Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
RE: Story of Bush's conversion

Quote:
kerry edwards - 11/9/2004 2:39 PM

Quote:
kvining - 11/9/2004 12:53 PM
I've heard two different versions of the Bush conversion. His official version is that it happened after a walk along the beach with Billy Graham, arranged by his Dad after W insulted Big Momma, after which Bush threw away his crutches and walked.

The tent show guy story was originally told by Don Evans, Secretary of Commerce and the guy who actually cleaned up Bush's act. Evans is caught on film telling the story and you can catch it on the A&E channels when they run Bush's bio.

In truth the stories both serve political purposes. Billy Graham is much more socially acceptable to Northern Republicans who might be bothered by the fact that Bush received his salvation from a tent show guy. The tent show guy story was in play during Bush's rise in Texas politics, and was part of the Bush myth created by Rove and Evans as they built Bush's evangelical base. I think the real truth is Dady told W to sober up or he was going to cut off the money, and Daddy appointed Evans to clean up the son's act and help him make something of himself. I think what we ended up with is a President who is still doing drugs of some sort, and that he has never really sobered up, and that Christianity is just a tent show act. Can I get a witness?
I agree that Bush tells the Billy Graham story and fails to mention the Arthur Blessit story because it would be politically disadvantageous in the North to say Blessit got him saved. But I also think it is quite possible that Bush really did get 'saved'. In fact, it seems to me that for a fair proportion of 'born againers', being saved does not mean stopping sinning, but simply means they decide to do a better job of covering up their sins.
I think I mentioned this before but I had a friend who was "saved" who cheated on his wife all the time and then state it was ok because he was "saved" and therefore absolved from sin. I wonder if that is the same reasoning Bush uses for dropping bombs on kids in a playground.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 12:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004

Quote:
Howitzer - 11/9/2004 2:45 PM

Imagine an Amoral president.
I have no problem with an immoral, amoral whatever president if we are talking in terms of sexual morality. As long if he pursues the nations business well, I don't care if he sleeps with Baa Baa Black Sheep. Hell, 90% of the presidents of European democracies have girlfriends on the side and the voters could care less. Same here. I have a lot more of a problem with religious hypocrisy, or with a prez who wants to impose his religion on others.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 01:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
kvining - 11/9/2004 2:50 PM

I think I mentioned this before but I had a friend who was "saved" who cheated on his wife all the time and then state it was ok because he was "saved" and therefore absolved from sin. I wonder if that is the same reasoning Bush uses for dropping bombs on kids in a playground.
Or as leader of the free world allow a madman to execute rape and torture millions of his subjects.

So I guess you're right doing nothing would be immoral.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 01:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Are you referring to Bush 1 or Reagan?
I forget when this was taken.

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 01:11 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
kvining - 11/9/2004 3:09 PM

Are you referring to Bush 1 or Reagan?
I forget when this was taken.

things change.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 01:14 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)

Bush is far too simple a man to understand life without some sort of crutch like religion. He is also an idealist that of course has to turn to substance abuse from time to time to deal with reality
But why go on about Bush. He is the puppet of the manipulative republican administration. He is perfect in this role. The republicans like Rove, Ashcroft, etc. are merely bitter, mean, old white men who let the power go to their heads long, long, ago. They are intelligent though. They use their knowledge to manipulate the masses. They are out for themselves and no on else. They justify their acts by telling themselves they have it coming because they are just so darn smart. They are good. Good enough to win the last election, even though the facts behind the war and economy tell a desperate picture.

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 01:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Shane - 11/9/2004 3:14 PM

Bush is far too simple a man to understand life without some sort of crutch like religion. He is also an idealist that of course has to turn to substance abuse from time to time to deal with reality
But why go on about Bush. He is the puppet of the manipulative republican administration. He is perfect in this role. The republicans like Rove, Ashcroft, etc. are merely bitter, mean, old white men who let the power go to their heads long, long, ago. They are intelligent though. They use their knowledge to manipulate the masses. They are out for themselves and no on else. They justify their acts by telling themselves they have it coming because they are just so darn smart. They are good. Good enough to win the last election, even though the facts behind the war and economy tell a desperate picture.
I wouldn't call that statement too complex it looks like a cut and paste blog.

Bush far too simple hahaha

so simple he became president of the USA, so simple he did it AGAIN against a so called superior.

Dumb like a fox.

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: 300d, 409d
(Thread Starter)

I agree completely with your characterization.

But, one reason to go on about Bush is that he was the person people voted for. I think it is an absolutely brilliant political strategy to run a simple minded man for president while keeping the calculating intellectual heavyweights in the background.
It's why my comment on another thread was only half a joke. The left does need to resurrect Jim Jones, clone him and run the clone for president. A simple minded religious man with leftist values could compete with Bush for a lot of votes.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 01:48 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
kerry edwards - 11/9/2004 3:32 PM

I agree completely with your characterization.

But, one reason to go on about Bush is that he was the person people voted for. I think it is an absolutely brilliant political strategy to run a simple minded man for president while keeping the calculating intellectual heavyweights in the background.
It's why my comment on another thread was only half a joke. The left does need to resurrect Jim Jones, clone him and run the clone for president. A simple minded religious man with leftist values could compete with Bush for a lot of votes.
Ummmmmm I wouldn't go that far but for the sake of discussion fine I REALLY hope the dems do that. The far left platform is very unpopular so they run guys with brains that takes peoples less complex minds off the fact that he will ban guns, SUV's and hand their paychecks to bums.

What the left needs is something closer to center like may I say Clinton? I can say the same for the Repub's were all a bunch of magnets with opposing polarities and the country won't last too long at status quo. The grey is gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in