More right wing media figures on government payroll - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 04:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
RE: More right wing media figures on government payroll

Quote:
79-300SD - 2/3/2005 1:46 PM

Quote:
JimSmith - 2/3/2005 12:02 PM

I was beginning to find reading a VADude/Boneheaddoctor/whatever persona post to be more thoughtful, almost not like an early computer game anymore, and then, PONG!PONG!PONG!!! Please don't tell me we're back to the "Johnny gets to do stupid things so I should too" arguments.

If you think PBS and the arrangement discussed here are really the same thing, please show your logic. Thanks, Jim
Its simple...........even a liberal can understand it.

PBS and its sibling NPR are funded heavily through matching government funds......I.E. MY tax dollars....NPR is a VERY, VERY, VERY liberal group.

Funny how liberals see nothing wrong with funding their liberal programs but get their bowels in an uproar when a single dollar goes towards a conservative program.
VD,
You are missing the whole point of this thread. It has nothing to do with your tax dollars being spent on any particular organization with a particular political slant out in bright sunlight where all can see what is happening. It is all about the government spending tax dollars to dupe you. PBS and NPR are what they are, and they do not seek to present themselves as something else. This thread is about private people representing themselves as independent news reporters who are reporting the news, while they are being paid on the side as part of a public relations strategy to represent a particular political party "mantra" (to use one of your words that would seem to apply here) as factual news. It is not the federal dollars that are being questioned, it is the intent to defraud the public. There is a difference, if you care to look. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Weren't both of those guys paid to help him write the speech ?

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #23 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
GermanStar - 2/3/2005 9:39 AM
The best protection we have as a republic is to vote these ne'er do wells out of office. As the last election bears testament to, this doesn't always work...
Good grief, Germanstar.

Think about what you said. The majority of voters agreed to support somebody you didn't support. I take that to mean you support democracy as long as it works in your favor. Are you sure you want to say that the system didn't work because your side didn't win?

Heck, I never said anything like that when Ronald Reagan or Bill Clinton won the first time. My side lost both times, but democracy won. That's much more important than which particular politician gets the brass ring.

Bot
post #24 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Hyperbole rears it's ugly head yet again...

I think what GS is saying is that one of the few means citizens have at their disposal is to protect ourselves from creeping fascism by voting collectively to keep it from reaching powah. In this case, it didn't quite work, and evil won a free pass. Some folks don't quite recognize our old nemesis cuz of the emperor's new clothes, some do.
post #25 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 2/3/2005 5:50 PM

Good grief, Germanstar.

Think about what you said. The majority of voters agreed to support somebody you didn't support. I take that to mean you support democracy as long as it works in your favor. Are you sure you want to say that the system didn't work because your side didn't win?

Heck, I never said anything like that when Ronald Reagan or Bill Clinton won the first time. My side lost both times, but democracy won. That's much more important than which particular politician gets the brass ring.

Bot
You're reading too much into it. I meant exactly what I said -- the system doesn't always work. Not surprising, since no system always works...

What Z said -- that's what I said...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #26 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 2/3/2005 8:01 PM

Hyperbole rears it's ugly head yet again...

I think what GS is saying is that one of the few means citizens have at their disposal is to protect ourselves from creeping fascism by voting collectively to keep it from reaching powah. In this case, it didn't quite work, and evil won a free pass. Some folks don't quite recognize our old nemesis cuz of the emperor's new clothes, some do.
The confirmation hearings proved that. Look who gets promoted into the top jobs - a Secretary of State who lied thru her teeth and covered up her incompentance, an Attorney General who would be better referred to as the Atrocity General, a Defense Secretary who presided over the biggest act of agression since Hitler - and nary a peep out of corporate sponsored "elected representatives". They just waltz into power, and nobody knows the better. The America we once knew is slipping into Nazism.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #27 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 06:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
phaedrus_242 - 2/3/2005 5:35 PM

Don't ya just love arguements based on generalizations and stereotypes?
Characteristics equally dispersed among the archetypes.
post #28 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 06:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
GermanStar - 2/3/2005 8:11 PM

Quote:
Botnst - 2/3/2005 5:50 PM

Good grief, Germanstar.

Bot
You're reading too much into it. I meant exactly what I said -- the system doesn't always work. Not surprising, since no system always works...

What Z said -- that's what I said...
No, I read exactly what it said. Democracy always works or it is not democracy. To decry its result when it conflicts with one's desired outcome is exactly antidemocratic.
post #29 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 06:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 2/3/2005 8:47 PM
No, I read exactly what it said. Democracy always works or it is not democracy. To decry its result when it conflicts with one's desired outcome is exactly antidemocratic.
I guess many of us would disagree with you on that one. Once the election is over, it is over, until the next one. But that does not mean you can no longer register your displeasure with the results, or continue to oppose what you feel are misguided policies. When did democracy mean you have to shut up and learn to grin and bear it if the other team wins? Jim
post #30 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 2/3/2005 6:47 PM

Hey, I'm not bitching about the outcome of the election, just making an unemotional observation. I put that puppy pretty much to bed on or about Nov 3. You say democracy always works, and I'm saying that nothing always works. I guess it depends on what you mean by "works". You seem to mean that the more popular candidate always takes office. I'm saying that the system has failed on some level if the electorate chooses to retain malevolence.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in