Churches should pay taxes - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 08:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C 111 Nardo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Was not tiggerfink's post about unfair competitive advantage and loss of revenue for the US Gov?

Quote:
tiggerfink - 11/28/2004 2:23 PM
Wife and I was looking at several gyms to join and was amazed on what churches offer. Several churches have bowling allies, indoor/outdoor tennis courts, indoor/outdoor swimming pools, and etc.

To me it is not fair for the local businesses to compete with churches because the churches are tax exempt.
All posts were interesting, but I thought tiggerfink's initial was really a nailer!
Should chuches provide cheap (free?) services like bowling, tennis, and swimming under the disguise of such activities deemed as being helpfull on a spiritual level, as in good for your soul and of redeeming value?
Assuming that bowling plays an important part in your salvation/redemption (although, according to rumors, Christ's sacrifice was necessary and sufficient), bowling alleys should change status, affiliate with First Baptist of Centerville or Second LDS of NoWhereNearHere, and re-incorporate as church like tax-exempt entities.
Short of this happening, the local alleys are at an unfair competitive disadvantage, and the US governement is losing revenue from all good church going people who bowl in the sanctuary (tax-exempt BUSINESS) instead of patronizing the bowling alley (fully taxable).
This is, in turn, probably why we have to pay more taxes, all that lost revenue...

I feel so miserable without you; its almost like having you here.
-- Stephen Bishop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 08:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
RE: Churches should pay taxes

If you were taxed at zero percent, would you complain that churches are undertaxed?

At what rate of taxation on yourself would you accept differentials in rates to other entities?

Let me explain.

Irritation at taxation rates for churches is less due to their being undertaxed than it is that you are overtaxed.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 10:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C 111 Nardo
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
RE: If you were taxed at zero percent, would you complain that churches are undertaxed?

Quote:
Botnst - 12/6/2004 9:48 PM

If you were taxed at zero percent, would you complain that churches are undertaxed?

At what rate of taxation on yourself would you accept differentials in rates to other entities?

Let me explain.

Irritation at taxation rates for churches is less due to their being undertaxed than it is that you are overtaxed.
If I were taxed at 0%, I would not complain that churches are undertaxed. I'd avoid bringing attention to myself, hoping to stay under the I.R.S.'s radar !

My rate of taxation has nothing to do with my lack of understanding of why bowling at a place of worship should generate tax-free income to the church while the next door bowling alley provides the same service but is taxed. If bowling were an integral part of salvation, I would have no objection.
Come to think of it, boozing up helps with forgiveness, and bars are taxed too, while the "opium of the people" is not, yet another unfair competitive advantage (antitrust violation?)

I feel so miserable without you; its almost like having you here.
-- Stephen Bishop
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 04:22 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1982 300SD
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Churches should pay taxes

Wow, what a topic! So many ways to view it. I generally agree that churches should not be taxed. They are a benefit to society, generally.
I positively, ( and righteously) hate the scam artists, bilking widows of their money. They will reap the whirlwind! The Scriptures teach that taking care of widows and orphans is a sign of true churches.
However, if Christians truly believe their message--that salvation is exclusively thru Christ, alone, ( I am the Way, etc) they have an obligation to evangelise unbelievers--while respecting that all people are free moral agents. In previous generations the unevangelised were acrthe oceans so the church sent missionaries. At this time, some of the largest unevagelised groups are right here among us. So ,I can see offering some services and attractions to create the interest on the part of those "outsiders". However, I also appreciate the problem of unfair competition with tax paying merchants.
The other issue I have is that the Scriptures never speak of bringing people to "the church" to be evangelized. That is the job of each Christian--simply people talking to people, explaining the need and means of salvation. Not thru coercion. The idea of bringing people to "the church" where professionals speak with them is foreign to the Bible. Christians are to be in the world; not sequestered/ insulated from it. "Salt"in a box on the shelf, but shaken out and used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in