim
He's learned the tactic from right wing radio. Listen to Hannity, Coulter, Limbaugh, they do for hours. It's a tactic for dumb asses.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 11:59 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Jim
Liberal need to just drop their "Liberal" leanings and drop their Stalinist propaganda.........

Most of the population sees them for what they are. Liars who will do anything or say anything to stay in power. Even in the face of proof their mantra is falling of Deaf ears.

Proud Owner of a

1979 W116 300SD

1983 W123 300D

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 12:02 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
kvining - 2/3/2005 12:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Jim
He's learned the tactic from right wing radio. Listen to Hannity, Coulter, Limbaugh, they do for hours. It's a tactic for dumb asses.
If we are Dumbasses then what does that make the liberals who blindly believe the bullshit lies that spout from the DNC and the total lack of direction and morals within the Democratic party.....

The same things that alienate more of the population every year......and help us win ever more elections.

Proud Owner of a

1979 W116 300SD

1983 W123 300D

post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
79-300SD - 2/3/2005 11:59 AM

Liberal need to just drop their "Liberal" leanings and drop their Stalinist propaganda.........

Most of the population sees them for what they are. Liars who will do anything or say anything to stay in power. Even in the face of proof their mantra is falling of Deaf ears.
Do you understand that most of us (that would be people in general) don't live in this "us and them" world at all?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 01:16 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
GermanStar - 2/3/2005 2:04 PM

Quote:
79-300SD - 2/3/2005 11:59 AM

Do you understand that most of us (that would be people in general) don't live in this "us and them" world at all?
Hey he asked what turns off the neocons to the Liberals.........I answered.....

Proud Owner of a

1979 W116 300SD

1983 W123 300D

post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 03:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
azimuth - 2/3/2005 9:03 AM

From experience, the emotional acerbic method usually presents it's point from a position of weakness. The point can be dead on, but the acid delivery taints it's credibility.
Well, I live in a very upper-middle class to quite wealthy suburban neighbourhood. We have an eclectic mix of CEO's and other execs intertwined with some academics, teachers, and a few other left-leaning kinda folks. (We bought before the real estate values bloated uncontrollably. Now I have great home equity, but a rising tax bill too. Nice.) For years, at gatherings, the neo-con greedmeisters would pat each other on the back and loudly espouse the virtures of their right-wing politics. They were very much "in your face" about it on the presumption that everyone feels the same way. Well, we don't. Being the nice, polite folks we were, we said nothing. Then, we engaged a polite debate, only to be greeted with ridicule, fabricated references (Bill O style...) and often behaviour considered beyond rude.

Well, enough. I take the high road every time the lane is clear, but sometimes it's plain blocked. I used to just park it, but not anymore. Now I unleash, and it gets ugly. And personal. Many of our richest neighbours have adult/teen children that are either in prison or on parole. Petty offenses like murder, grand theft, drug trafficking. I enjoy pointing out what top-notch parents and community minded families these folks are. While most of the neo-con middle class neighbours plant their lips firmly on the assholes of the rich assholes, (it's not tough when the entire person is basically a sphincter) I don't want/need a single thing from them, except maybe for them to pack up their criminal offspring and leave.

Years ago I used to travel in their circles, and relied on these Jackasses to earn my living. I had to keep my mouth shut, or face being excluded from the little club. The white-educated-males only little club that took the piece of the pie and then built a fence around the rest.

Did I burn my bridges to industry? Yup. And not a moment too soon.

Mean what you say
Say what you think
Think anything

(terrorist mantra from the Uber-threat Cat Stevens...)

I'm really trying to see things from your perspective, but I'm having trouble getting my head up my ass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in