BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
RE: Mr. Bush’s Supporters

GermanStar - 11/4/2004 7:19 PM

Botnst - 11/4/2004 5:11 PM

A more interesting questions for Christians to ask is what would Jesus do? Would he want us to kill bad guys? The safe answer is, "No". But the neat thing about Jesus is that he didn't usually take the obvious path nor the easy answer.
It seems to me that if you don't follow the teachings of Christ, then you probably shouldn't call yourself a "Christian", unless the name "Christian" is actually derived from another source of which I'm unaware. I don't recall anything about 'vanquish thine enemy' in the NT, although my familiarity with said text is admittedly fleeting.
That's a good question.

Its always easier to condemn people from one's own ignorance than it is to do the work to be informed.

Kerry Edwards alludes to a test that some pope or other used to decide whether a war was just or not. But that neatly avoids the question of what Jesus would say. Not being a mind reader of my fellow man, I can assure you that my skills dealing with the intricate mind of a triune God are much worse.

So I think you end-up at a crossroads. In one direction you look for scripture and precedent and in the other direction you ask God directly. Folks who ask God directly and get a direct answer vary from mennonites and Quakers to David Koresh or Richard Coeur de Lion.
Sponsored Links
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 05:02 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: 300d, 409d
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have no idea if the Pope ever applied Just War Theory to any war or not. The Papacy doesn't have a very good record on WWII as I recall.
I also don't think there's one Christianity. On the question of war, there are at least two main ones that I am familiar with, the pacificists like the Mennonites and Amish who come from the Radical Reformation and the Just War Theorists who draw on Augustine and Aquinas to develop a set of criteria for determining whether a war is just or not.

But what I really wanted to learn by my question, is what an evangelical who takes his or her faith seriously has to say about Bush's war. We've had lots of justifications for the war on this forum, but I don't recall anyone addressing the question with a Christian twist. I know a number of Christians who support Bush and his war mindlessly. I don't want to put all religious supporters of Bush into that category. Jim Wallis, the leftist evangelical seems opposed to the war, but since MS has been an outspoken defender of what I took to be a certain kind of evangelicalism, and at the same time a supporter of Bush, I thought he would be a good person to answer the question.
I think the question is pretty important given the massive number of evangelical voters who lined up behind Bush.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 06:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

One thing that may be pertinent that I read or heard recently was this: Evangelicals do not separate fighting terrorism, evangelism, democratization, and liberty at home from morality. They are all expressions of God's plan.

This is what Bush uses to great effect when he asserts that liberty is not America's blessing to the world but God's blessing to mankind. It speaks exactly the language they want to hear. So, you don't set about to kill people, you set about to work God's plan on Earth. The death of people behaving badly is on their own heads.

I think I recount it accurately.
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Cruise Control
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon/'01 EV Weekender
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

...the lord doesn't want folks to defend their homelands against invaders with "moral values" in their hearts and hip pockets.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 05:45 PM
BenzWorld Member
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The evangelicals look at what is happening in Iraq as just a part of and unstoppable event, just as the Jehadistas believe we’re in the period that they will rule the world before what they call the “end of days�.
[“These events which are about to be unleashed on this world, even though global in nature, appear to focus on one thing - the tiny nation of Israel. One tiny piece of land. A speck of land when compared to the massive, rich, and powerful enemies that surround her on all sides (look at a map). A land God calls His own. God says He owns it and the sons and daughters of Israel are His. The Bible says the children of Israel will be punished for profaning God’s Holy Name while dispersed among the nations (Ezek. 36:17-29). The Bible warns the rest of the world will not go unpunished and also warns the enemies of Israel are the enemies of God . . .

"Cursed be everyone who curses you [Israel],

and blessed be those who bless you!"

(Gen 27:29)

The situation in Israel and the Middle East will continue to grow worse and worse. Watch your television. There will be no peace in Israel until the Messiah, Jesus Christ, returns. Don’t be seduced into believing the political rhetoric and deceptions coming out of your television concerning "peace settlements" or Israel’s enemies willing to trade "land for peace." Know this, that through the shrieking and howling of the enemies of Israel and their empty promises, it is not the size of Israel they fear, but it is the existence of Israel. Her enemies (including many of our national leaders) will try to coerce her with promises, they will threaten her, they will attack her, Russia and allies are going to invade her, the coming world leader who will soon rise over Europe (the Anti-christ) will seduce her with promises and treaties, all of the nations of the world will turn against her, and the armies of the world will someday gather against her at Armageddon to strike her with a final death blow.�]
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: