KVinning stands ..............alone - Page 8 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 02:42 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
RE: KVinning stands ..............alone

I agree that the democrats need to move closer to the middle of the average american thoughtwave. Getting a little done is always better than getting nothing at all. Being too extreme never helps in politics where majority rules.

But one question.

Do you think the fairly recent (last 50 years) ability for more americans to attain information has given them a bigger voice in the political landscape? And from that voice could we be getting less informed points of view?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 03:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I hate to sound conspiratorial, but I think what has actually happened is that psy-ops mass media techniques developed during the Cold War have been adopted by the Republican Party. These principles can apply to any type of media channel, and the Republican Ministry of Propaganda lead by Rush and Murdoch have successfully applied them. Orwell foresaw this world, with Winston's little TV screen, and the Repubs have turned that little AM car radio and cable news into the same thing, a little box that bombards us with a repetitive message that one side is always bad and the other side, the government, is always good. The Internet is the key to it for them, it keeps all the "talk show hosts" and cable "talking heads" superbly organized and on message 24/7, where they are all talking about one subject as they peddle one villian "liberals" the new word for "nigger" or Hitler's "kike" or Orwells "Goldstein". Its the same thing they did with Radio Free Europe. The same message beamed to Cuba was going to Czechoslovakia, and they used the ARPNET, military fore runner of the Net, to do the same exact thing.
Its quite simple, really - you take the main issue of the day, you come up with a spun or false explanation that blames the opposition for whatever the problem is, and then you make sure 1,000 AM radio fascists, TV talking heads, right wing newspapers and web sites are all talking about the exact same issue at the exact same time giving the exact same explanation. Look how well it works. Ask the average person why healthcare costs have risen, and they will say "trial lawyers" when the real facts are that obscene profits and price hikes by drug companies make lawsuits look like a pittance. There is a real question of whether we have greater free speech or mass hypnosis as is used in totalitarian states. The War in Iraq is this methodologies greatest achievement. Even today large percentages of people believe Saddam was directly responsible.
post #73 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 03:40 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well said. I've often thought, however, that in this respect people get what they deserve. There is no excuse today to not be educated and informed, so the burden of blame lies on the duped as much as the duper.
post #74 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 03:54 PM
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)

What is funny is that people like you and I are the quacks to the majority of the populace. We see through the charade. Therefore we are dangerous to the status quo.

I am not one for conspiracy theories. Too many variables. I chalk all this up to the recent "OK'NESS" of greed. The republicans scream it is OK to be greedy 24/7, 360. This must change. Greed is a big enough motivator on its own without the help of an institution.

You do get the gov't you deserve.
post #75 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 03:58 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '84 SD

So, who do we trust and believe? "Other" sources are all about as shady and "alarmist" across the board.
Like I mentioned earlier concerning whether or not my vote has been swayed by all the "discussions" on these forums, all I've gotten is more distrustful and synical of anybody, regardless of political lean. Seems anybody can dig up "facts" to back up whatever side of the arguement they want, and make it look damn convincing.
I think Orwell has won.
post #76 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 04:10 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

I have no strong political lean -- I just don't like spilling buckets of blood. Because of that I've been labeled a liberal and a Democrat on these very discussion forums. Nothing could be further from the truth. Philosophically, I'm more aligned as a libertarian than many folks who claim that title. The bottom line is - don't believe any of it -- trust your intuition.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #77 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 04:12 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL

But many things are counter-intuitive. Is the earth flat? Are there WMD's?
post #78 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 04:19 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '84 SD

And is Scott Peterson guilty?!?!

Oh the horror![:0]
post #79 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 04:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I don't know man. I'd like to think I search for some kind of truth, I think we all do. I know what I started doing - I no longer take what I hear from any media source as truth on first blush. We can be either cynical or skeptical. A cynic is a skeptic who's given up. I think the wire services that directly report the news are pretty trustworthy, its what happens to it after the cable channel gets the wire story that bugs me. I no longer trust CNN, Fox (especially Fox which has become the official government channel), or any of the big three. I really like the Christian Science Monitor news service. They run an AP wire at:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/fronts/HOME?SITE=MABOC&SECTION=HOME

and their online news edition seems very much unbiased:

http://www.csmonitor.com/

I also think a person should read a business web site or use business news channel, because an investors slant on current events is going to have a lot more of a critical eye on claims and conjectures.
post #80 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 04:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Myself, after years of education and work as a computer programmer, I am brainwashed into seeing logic as the only way to truth. But when we look at things using inductive logic, we still have a make that "leap of faith" and so much of what we see today requires inductive analysis because our media and government never give us the information we need to arrive at a deductive conclusion, so yes, in that sense I am a slave to intuition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in