post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '04 C 320, '07 SLK 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Warning before Banning.

I must agree that a warning should be given before banning a member of any board. For example, I am a member of a board whose subject is luxury cruising. But they have an Off Topic sub-board. I had not seen any rule against political posts, so I made one. There were replies. Then, the Chief Moderator deleted the whole thread, and gave the explanation that political or religious discussion would not be allowed on that board. Nobody was banned, however. That was fine with me. I don't OWN the board, and am happy to comply with the rules. The MBCA board has a rule against political discussion, which I and all others obey, and that's fine.

Sometimes, it is difficult to know how the rules apply to a given situation, and sometimes rules change! So a deletion and a warning is IMO always a step that should be taken before banning anyone.

Thanks,
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 11:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
RE: Warning before Banning.

Richard,

That makes a lot of sense. In our case at hand, I think the moderator was successfully manipulated by a group, over a period of time. Moderating is not an easy task if you take it seriously. I am sure engatwork takes it seriously. In this instance either KV was baited or, by his predictable "raise you a thousand percent of in-your-face attitude" that included using the politically incorrect diction others used, but not as predictably, he cooperated with his set up to be banned.

But you are correct, a private warning to KV and a public admonition on the subject of using words from the lexicon of politically incorrect "cusses" (which should be explicitly identified, as the recent disclosure that "god damned" would get you banned is a new one to me) should have been tried. Not that it would have worked, but it should have been tried to make actions taken seem less like taking sides or censorship to even the field for those less willing to thoroughly document and defend their positions.

But that is just my opinion. Jim
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 02:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
dolebludger - 1/17/2005 1:15 PM

I must agree that a warning should be given before banning a member of any board. For example, I am a member of a board whose subject is luxury cruising. But they have an Off Topic sub-board. I had not seen any rule against political posts, so I made one. There were replies. Then, the Chief Moderator deleted the whole thread, and gave the explanation that political or religious discussion would not be allowed on that board. Nobody was banned, however. That was fine with me. I don't OWN the board, and am happy to comply with the rules. The MBCA board has a rule against political discussion, which I and all others obey, and that's fine.

Sometimes, it is difficult to know how the rules apply to a given situation, and sometimes rules change! So a deletion and a warning is IMO always a step that should be taken before banning anyone.

Thanks,
Richard
That has been my experience as well. That is why I think this looks like someone looking for excuse and opportunity, and quite frankly took me by surprise. A few days before that, Bonehead had posted a number of things advocating violence against liberals. In the four other forums I belong to, the thread would have been deleted and admonished - instead it grew into a whole group of people looking for a fist fight. The message seems to me you can advocate killing and violence, even of other forum members, but don't tell another forum member off if he insinuates you are a traitor. To use the car analogy, the driver of the car allows the passengers to threaten each other with knives, but the first one that goes potty mouth gets tossed from a moving car.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 03:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

I agree with you guys, and it's too bad it didn't happen. The unfortunate thing is that the Mod catches the flack.

Jim, I think you give way to much credit to conspiracy. I don't think those guys cared enough about KV to set about trapping him. I imagine some of them may PM each other and discuss a plan of attack or some other childishness. I have often supected that kind of thing when some response seems especially well-timed. But it sure as heck isn't limited to one or two groups. Rather, I think it's fluid and situational. Some moment or choice of phrase gets somebody's goat and they PM their buddies.

I don't do that.

But so what? I have never heard of rules against cabals. It would be just another silly thing for people to figure out how to circumvent and make accusations and get in a huff over.

The best possible solution would be for everybody to tone-down their offense-o-meters and take a deep breath and think about how their post will be interpreted by their readers. Why post to offend folks? Some people do it and I think it sucks.

The most fun offer I've heard was MedMech offering to Moderate OD. Can you just imagine how strange a world Med would create? I suspect that each of us would bring with us some baggage if we were to moderate OD. I think it's a fairly safe bet that we would all screw-up now and then and irritate lots of folks. Oh well. This too shall pass.

As John Prine sang in his song, "You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't."
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 1/17/2005 3:11 PM

The best possible solution would be for everybody to tone-down their offense-o-meters and take a deep breath and think about how their post will be interpreted by their readers. Why post to offend folks? Some people do it and I think it sucks.
In the same light, if you see such a post, don't give the author the satisfaction of a response. If a post is intended to offend, the only way to win is to ignore it.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 09:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

no Ron, I believe it is to nuke'em..yaaah, that's the ticket... [:D][:D]

in political asylum
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Get a little blood on the screen, eh? [}:)] [;)]

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 09:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

no. glowing dust though... [:D] it's sooo kool.... [8D]

in political asylum
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

[:D] [:D]

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 09:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
GermanStar - 1/17/2005 11:14 PM

Get a little blood on the screen, eh? [}:)] [;)]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in