More accurate map of electoral tendancies. - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 01:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: More accurate map of electoral tendancies.

Quote:
danwatt - 11/6/2004 1:51 PM

I believe the Mennonites were for Kerry. They were mainly against the war in Iraq, and Kerry also wasn't too keen on abortion or homosexuality, so they went with him.
For sure - most of my family are Mennonites.
From a Mennonite article
“Love of the enemy is at the heart of our faith,� Roth said. “We would do well to remember that when we vote for the president of the USA, we are voting for the commander-in-chief of the armed forces.�

Roth believes the differences among presidential candidates are illusory. Any candidate will have an America-first perspective, which is problematic for Anabaptists whose primary allegiance is to Jesus Christ.

“Not voting shows our children that we are citizens of an international kingdom, the kingdom of the body of Christ,� Roth said.

Roth said not voting does not mean retreating from civic life. He said political involvement means caring about the community. Relating to foreigners, welcoming the homeless and being advocates for victims of domestic violence are all political acts.

I'm sure most of them did not vote -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 01:56 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: 300d, 409d

Quote:
crash9 - 11/6/2004 3:35 PM

Quote:
danwatt - 11/6/2004 1:51 PM

I believe the Mennonites were for Kerry. They were mainly against the war in Iraq, and Kerry also wasn't too keen on abortion or homosexuality, so they went with him.
For sure - most of my family are Mennonites.
From a Mennonite article
“Love of the enemy is at the heart of our faith,� Roth said. “We would do well to remember that when we vote for the president of the USA, we are voting for the commander-in-chief of the armed forces.�

Roth believes the differences among presidential candidates are illusory. Any candidate will have an America-first perspective, which is problematic for Anabaptists whose primary allegiance is to Jesus Christ.

“Not voting shows our children that we are citizens of an international kingdom, the kingdom of the body of Christ,� Roth said.

Roth said not voting does not mean retreating from civic life. He said political involvement means caring about the community. Relating to foreigners, welcoming the homeless and being advocates for victims of domestic violence are all political acts.

I'm sure most of them did not vote -

That seems to be the consistent Anabaptist position. I attended a Mennonite church for a while in Toronto, and the members there had heated debates about whether they should pay taxes since their $$ were being spent on weaponry.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
kerry edwards - 11/6/2004 3:07 PM

It gets even worse. The Hutterites are voting for Bush:"Who's going to vote them in if we Christians don't?" said Joel Decker, a member of Starland Hutterite Colony in Gibbon, Minn., who plans on voting in his second presidential election next month.
"I'm ultraconservative in the political arena," he said.

The Hutterites are out and out communists. (Who do the Hutterites vote for in Alberta, John?)

I'm beginning to think the only hope of the left is to go to Guyana, dig up Jim Jones body, clone him and have him run for president. Then there'd be the perfect combination of a religious wacko with the leftist values of social justice, economic fairness and racial equality.
Oh man, that's funny, Kerry!
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 03:10 PM
BenzWorld Member

Most Mennonites file form 4029, which is for an exemption from Social Security and Medicare taxes and waive any rights to benefits.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 05:11 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: 300d, 409d

Mark Shields had an interesting interpretation of the election pattern on PBS last night. He said Bush won the popular vote in the 11 states of the Confederacy by 5 million. This means he lost the popular vote in the rest of the country by 1.5 million.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Too bad the other candidate didn't do as well.

How about this: You can select any given cluster of states and shift the vote 5M and come to the same conclusion.

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Does anyone else think the wrong side won that stinkin war? Or, maybe the Union army should've just abolished slavery, freed all the African Americans, then set the south free to pursue those elusive "moral values" on their own. Every freakin four years we have to deal with their peculiar brand of retro-antibellum politics.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 11/6/2004 10:01 PM

Does anyone else think the wrong side won that stinkin war? Or, maybe the Union army should've just abolished slavery, freed all the African Americans, then set the south free to pursue those elusive "moral values" on their own. Every freakin four years we have to deal with their peculiar brand of retro-antibellum politics.
Are you referring to the War of Northern Aggression?
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 08:36 PM
BenzWorld Member

Oh lord.

Guys, look at the county-by-county map: http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/JAVA/election2004/. There isn't a north/south delineation between Bush voters and Kerry voters. The Democratic boogeymen are actually residing in the midwest and northwest.

I hate to see this election used as an excuse to expose your anti-southern bigotry. "War of Norhtern Aggression", indeed. [:(!]
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Don't forget that I lived and worked down in your neck o' the woods. Not bigotry, just crankiness and a desire for any excuse to breakup a dysfunctional union.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in