post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: '05 330i ZHP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Missing the Point

Ok, guys, these political discussions are getting a bit pointless. Just assume for one moment that you think the 51% of people who voted for Bush are stupid. Now, think to yourself, if people are so stupid that they vote Bush, they are probably also too stupid to be engaged in a political discussion. Conversely, if you are a republican, and you think the democrats should shut up and go home, why are you still arguing? It takes two to argue, so if you leave them they will shut up. Now, if you are a troll, you are lucky, because instead of ignoring you like they should, people continue arguing, even though they have already dubbed you a troll or an idiot.
Why don't we just respect other people's views, even though we may disagree, because we have been arguing here for months to little avail. So, if you genuinly think you are smarter than someone(even though you may not be), don't bother arguing with them if they still behave like little children. If someone challenges you, don't bow down to the level of a 4-year old like them, simply ignore them, and they will get bored and leave. Every time you call someone stupid, you are proving you own stupidity by dissing them, insead of helping them get smarter, or simply ignoring them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 07:01 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Missing the Point

Quote:
E V12 Nerd - 11/7/2004 8:11 PM

Ok, guys, these political discussions are getting a bit pointless. Just assume for one moment that you think the 51% of people who voted for Bush are stupid. Now, think to yourself, if people are so stupid that they vote Bush, they are probably also too stupid to be engaged in a political discussion. Conversely, if you are a republican, and you think the democrats should shut up and go home, why are you still arguing? It takes two to argue, so if you leave them they will shut up. Now, if you are a troll, you are lucky, because instead of ignoring you like they should, people continue arguing, even though they have already dubbed you a troll or an idiot.
Why don't we just respect other people's views, even though we may disagree, because we have been arguing here for months to little avail. So, if you genuinly think you are smarter than someone(even though you may not be), don't bother arguing with them if they still behave like little children. If someone challenges you, don't bow down to the level of a 4-year old like them, simply ignore them, and they will get bored and leave. Every time you call someone stupid, you are proving you own stupidity by dissing them, insead of helping them get smarter, or simply ignoring them.
Yes - ditto - bump
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 07:34 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '84 SD

I'll give this thread a big "TTT".

[^]
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 07:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 79 300SD, 80 300TD

Quote:
Ok, guys, these political discussions are getting a bit pointless......

......Why don't we just respect other people's views, even though we may disagree, because we have been arguing here for months to little avail.
OK, first of all, there's a BIG difference between "debating" and "arguing". Some people get it, some people don't, and it's usually obvious.

You're right about one thing: Arguing is pointless.

BUT.....

Debate is never pointless.

It inspires thought. It inspires a quest for knowledge. It inspires one to research and verify and support one's own position on issues. It inspires action.

Look at the record-breaking voter turnout for this latest election....Many people are now paying attention to what is going on around them, and are now voting, thanks in large part to people just like us here, who engage in the "months of pointless debate" that you now condemn.

Besides that, there's the most important aspect of it.....It's FUN!

Mike

Yes, I'm STILL an insensitive Libertarian jerk.

1979 300SD
1980 300TD
1982 300D

"......I told you so......"

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 08:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

Quote:
mikemover-the sequel - 11/8/2004 8:48 AM

Quote:

......Why don't we just respect other people's views, even though we may disagree, because we have been arguing here for months to little avail.
OK, first of all, there's a BIG difference between "debating" and "arguing". Some people get it, some people don't, and it's usually obvious.

BUT.....

It inspires thought. It inspires a quest for knowledge. It inspires one to research and verify and support one's own position on issues. It inspires action.

Look at the record-breaking voter turnout for this latest election....Many people are now paying attention to what is going on around them, and are now voting, thanks in large part to people just like us here, who engage in the "months of pointless debate" that you now condemn.

Mike
That's a very coherent response. It's too bad folks cannot stick with the issues and treat each other with respect.

OBK #35

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 08:55 AM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL

It's simple. Treat people with respect, but treat their ideas with the utmost disrespect.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: '05 330i ZHP
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
mikemover-the sequel - 11/8/2004 7:48 AM

Quote:

BUT.....

Mike
I agree that educated debate is fun, but in this case, it does not seem to inspire too much thought.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 12:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

Quote:
mikemover-the sequel - 11/8/2004 10:48 AM

Quote:

BUT.....

Mike
Funny, you say this, but I have NEVER seen you 'debate' anybody without getting ugly at some point. In fact many of the old posts you started at MBshop weren't very civil top begin with.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 12:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

So is it possible?

Is it possible for everybody to agree to act civil? And still talk politics?

Who can say they will? Who won't?

And who will get ugly first the next time? LOL
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 12:25 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 79 300SD, 80 300TD

Quote:
lovemyc280 - 11/9/2004 3:02 AM

Funny, you say this, but I have NEVER seen you 'debate' anybody without getting ugly at some point. In fact many of the old posts you started at MBshop weren't very civil top begin with.
Wrong.

If the open forum over at MBshop is reinstated (there is talk of this lately), then do a search on my username there (mikemover). Of the 3,000+ posts I have made over there, see if you can find just ONE example of ME being the first to start name-calling or personally insulting someone.

I dare you.

Go all the way back if you want....I think I became a member around mid-2001....

Good luck.

You will not find such a thing, because it has never happened.

I might get heated, I might get loud, I might ramble on or shout....But I do not direct insults at the PERSON I'm debating with.

In a debate, as soon as someone resorts to name-calling I know that they are out of ammunition, and I have won. Game over. Such behavior immediately undermines one's argument.

You are barking up the wrong tree.

Mike

Yes, I'm STILL an insensitive Libertarian jerk.

1979 300SD
1980 300TD
1982 300D

"......I told you so......"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.