First Amendment No Big Deal, Students Say - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 02:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: First Amendment No Big Deal, Students Say

Okay KV, thanks for the link. I took action and e-mailed my senator and congressman. I had to change the ACLU's standard E-mail subject matter a little though.

aborted Shop Forum member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 06:36 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004

Quote:
azimuth - 2/1/2005 1:01 PM

i'd bet my left labichi that these kids have spent more time in the class room where constitutional values should be taught than in front of Fox News. If there is a lack of appreciation of the freedoms of this nation it falls at the feet of the educators who are charged with the dissemination of truth and fact.

Why have the parents not also taught them the value of freedom?
What a giant load of bullshit. In my town, our school cirriculum used to include a heavy section on "social action" that began in grade one and continued through to graduation. Kids were expected to learn about the democratic process, the rights of minorities and were to find a flaw in the system and take action to right it. Guess what? The neo-cons replaced the social-action portion with "citizenship" material where they are taught to shut the fuck up and do whatever authority tells them to do. Teachers hate it, but if you don't do it, you get fired.

Well, no matter what happens at school, my kids won't learn that garbage. People that trust the school system to provide all the education and value set for their children are stupid. The kids are there for 5-5 1/2 hours a day for 180-200 days of the year. It's one point of view and one source. People expect nannies to raise their kids until school age and then want the school system to take over from there. Then we cut school funding and beat the crap out of the system, and then blame it for our own stupidity.

If kids are stupid it's parent's fault. Period.

I'm really trying to see things from your perspective, but I'm having trouble getting my head up my ass
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 12:14 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 99 E 320
Send a message via AIM to BackRoll23 Send a message via MSN to BackRoll23 Send a message via Yahoo to BackRoll23

Lets see some of these kids get drafted for a war they don't believe in, then they'll change their tune.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 12:35 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 1979 300SD, 1983 300D Mercedes
Send a message via AIM to 79-300SD

Why are you surprised.....most of the liberals think the second amendment isn't all that important either.

Whats the difference.

----------------------------------------

Speed is a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

Proud Owner of a

1979 W116 300SD

1983 W123 300D

Come join us at http://schumanautomotive.com/forums
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 12:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
BackRoll23 - 2/2/2005 2:14 PM

Lets see some of these kids get drafted for a war they don't believe in, then they'll change their tune.
What he said.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 02:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
blackmercedes - 2/2/2005 8:36 AM

Quote:
azimuth - 2/1/2005 1:01 PM

i'd bet my left labichi that these kids have spent more time in the class room where constitutional values should be taught than in front of Fox News. If there is a lack of appreciation of the freedoms of this nation it falls at the feet of the educators who are charged with the dissemination of truth and fact.

Why have the parents not also taught them the value of freedom?
What a giant load of bullshit. In my town, our school cirriculum used to include a heavy section on "social action" that began in grade one and continued through to graduation. Kids were expected to learn about the democratic process, the rights of minorities and were to find a flaw in the system and take action to right it. Guess what? The neo-cons replaced the social-action portion with "citizenship" material where they are taught to shut the fuck up and do whatever authority tells them to do. Teachers hate it, but if you don't do it, you get fired.

Well, no matter what happens at school, my kids won't learn that garbage. People that trust the school system to provide all the education and value set for their children are stupid. The kids are there for 5-5 1/2 hours a day for 180-200 days of the year. It's one point of view and one source. People expect nannies to raise their kids until school age and then want the school system to take over from there. Then we cut school funding and beat the crap out of the system, and then blame it for our own stupidity.

If kids are stupid it's parent's fault. Period.
I see you gave my post a crude label yet, I don't see where we differ.

The condensed version of my point: I'll bet most of those kids spend more time in the classroom than in front of Foxs news. Is that an unreasonable estimation?

Point two: Where are the parent's values relative to thier children who apparently have failed to see the value of freedom? You made that very point.....after I did.

Frankly, I don't see the excrement. Is it that an uncontrolable urge to type crudities overwhelmed you?

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 05:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

Buried in your post is this...

If there is a lack of appreciation of the freedoms of this nation it falls at the feet of the educators who are charged with the dissemination of truth and fact.

Blaming teachers. That's the bullshit. "Educators" are but one small influence in a child/youths life. Your post places the blame on teachers, and then contradicts itself by later blaming parents. Smells like it to me...

I'm really trying to see things from your perspective, but I'm having trouble getting my head up my ass
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 07:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
blackmercedes - 2/2/2005 7:32 PM

Buried in your post is this...

If there is a lack of appreciation of the freedoms of this nation it falls at the feet of the educators who are charged with the dissemination of truth and fact.

Blaming teachers. That's the bullshit. "Educators" are but one small influence in a child/youths life. Your post places the blame on teachers, and then contradicts itself by later blaming parents. Smells like it to me...
Fair enough, on whom does the responsibility fall? The govt.? the govt teaches through school curriculum mandates. The parents? we've discussed that and appear to agree. Who else? Educators are more than the actual teachers. The teachers are where the rubber meets the road. They don't have decision making power beyond the realm of the individual class. So, whom do we blame?

If these children are not being taught and there are people charged with thier education. Wouldn't it make sense that we look at that avenue first? Who has the power to decide what is taught in the schools and what is his/her title? I'm willing to bet that education lies somewhere within that title.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 08:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Not sure how it works in your parts, but here the Provincial gov't sets the cirriculum. Over the years they have run with the moronic neo-con "back to basics" garbage that has eliminated "frills" like social action, creative thinking, music, phys ed, and so on. Instead of pulling history apart, back-to-basics is about dates and names. Social Action is replaced with Citizenship, meaning you learn not to complain. The barely-elected dictator is always right. And they're shown the result. Dare to protest and we'll gas and beat you right before arresting you and holding you without cause.

It's called a "return to traditional values" and other things to make you think we're returning to the loving 1950's.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 08:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
blackmercedes - 2/2/2005 10:31 PM

Not sure how it works in your parts, but here the Provincial gov't sets the cirriculum. Over the years they have run with the moronic neo-con "back to basics" garbage that has eliminated "frills" like social action, creative thinking, music, phys ed, and so on. Instead of pulling history apart, back-to-basics is about dates and names. Social Action is replaced with Citizenship, meaning you learn not to complain. The barely-elected dictator is always right. And they're shown the result. Dare to protest and we'll gas and beat you right before arresting you and holding you without cause.

It's called a "return to traditional values" and other things to make you think we're returning to the loving 1950's.
If you don't mind my asking, where are your parts? What was taught in social action? Did they really eliminate all music teaching? All phys ed? Do they really teach the children not to complain in citizenship? Who is the barely educated dictator that is always right? Have they actually or threatened to gas and beat the children if they protest?

If these things are truely happening then you/they have a federal case.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in