post #31 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 06:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2 each 95 E300, 98 E300, 05 E320 wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Fear wins. The world loses.

Quote:
Dang, I didn't know the US was so full of uneducated rednecks!!
You need to get out more often Stefano[;)].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 06:05 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2002

All work and time spent at the computer makes Stefano a dull boy.... [:D]

Current:
1995 E-320, 163*** miles
1987 190-E 16-valve, 150*** miles

Former:
1980 300-D, approx. 225*** miles, donated to the National Kidney Foundation.
1980 240-D, 297500 miles, totalled when hit by innatentive driver. Missed dearly.
post #33 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 06:07 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1989 420sel

Quote:
OceanView - 11/3/2004 3:44 PM

If you look at this map you will see one thing in common. The blue states include cities with highly educated people and the red states? I think you can figure out why it's in red.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/president/
And you wonder why the nation is divided? What next, Blacks and Whites? Jews and Gentiles?

Can we say bigot?

Now I gotta go down to fetch some water from the crick - stopping by the out-house on the way. And I hear we're getting runnin water next year... As long as the Indians don't do no uprisin...

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? But that's what you were saying...

91 BMW 325i Cabrio - "Tasha"
89 MB 420sel - "Helga"
post #34 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 06:08 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 1983 380 SEL

Quote:
jjl - 11/3/2004 6:50 PM

Another is religious conservatism.
Cant help you there, not religious.[:)]
Quote:
Another is minimal (relative to Europe) state-provided health care (notice I didn't say 'free'),
Because we dont believe in wealth redistribution. Money earned by an individual is his/her money until he/she spends it. It is not the government's money to take and give to those who refuse to work. And as a libertarian, all such services should be privately done, through charities, for example. A health-care system in which the government meddles with it drives down the quality of health care and drives the costs up.
Quote:
a very strong military,
You can't protect a vast country without a large military. I agree that we need a few less foriegn bases, but in a time of terrorism, anyone who dares suggest making the .mil smaller would be lucky if he weren't lynched. Its like suggesting you slash your tires and puncture your gas tank before a road trip, only you dont risk your well being on such a road trip.
Quote:
a belief that force can solve most problems (I could be wrong about that one too)
I dont necessarily believe that, but its nice to have the ability to back up your words. Words without the ability (and fortitude) to back them up are impotent. Our country was founded on making sure we could protect ourself from all agressors, and every time we have slacked in that reguard, someone decided that they were going to take a pot-shot at us (GBR, Japan, terrorists)
Quote:
intolerance of homosexuality,
Not me. My barber is gay. To each their own. Gay Marriage: Governments should have no say in marriage, which is clearly a religious event. Civil unions should be in order for all, for legal purposes. The couple should find a church that will "marry" them.
Quote:
abortion
Touchy subject, in that no one truely "knows" when life starts. Religion creeps in here alot.
Quote:
One thing I find particulary difficult to understand is how many americans strongly believe in individual responsibility and merit, and at the same time supporting a military-industrial nationalistic state - seems contradictory.
I am not sure how they are contradictory. But I also dont see how we have a military-industrial nationalistic state either, so it could be my "Blinding Patriotic Goggles"...[;)]

208,000 miles
post #35 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 06:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
OceanView - 11/3/2004 4:44 PM

If you look at this map you will see one thing in common. The blue states include cities with highly educated people and the red states? I think you can figure out why it's in red.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/president/
Oh man, that ought to appeal to a lot of folks who live in the red states. tell them their ignorant goofs and they'll clambor to support you. Great idea. You want to be the permanent minority, right?

Welcome to the Libertarian Party! We're smarter than all get-out and nobody gives a $hit.
post #36 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 06:26 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL

Thanks for the reply, mike. I understand the reasoning behind a lot of the libertarian ideas, and some of them are very attractive, for example, in their advocacy of individual freedom, particularly cutting down the state's interference in people's lives. I just think it isn't quite as simple as making everyone entirely responsible for themselves and no others, and the 'common good' will be maximised (I don't know if this is a goal of libertarianism - is it?). It seems, uh, a little harsh on those who don't fit in. I'm drifting off topic here.

Anyway, I wonder how much real fear there is amongst democrats for the future, particularly regarding Iraq?

post #37 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 06:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 89 300E

Quote:
jjl - 11/3/2004 7:58 PM

opps I mentioned religion.

Capn, my ancestors probably saved your ancestors at some point (in fact my ancestors WERE your ancestors going back a bit more, but I digress). But seriously, that point is a very good reason why US & Europe should not drift apart, because we depend on each other and share a common heritage, there are enough real enemies to go round, dontcha think?
Yep, but if Europe were invaded would you rather have George Bush in power or John Kerry asking for permission from the UN before helping you?

"The above post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Cap'n Carageous nor this forum. It may be presented as an attempt at humor or as a quote or paraphrase from another author. Any feelings hurt by this post are the responsibility of the reader. No animals were harmed in the making of this post." Member F.D.I.C. Tax tag and title extra.
post #38 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 06:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
Cap n Carageous - 11/3/2004 6:53 PM

See there!!! Now THAT'S why EVERYONE shouldn't be allowed to vote!! Them damn country people done gone and elected a dang REPUBLICAN!!! It's the end of the world I tell yall, the end of the world!!!
Hey, don't put me in with "them", I supported this admin on two things: Iraq (incl terrorism) and taxes. You can keep the Repo social welfare and corporate suck-up mentality. It just happens that my two favorite topics overwhelmed everything else that I consider important.

Far, far down the list of collateral damage taht I deeply appreciate from a Dubyah win is the wonderful F**K YOU that we have sent to the EU and UN. I have thoroughly enjoyed and gloated over every dang European editorial that I've read. I especially enjoy the ones that wonder how their country will adjust to the reality of a complete mandate from the people of the USA to the Prez and Congress.

Good morning, little darlings. Wakee, wakee boys and girls in Europe. We are not Spain.

Yo, terrorists, here's your answer: Start a vegetable farm or die.
post #39 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 06:32 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL

You got me there, W of course. Hell I'm taking a pounding here.
post #40 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 06:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 89 300E

Quote:
jjl - 11/3/2004 8:32 PM

You got me there, W of course. Hell I'm taking a pounding here.
No harm intended. We are on the same side. W may not be the right man but Kerry was surely not. The US doesn't turn it's back on enemies, it sure won't turn on a friend. Well, France maybe!! But we never really liked them anyway!!

"The above post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Cap'n Carageous nor this forum. It may be presented as an attempt at humor or as a quote or paraphrase from another author. Any feelings hurt by this post are the responsibility of the reader. No animals were harmed in the making of this post." Member F.D.I.C. Tax tag and title extra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in