You knew it was true now heres proof! - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
RE: You knew it was true now heres proof!

A note from Bill Well
I'm the one who posted the IQ chart correlating IQ and votes in the 2000 election. As the "humor" contributor, I am the one that tracks down amusing stories or cartoons to post here at the American Assembler.
When I posted this chart I had no idea the ruckus it would cause from both the left, who opposed conjuring up the whole IQ business, and the right, who opposed the supposed stats.
As this has gotten a bit out of hand, I feel, and the editors feel, that I should take responsibility for posting this thing and clarify my reasons and intents about using what is clearly suspect data in the first place.
It was irresponsible of me to post this chart in this format and I apologize to the American Assembler and it's readers for having done so. It was never my intent for anyone to take this seriously and I erred in judgment in not realizing that people would. Even if this chart is not a hoax, as it most probably is, it was inappropriate to post it for it is simply offensive.
I have to say that I did not invent this chart. It's been floating around for years. All I did was dress it up a bit. But I regret posting it and I regret the fallacious distraction it's caused from the real issues presented on this site. And yes, I even apologize to Republicans for implying they are stupid. Some people around here still think there's hope for you all.
I now agree with some readers, and my editors, that, while I thought this would be a bit of amusing banter, it is damaging to the credibility of the Assembler and distracting from the real issues facing our country. My attempt to mock Republicans for voting for George Bush by posting suspect IQ data was not funny or constructive.
It is not the position of the American Assembler that there is any relevance whatsoever to any attempt to correlate intelligence or academic achievement with political leanings.
Once again, please accept my apologies for bad judgment and bad taste.
Bill Well
IQ averages in US States – best estimate available
from actual SAT and ACT scores below
adjusted for the fact that the IQ’s of these test takers are about 10 points above average
104 IQ New Hampshire
103 IQ Oregon, Massachusetts, Wisconsin
102 IQ Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Vermont, Washington
101 IQ Alaska, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Utah, Wyoming
100 IQ Arizona, California, Idaho, Maine, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Virginia, West Virginia
99 IQ Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana
98 IQ Florida, Arkansas
97 IQ Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, North Carolina, Tennessee, Texas
96 IQ New Mexico
95 IQ District of Columbia
94 IQ Mississippi, South Carolina
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 01:53 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: SLK 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I vote for Bill Well - Most honourable statement I've seen in a looong time. Now that is moral and ethical strength.

Let me take you on a SEE CRUZ!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 03:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2004

"IQ is a measure of how quickly one learns. It is not a direct means of measuring intelligence."

Depends on your definition of intelligence. Also, it is not only a measure of quick learning but also deciphering and memorization if the test is true.

If you are born with the tendency toward a high IQ it indicates you have the ability to be what is generally considered intelligent or at least excel in certain areas of learning. I scratch my head also at Bush's IQ as it seems many times he is at a loss for words during interviews, debates and such. You know, sometimes he uses the same word over and over like the neurons are distracted or something. It is puzzling. He could also be dyslexic or something?

Others are too impatient to take the time to look something up when they don't understand it's meaning so they really never progress in some areas of learning even though they may have a good IQ. Personality surely plays a role in the equasion. Kerry to me projected himself to be above average intelligence and maybe even smarter than President Bush. Intruiging to say the least.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 07:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Perhaps when you say, "projected" therein lies a clue.

What Kerry has is a more polished speaking style. Some people have a natural gift for transmitting information by voice and body language. I'm thinking really good actors, for example. But if speaking style were linked to intelligence, then there are some brilliant mofos wandering around looking for jobs in Hollywood and on Broadway. But we've all seen what happens with the majority of actors without a script or entourage, and it ain't inspirational.

In contrast, we have a physical basket case who's speech is practically unintelligible to most humans but is brilliant beyond imagination--Stephen Hawking. Put Hawking in a debate with Kerry and Kerry would kick Hawking's ass.

In other words, Kerry and Bush may or may not be of equal intellect. You sure aren't going to determine that differential by watching them perform on TV.

I am reminded of Plato's dialogue, "Meno".
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 07:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

I am glad an IQ does not measure your wealth. I would be real poor. I was even was on the decade plan in college.

I guess if I had an high IQ, I would realize it not worth it to own businesses to give folks jobs because I am tax to death.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 08:13 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 1996 Stang, 1995Jeep

Hmmmm, my IQ (as measured in 5th grade) was somewhere around 146. I never thought of myself as "gifted" or "smarter than others" although I did think I was "intelligent" i.e. somewhere in the "middle of the pack." My wife's IQ is, I believe, 152. We are middle class, one kid. My wife has a BA, I have an MS (took me 9 years part time to get it). We both are pro-Bush, mostly because Kerry was such a putz. Does this mean anything? Only that we are both smarter than most reporters and writers working for the British tabloids claiming that people like us are "dumb."

Try to figure out my "point." I love toying with the less intellectually endowed liberals. [:p]
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 08:19 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: '85 300TD

Botnst - 11/5/2004 10:24 PM
I am reminded of Plato's dialogue, "Meno".
one of my favorite memories from college... in response to some less than probing answers to questions he'd asked regarding our reading assignment...

"You've got to read the damn Meno!!! Fuck!"

we laughed for 10 minutes.

'85 300TD Pastel Beige
361,500 miles and counting
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 11:58 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Sep 2004

BlackHawk - 11/5/2004 3:24 PM

Proof, how easy it is to fool a fool.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: