post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'Israel may act first' -- Cheney

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Vice President Dick Cheney said on Thursday that Iran was at the top of the administration's list of world trouble spots and expressed concern that Israel "might well decide to act first" to eliminate any nuclear threat from Tehran.

"You look around the world at potential trouble spots, Iran is right at the top of the list," Cheney said in an interview aired on MSNBC on the day that George W. Bush was sworn in for a second four-year term as president.

Cheney, one of the chief architects of the Iraq war, said the administration would continue to try to use diplomacy to address what he said were serious concerns about Iran's nuclear weapons program and ties to terrorism.

The administration has also accused Iran of interfering in the affairs of neighboring Iraq, where U.S. forces have been bogged down in a ferocious insurgency since the 2003 invasion.

If Iran resists demands to rein in its nuclear program, Cheney said the next step would be to take the matter to the U.N. Security Council and seek international sanctions "to force them to live up to the commitments and obligations."

Cheney described Iran's nuclear program as "fairly robust." Iran denies its nuclear facilities are to be used to make weapons. Cheney, who was a leading advocate for the Iraq invasion, said one concern was that Israel might act against the Iranians "without being asked."

"If, in fact, the Israelis became convinced the Iranians had significant nuclear capability, given the fact that Iran has a stated policy that their objective is the destruction of Israel, the Israelis might well decide to act first, and let the rest of the world worry about cleaning up the diplomatic mess afterwards," Cheney said.

Israel set a precedent for such action in 1981 when it sent warplanes to destroy Iraq's French-built Osiraq reactor, seen as the key to President Saddam Hussein's nuclear ambitions.

"We don't want a war in the Middle East, if we can avoid it. And certainly in the case of the Iranian situation, I think everybody would be best suited by or best treated and dealt with if we could deal with it diplomatically," Cheney said.

Like Cheney, Bush has stressed the importance of diplomacy in dealing with Iran, but said this week, "I will never take any option off the table."

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:15 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: 'Israel may act first' -- Cheney

"We don't want a war in the Middle East, if we can avoid it." Cheney said.

Uhhhhhh.....?
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

I am having a hard time connecting dots here. I heard the interview and it seemed clear to me and as a matter of fact, I have come to that same conclusion and mentioned a couple times on another board that once allowed political discourse--and flames.

Anyway, what's the BFD? Is this a staggeringly insightful revelation? Is it an implication of cabalistic machinations in Tel Aviv and Crawford?? My foil must be too tight, I'm not getting a reading.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

Well, given the present administration's predisposition to believe "diplomacy" is a code word for "UN sissy approach to problem solving with smaller, thorn in the side countries" and the present administration's phenomenal lack of skill in that department, it sounds like Cheney is just letting us know how the next phase of war in the Middle East will start. Which is pretty damn scary. Jim
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:12 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What board was that?

Looks like semaphore with 100ft flags to me. Hey Iran, watchyerass.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Gettin your political fix here?

The BFD would be that the second in command of the most powerful aggressor in the world has begun the drumbeat for an expansion of aggression in the ME. No big secret at work here...
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

One thing the American press doesn't report is that the Iraqi street-slang for the American occupation troops is "The Jews". A nuclear attack by Israel will simply solidify the Muslim world's perception of us as being one and the same as being correct. What Cheney fails to mention is that the entire basketcase Israeli economy is based on US aid. As usual, the Fox-fed American public is totally unaware of that fact and will believe the Israeli attack to be unilateral, something Botnst seems to have already bought. Meanwhile, the rest of the world which actually has a free press, will know the truth: the Israelis don't make a move without our OK. If they attack Iran, it will only be on our say so. My belief is that this will cause friendly Muslim governments to collapse across the planet, most notably Pakistan, which will then trigger a wider nuclear war. My guess is Pakistan is helping Iran nuclearize as fast as possible anyways - they are big allies.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

did anybody watch or see any of the inauguration festivities??? besides the scary speeches the whole thing looked pretty scary...it definitely conjured up images of the 1930s... the militaristic overtones were just a bit much for me.. this is for the people --- at a distance please... wtf??? seemed there were more cops/soldiers then spectators in most areas of the parade route.. most of the on lookers were not cheering and in fact i saw quite a few flag draped coffins, impeach bush signs, and a few way out there ala left bhd if there ever would be such an animal... [:D] an orange got thrown at the motorcade too.. [8D]

btw. iran is definately next... THESE GUYS WILL RUIN THIS GREAT COUNTRY!!!!

in political asylum
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Welcome to Amerika. Overblown security threat. Whodda thunk?

This is the new show in town. Everything is going to be about fear. I like to note how Fox News swings with the Republican Agenda. Fox's ad nauseum message is now Fear Fear Fear. Bush puts on a big Fear Inaugural. Fox then trumps up every terrorist rumor as a fact. The Amerikan public cowers. Welcome to The New Fascist State.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in